SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cheneys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: The Cheneys Reply with quote

Leeman, you've got me thinking...

Cheney '12? Can you IMAGINE the possibilities?

note: New topic to host off-topic thread/me#1

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, besides her last name, her lifestyle choices may be a significant barrier to national political success. Democrats and Liberals will be in a quandry as to whether they can ever support anyone named "Cheney" even though she passes several of their litmus tests. RINOs will probably support her, but Conservatives from both parties may bolt because of her opposition to traditional marriage and her gay lifestyle. Time will tell.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
RINOs will probably support her, but Conservatives from both parties may bolt because of her opposition to traditional marriage and her gay lifestyle.

Whoops...my bad. I was under the misassumption that she was a supporter of civil unions and traditional marriage.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There IS another Cheney daughter, #1.
Wiki Biography of Liz Cheney (the eldest daughter) and founder of Keep America Safe, a hawkish PAC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Cheney

You Tube video of Liz defending her fathers "torture" policies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AF9rV0tw6A
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bald...I've obviously confused the two. That being said, perhaps Liz Cheney warrants a closer look. I certainly like her pedigree.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of what is wrong with the GOP and conservative movement is the fact that they will not willingly open the door to people like Ms. Cheney because she is gay. How sad! Her life style is a personal choice and while it is not a lifestyle I understand we should not be short minded because someone is so different from us. There are quite a few gay conservatives who believe in less government, lower taxes, and a strong defense.

My roommate in the AF was gay. (and this was back in 1980!) How did I find out? I flat out asked her. She was a hard working, good, honest airman who wore the same uniform and loved her country as much as I did. Her choice in partners should just be that.

As a conservative who does believe in the traditional marraige and does not believe that there should be a consituitional amendment stating anything difference. I have a firm belief these issues should be left to the individual state not the goverment. I do not have a problem with civil unions - they should be allowed the same disadvantages that those of us who are married share also.

It is sad that a person would not vote for a person on the sole issue of them being gay...what is the difference as a person's religion? I knew people who did not vote for Mitt Romney because he was a morman. Is that not also being small minded? Or on someone because they believe in choice. Republicans on the far right would rather stay home than come out and vote for Rudy Guiliani...because he was pro-choice - a one issue voter is one that does not look at the bigger picture! They would rather have a person so opposite to all of their views then set aside the ONE issue that divides them.

One these issues this is what will hurt the GOP to gain control because of their unwillingness to open their hearts and minds to people who have the same belief's we do on all but one or two issues. Closing the door on these people hurt more than they help.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
Part of what is wrong with the GOP and conservative movement is the fact that they will not willingly open the door to people like Ms. Cheney because she is gay. How sad!

Theresa, while I understand your position, may I respectfully suggest that your "brush" is awfully broad.

While I certainly can't purport to speak for the "conservative movement", I certainly can speak for one conservative...me.

As you will note in my initial post, I found the prospect of exploring Mary Cheney's political viability as a GOP candidate to be an interesting one...until I learned of her position on "gay marriage". That's just a game-ender for me...and I suspect that is a game-ender as well for a large proportion of conservatives...not her sexual orientation.

All that being said and with apologies to Leeman, I'm sending myself to the woodshed for apparently instigating this topic hijacking and will move this off-topic discussion to it's own topic.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa, you have several good points. I would go a step further with the civil unions. Call it a "Civil Union", make sure it is not considered a "marriage", and leave sex completely out of it since the stated purpose of the "civil union" is to give the same "benefits" (tax, Wills, inheritance, hospital visits, buying a house, buying a car, etc.) as marriage without addressing any other relationship between them, otherwise, you are right back to the "pseudo-marriage" situation. Let it include two sisters, two brothers, an uncle and a nephew, a mother and son, a father and daughter, a mother and daughter, a grandmother and a grandchild, two Army buddies, ANY two people who do not intend to have "marital" relations since this is supposed to be a LEGAL arrangement, not a "romantic" one as a marriage would be....and see what kind of support that idea gets from the Gay Rights movement.

The only caution I would offer about the "big tent" movement for the GOP is, just like what has happened to our population due to illegal immigration, if you let too many non-conservative, pro-choice, anti-gun-rights, etc., people into the tent, they will eventually take it over, the way they did the Democrat Party. Elections for the past 40 years have shown that, given the choice between a Democrat and a RINO "Democrat Lite", neither the Democrats nor the Conservative Republicans will vote for the RINO, so that is an automatic loss for the Republican. Today, the main discriminating distinction between the Republican Party and the Democrat Party is that the Republican Party is still on record as the "Party of Life". That's not to say members of the GOP can't be pro-choice and be welcome, it just means that if the GOP runs a pro-choice candidate, the Democrat will win every time because most of the Conservative Republicans will stay home. It is not a "single" issue, but it is enough of a defining issue to keep a large block of Conservatives, Democrat, Independent, and Republican, from voting for the RINO. The Democrat "big tent" today is nothing but a Leftist Cabal because they never compromised on their "defining issue", ABORTION. They pretend to be fiscally conservative around election time to trick the uninformed voters, but they never pretend NOT to be pro-choice. That keeps their base in line to vote for them, and as in the last election when the Republicans abandoned virtually all of their core principles, they got creamed. I believe that if they give up the last principle, the pro-life position, at this stage in their pathetic attempt at a comeback, with the Democrats in near meltdown having been exposed as the totalitarians they are, it would be a fatal mistake. Most of the Conservative, Pro-life Democrats are now Independents...tossed out of their own "tent". They are looking for a rebirth of one or the other party as pro-life and Conservative. Those are the swing voters the GOP needs to invite into the tent, and they will not draw them by running more pro-choice, pro-gay-rights RINOs for office...the Democrat Party is already running those kinds of candidates..., so they will just stay home on election day...in my humble opinion.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay I did not mean to tread on anyone's belief and I know you know me well enough to understand that.

But what I am trying to saye if we often fail to realize that other people's lives influence their beliefs, ideas and always who they are.

I have friends who are gay who want nothing more than to just be in a loving, committed relationship and while I do oppose "gay marraige' because marraige is a sacriment. But on the other hand I would hate to deny someone a change at happiness because I disapprove of their relationship. Do they not deserve a chance at happiness? What gives us the right to deny them that? There are plenty of gay people who live in long committed relationship and often on the outside people have no idea they are gay! We should not judge other people because that is not the "Christain" thing to do.

I can quarentee when I got married ZERO was the number of people who supported and believed my marraige would work....we are at 28 years and going strong!

I know most of my friends considered me as far right as anyone they know. But I am and always will be prochoice. That is a big no-no in the republican party. Like most people it is due to my background. No I have never had an abortion. If I found out someone I loved was pregnant with an unwanted pregancy I would really talk them into try to have that baby and give it up to adoption. But the worst thing anyone can do if they do not want a baby is to bring it into this world already unwanted, unloved and the life that child will have will be total misery. The neglect children get in the hands of unloving parents are horribe. These scars stay forever. We have far to many kids in foster care because of parents who did not want them...and life they have is NO life. No child should live in fear, hunger, hate, beatings, and far worse sexual abuse...but most of these things happen to children by so called loved ones. Can you image going through a whole childhood feeling unloved? unwanted? told you wish you had never been born? told what a rotten horrible child you are? There are a lot of children who live in hell...and I would rather them not be born at all than to live some of these terrible nightmares some parents but there kids through.

There are plenty of athiest people who believe in less goverment, less taxes, liberty and since they are not "christians" does that not allow them to be asked to join the republican party?

We can all agree on some basic issues...just like the far right who would never, ever vote for someone who was pro-choice. They would stay at home and not vote. Is that any better than not voting?

I would rather want my party to be more inclusive than exclusive. There are alot of people who do not know what the republican party stands for because we all our individuals and have our different belief's - so should we not just be a little more fair minded and look at people for what they can bring to the party and while we can continue to disagree on some of the issues...let find the ones that we agree on and fight a common ground for that.

Because my belief abortion should be left to the states and that states people. Let the citizens who live there and decide and the federal government should have no say in any decision such as gay marraige, such as abortion, health care, welfare, or any other social decision.

The federal goverment's role should be small, a senator should have two jobs...a part time job in DC and his regular job in his home town. That each state should buy a house in DC and that is where he lives...amongst the people in DC. Like one of us so they can see. Secure our borders, keep our military strong, support our police and fire people and that is about it!

When our Senator's make MILLIONS - they have no concept of what is important to the average working family.

Our Senators of today have lost their touch with the people they serve. It is time to throw the majority of them out!
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Cheney name, is a big negative.

no more Bush.
no more Cheney.
period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: