SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real Bravery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDunlap
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Real Bravery Reply with quote

I wrote this and have been sending it to anyone who will listen. I have never been active in politics. As a police officer I did not feel I should be. However, I think this is the greatest challenge to our country and way of life we have ever faced. And we need a strong leader. Kerry is not it. I have titled this "Purple Hearts"

My name is Michial Dunlap. Normally, I would keep my mouth shut. I was not in the military. I was reporting for the draft in 1971 and a hernia kept me from serving. They would not accept me period. Since I did not serve and fight, I should not have a say. But when someone does something totally outrageous, all Americans should stand up and put a stop to it.

I have a close and trusted friend who served in Viet Nam at the same time John Kerry did. Like John Kerry, he received Purple Hearts, two of them. In the 15 years I have known him, he has told me many personal things. He has NEVER told me how he earned the Purple Hearts or his Bronze Star. All he has ever said is “A Purple Heart is easy to get in battle. All you have to do is stand up.”

For years I asked him what he did to get the medal. All he would say was he was very lucky. Now, I was not a soldier, but you don’t get medals due to luck. He said “I was a scared young man who ran. I was lucky that I ran in the right direction.” It took over ten years of friendship before he told me how he received one of his Silver Stars. And as he did, his voice still held the fear, anger, and intensity of the situation. Out of respect for my friend’s privacy, I will not say how he received the medal. I can say that it involved saving a wounded comrades life by carrying him several miles, with great personal sacrifice, danger, and the taking of many human lives close up.

Unlike John Kerry, my friend chose to stay in Viet Nam and serve his country. He served two tours of duty there.

Unlike John Kerry, my friend did not get on a stage with Hanoi Jane Fonda to say how we were committing atrocities, war crimes, and murdering people. And my friend never did anything to hurt or hinder veterans returning home from this war.

Unlike John Kerry, my friend did not throw his medals over a fence and later claim he only simulated doing that. He never disgraced the men or the memory of fallen comrades when he came back.

Unlike John Kerry, my friend still honors the men he served with. He still cuts the grass and cleans the grave of a fallen comrade. We go to Washington D.C. at least once a year on business. Each time we go, without fail, he goes to the Viet Nam Memorial. From memory, he goes to a certain place at the wall, reaches up, and touches a name. He closes his eyes and tears flow. I do not know the story behind this and I never will. I have not earned the right to know.

My friend is no different than 95% of the other Viet Nam veterans. They served their country under very trying circumstances for a public who did not honor them. They sacrificed more than we will ever know.

It is amazing to me that a person can do what John Kerry did and think he has earned the right to be the Commander in Chief over the same people who he dishonored after his Viet Nam tour of duty. I recently saw an old clip from the Dick Cavet show where John Kerry told him that he saw American soldiers rape women, kill civilians, and burn houses. John Kerry was a Naval Officer. Under the code of military procedure, as an officer he was suppose to put a stop to any illegal activities he witnessed. If he was unable to stop it, he was required by law to report it with names and bear witness against the person committing the crime. He never did so. Why not? No one has ever answered that question.

They talk of John Kerry risking his life to save another soldier. That is bravery at the moment. Real bravery is never compromising your personal integrity and doing what is right no matter what the circumstances. I would have respect for John Kerry if he had reported the atrocities through the proper channels. He has never named names and he has never come forward so we may prosecute these atrocities if they really occurred. I do not believe John Kerry ever saw them. I believe he has used this as a spring board for his political career.

At the time I am writing this, my son-in-law and nephew are serving in Iraq. I pray for their safety and every other soldiers safety daily. If elected, John Kerry will change the policies and action in Iraq and the war on terror. Then, everything our soldiers have done and all their sacrifices will be in vain. And when we are attacked in the future, he will do nothing. From his actions after Viet Nam, and his actions as a Senator, I do not believe he has the personal integrity or personal bravery to do what is right. Once again, we will be weak.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved your post to the main forum. This is not the stuff of "Geedunk & Scuttlebutt". This is the stuff of what this endeavor is all about.

Welcome Aboard!
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDunlap,

That was a very moving story. Thank you for telling it.

Also, being a police officer, in my eyes, you deserve the same thanks that all of these veterans deserve. Thank you Sir!

Semper Fi,

MarineBrat
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add my thanks for the service that your friend and all veterans have done to insure the freedoms of this country and also to yourself for protecting your community as a police officer.
NavyBrat
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very VERY moving, Very Cogent, and VERY well written. I hope you consider sending it off to every Editor of every newspaper. I could send you the information of our local newspaper, you can submit it online if you feel so compelled. They accept 200 words BUT they do features and will take up to 500 words for it. Yours is incredible and is worthy of such a feature.

Here's the Link

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/hdinfo/onlineform.html

Thanks for Sharing..
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Well written. More people should read the truth of those Vietnam vets who did serve.

Thanks
Traildust
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDunlap,
Well written and well taken on my part. Smile

Thank You and All LEO's for your service.
Traildust
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDunlap,
Your words are elegant and inspiring.
You are obviously a man of honor and conviction.
Bravo Zulu. You would have made a fine crewmember on any swiftboat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: