SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ex-USAF member joining
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Ex-USAF member joining Reply with quote

I just joined to give you guys support. I never served in the Navy or on Swift boats, a little too young. I joined the Air Force straight out of high school in June 72. Trained as a fire control (radar, gunsight, missiles) technician on F-4E Phantoms. Went TDY to Ubon, Thailand from June - Sept. 73, then back to Udorn, Thailand from Jan. 74 until I was discharged in Jan. 76 (770 days in-country). My AFSC (MOS) was 32251Q and I was discharged honorably as an E-4.
I don't personally know John Kerry, but I sure recognize the type. This is not a person we want to be leading our country, and I believe that the people that served with him and know him are also the key to defeating him in this election. You have my full support and I'm proud of everyone willing to stand up and tell the truth. This is going to get ugly, but keep the faith and best of luck to all of you.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I used the "post new topic" in the reporting for duty board, figuring it would go there. That won't happen again. About what you would expect from a zoomie, I imagine.
Embarassed
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Quote:
About what you would expect from a zoomie, I imagine.

meh-heh... I did the same (dumb?) thing when I signed on! Must be you've found a "basic truth" re: us zoomies ;-}

I was at Ubon May '73~'74. TDY'd to NKP, and other less friendly spots "in country" for "Documenting the Air Force Mission." Wink

This place is great. Pass the site addy to anyone willing to view it. Let them be the judge. It's gotten naught but favorable comments from those I've passed it to. And as a side benefit it gets vets in touch with one-another!

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem - good to have you aboard! Smile
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing wiper, from one ex-zoomie to another, welcome aboard! I was a gunner on AC-130A's in the 16th SOS RTAFB Ubon, Thailand 71/72. Only hit checkpoint charlie 67 times, though. Lot of other guys were way over a hundred. 67 was damn enough for me!

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about not being Navy of on Swift Boats. Many here served elsewhere and many never served at all, but are supportive of the Swift Boat crews.

I was Army, myself. Worked with LOHs (OH-6As for those who don't know what that is) and after Vietnam, went on to Germany where I took up OH-58s.
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner Mike wrote:

Quote:
I was a gunner on AC-130A's in the 16th SOS RTAFB Ubon, Thailand 71/72

Mike: I have a few photos of the 16th's "party wagon" with the short colonel (Italian sirname, can't remember) aboard... His SaawaDee party as I recall.

I'm tryin to dig 'em up soon.

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Doc! I would love to see 'em. That wouldn't by chance be Col. Luciani would it?

GunnerMike
Love ya man.
AF POL
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Another USAF Reply with quote

Retired AF Chief.

Through my years in the Air Force, everytime I had to deal with the Navy, it was a pain in the ass. Smile

I think they were pretty good on their boats but they should stay there and let the AF handle inland ops.

The Navy guys were also very parochial. They defended their own with a passion. That is a compliment.

But this site proves the Navy puts honor and truth first. Great job proving John Kerry doesn't deserve to be in public office, let alone the CINC.
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF POL, welcome chief. I see you were at what used to be called MAC HQ.
When I was a 141 engineer, we flew into Scott. After our 2 day release we took off heading for home, KCHS, 76th MAS. Right after takeoff, we lost all 4 generators while I was at the panel. You wanna talk about sweatin BB's!! We had to spend 2 more days at lovely Scott AFB. Ah, the memories.

GunnerMike
Love ya man.
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Wing Wiper and fellow Zoomies! I was at Korat RTAFB from December 71 to December 72 with the 388th Security Police Squadron, K9 division. I was one of those dark shapes with a puppy that you'd see on the perimeter of the base at night!

Welcome Home Guys!

War Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the welcome.
DrEntropy, Mike Winn, I have a few pics of your Spectre's around here I took on the ramp at Ubon. If you're interested, I'll dig them out and scan them for you. Nobody was around, so I took some pretty good shots. I was working in the F-4 Radar Cal hanger while I was there TDY on night shift.
War Dog: Hey, I was a Security Police Augmentee at Udorn, so I was out there with the "dark shapes" on the perimeter quite a few nights myself, especially in the corner between the bomb dump and the Air America compound, if you know the base. Tango 13 tower most of the time with a NOD scope (I can't believe I remembered that)
Cool
Good to talk to some vets again, I miss that. Keep the faith.
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GunnerMike wrote:
Quote:
That wouldn't by chance be Col. Luciani would it?

I believe it is. I was at Ubon from May to May in '73~'74. He rotated out during that time. I'm guessing you know some of my fellow 601st Photo weenies ;-}

We flew aboard Spectre missions with some regularity.

MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. E,

I'm sure we knew some of the same photo weenies. Seems like we had one on about every mission we flew. Our AC was Tim Hughey and co was Jim Stahlke. Talk about a couple of partiers!! We fought hard but we also played hard. BTW, were you a Doc in the AF!, a Flight Surgeon? Had a couple of those guys fly with us for 'time', too. Good to hear from some of the old guys. Man, talk about flashbacks. hehe

GunnerMike
Love ya man.
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper:

You'll find these guys some of the best you'll ever meet via cyberspace.
They could use all of our support, because the DNC is bringing out all the guns. Unfortunately for them, they have no idea who they are up against.
I wish I had known these guys when I was in uniform. It's an honor to be "welcomed aboard" by these crews.

Go Air Force!!! Medics, we're there when you need us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: