SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling all Marines
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Calling all Marines Reply with quote

I first posted this in the open forum, but thought I should also post it here where there's not so much noise from non-Vets. So far I've noticed two things:

1. No Veteran that I've shown this filth to had ever seen it before; I assure you, it's real. The book is out of print and VERY expensive, obtainable on Ebay only - I wonder why? You can see large excerpts and all the pictures at www.wintersoldier.com. The picture is also available on other sites.
2. Every Veteran I've shown this to expressed a negative reaction, some severely so. How could they not?

My own feelings about this are very strong; I believe that a vote for the man whose name is above it is a vote to dishonor one's self, but I'll try to understand if any Veteran doesn't feel as strongly as I do. Please tell me what you think; other Veteran's opinions on this despicable parody are very important to me. If you agree that it is dishonorable, please show it to as many people as you can. Thanks and Semper Fi!

An Insult To All Marines

The picture on the cover of John Kerry's book The New Soldier resembles the scene depicted in that famous photo of the Marines raising the flag on Mt. Suribachi. I believe that VVAW and Kerry were deliberately mocking that symbolically important event. It is apparent that the most beloved and reproduced photograph in American history - one that helped inspire our soldiers, sailors and Marines to victory in a tough campaign for our very existence and can now be found in every Marine Corps boot classroom - never made much of an impression on John Kerry, and that is still true to this day. If not, he would have apologized for such a grave insult to his country, to all who fought in WW2, and to all United States Marines. I call on all veterans, but especially ALL Marines, to avenge this insult by ensuring that John Kerry not only loses in November, but loses so badly that his political career is destroyed. That's my mission; how about you? Semper Fi! Walt (USMC ’65-’69)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between now and November my goal is to bring it to
the attention of every veteran I know. I have
also written letters to the editor about this photograph
and plan to write more.
If there is anything else I can think of, I will do it.

Montana

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt,

I'm with you all the way...

With your permission...I have copied the cover and will post it on my web page, along with your comments:

http://www.iwo.com

I guess it's about time we remind Kerry the Marine Corps takes care of its own...

What's the position he's applying for ? Oh, that's right, Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces...

Respectfully,

GySgt Alex
USMC
4EVER
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Insult to all Marines Reply with quote

Thanks, Gunney! Semper Fi
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]Walt,

I'm with you all the way...

With your permission...I have copied the cover and will post it on my web page, along with your comments:

http://www.iwo.com

I guess it's about time we remind Kerry the Marine Corps takes care of its own...

What's the position he's applying for ? Oh, that's right, Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces...

Respectfully,

GySgt Alex
USMC
4EVER[/quote

Enjoyed your website GySgt Alex.
Especially the ¨Wouldn´t you just love to join the Navy?¨

But for Amphibious sailors, you need to add a bunch of Marines to the
mix, and move the bathtub a LOT, especially if you´re
simulating an LST.

Montana
¨Splice the main brace and serve grog to the crew.¨
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: the Gunney's Iwo site Reply with quote

Great site, Gunney! Thanks for putting my essay and Kerry's Iwo parody photo in your Letters section. There's some neat stuff in there; I especially liked the poem about the French. I think some people wouldn't mind seeing that (hint,hint!). Thanks again and Semper Fi!
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: A worthy read Reply with quote

For all those Leathernecks unfamiliar with the events surrounding the flag raising, "Flags of our Fathers" should be on your "next read" list.

It's written by James Bradley, son of John "Doc" Bradley, a corpsman who is in the photo. It serves to illustrate the heroism and sacrifice those men made on the way to the famous photo and afterward. It is inherently "corpsman" slanted, but you'll find it intriguing anyway. It speaks to "atrocities" of the Japanese and all the things that our honorable brethren did on the beaches of those hell-holes.

My father fought on the beaches in WWII as a Marine, I had brothers in the Army, Air Force and Coast Guard in Vietnam, I served post-Vietnam in the Marine Corps and my daughter is currently serving (stateside) in the Corps. This depiction is one of the most repugnant photos I've seen in many years. To use hippies to portray "the few, the proud" and those warriors with a bandage: "corpsman" this way is a total disregard for the dead on those beaches.

To suggest I'd vote for a man who allowed this picture on the cover of his book is laughable. Parody is one thing, disrespect for the dead is another.
Semper Fi
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very seriously these slugs were ever in the Corps. Most likely Army.

Semper Fi.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
I doubt very seriously these slugs were ever in the Corps. Most likely Army.

Semper Fi.

I doubt very much that they served at all.
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A Worthy Read Reply with quote

You're right; Flags of Our Fathers should be required reading for every Marine. It was a great book. Welcome aboard and Semper Fi!
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Worthy Read Reply with quote

waltjones wrote:
You're right; Flags of Our Fathers should be required reading for every Marine. It was a great book. Welcome aboard and Semper Fi!

Flags of Our Fathers is a wonderful read.

When I look at the photo of Kerry´s book, ¨The New Soldier,¨
it reminds me of my duty with the US Navy and US Marine Corps
(joint command) at roughly the same time.
The Marines had an armory and the CO was concerned
war protestors would break into our command and gain entry
to the armory. We posted joint Navy/Marine guards 24 hours
to guard the building and armory. I carried a 12 guage with double
oo buck. The Marine with me carried a .45. That was the atmosphere
back in those days. Of course with ROTC buildings being burned down
and after Kent State, we didn´t know what would be next.
The protesters outside the building looked just like the ones in Kerry´s
book.

One day two college girls came into our building and asked
our CO if they could obtain a US Flag to protest the Vietnam War.
Our Navy commander physically ushered them out of our building. Some
of what he said to them is not printable here.

It was at this command where the Navy played against the
Marines (basketball, volleyball, etc.) almost daily. Most of the time the Marines
beat us...but I loved it when we won...because I knew the Major
would be calling in my friend (Staff Sgt) and would be chewing him out,
along with the rest of the Marines,
for allowing those squids to beat the US Marine Corps. It was
always a friendly competition, except for the Major. Believe
he wore his gold oakleaf inside his gym shorts. (just kidding)

Montana
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Welcome aboard Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and Semper Fi back Mac.

After thinking of that picture further, it seems that John Freakin Kerry pretty much has disrespect for all veterans of all wars. What next John, a parody of the Doughboys?
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome DevilDon and cudos to your family for their service.
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: To carpro Reply with quote

I am grateful for many things, but one stands clear....I haven't lost any family in support of our great nation. I hope this tradition continues. I know in "Forrest Gump" that Captain Dan wanted to continue the tradition. I applaud him for that, I believe my daughter should continue the tradition of surviving wars that my father and brothers have set for her.

For those who oppose what the SwiftVets are doing I ask one thing of you - please search your conscience and ask yourself if this is about the presidential candidates or about your political bs. These men came forward to tell you about a Vietnam we didnt' know.

It was political and the men charged with expediting orders were under strict orders. I'd not want my child to engage in such a war and neither would you. If you weren't there, please keep your politico bullsh*t to yourself, you can't comprehend. These men have come together to demonstrate a concerted effort to remove a mistake from the American history books. It's not an accident nor is it a political statement. I'd be willing to bet that many would be willing to look favorably on another Democratic candidate.

So get off your high-horse and pay attention... John Kerry would not be a good Commander in Chief. He doesn't have what it takes, regardless of your view of the past. This man will be called upon to direct the most powerful force in the history of mankind. If he can't run a Swiftboat, don't you just kinda wonder?
Gregg
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Calling All Marines Reply with quote

Senator John Kerry's actions upon returning from Vietnam were treasonous, disgusting, and wildly popular with Ho Chi Minh. The Senator has attempted to remove all extant copies of his book from circulation. He's the one probably most responsible for pushing the price of that book over a reputed $500 per copy on eBay. [Most likely he's using his heiress wife's fortune in an attempt to rewrite history.] I'm disgusted by his actions post-Vietnam. His book is a desecration of the Iwo Jima flag-raising. I will answer your call to arms.

Sincerely,

Gregg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: