SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varwoche
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Rice? Reply with quote

There is a serious bone of contention surrounding statements made by swifty Larry Thurlow: that Kerry doesn't deserve a medal because there was no enemy fire, yet Thurlow earned a medal in the same skirmish.

Granted, what follows is not earth shattering. It's a little detail in Thurlow's story that doesn't ring true. This may help us to get a handle on his veracity.

Isn't that how it works? If someone is dishonest, even about a small detail, the rest of the testimony is tainted?

Quote:
While Kerry claims the injury came from shrapnel from an underwater mine, Larry Thurlow, an officer on shore with Kerry that day, insists the wound was the result of Kerry's decision to throw a concussion grenade into a rice pile. The "shrapnel," he says, was actually rice pellets.
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39889

Now really, it is very unlikely that Thurlow would know precisely what object lodged into Kerry. Shrapnel? Random debree? Rice? Only someone who examined the wound up close could know what type of object it was.

Did Thurlow treat Kerry? He does not claim so.

Did Kerry sit down on the spot, extricate the foriegn object, and proclaim to Thurlow "it's rice"? Seems unlikely, given the circumstances.

Did Thurlow observe Kerry tending to his wound on the boat ride back to base? No, he was on a different boat.

Saying it was rice seems like a wise ass way to diminish Kerry further. It doesn't ring true.
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troll alert!!!

the man lived with kerry, he was yds away, he saw the action. HIS CO READ THE DOCTOR'S REPORT.

it's not like kerry was in a coccoon. do you have to be the one inspecting a wound to know what caused the wound?

i should hope not.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've missed the boat - no pun intended. Wink

There is a BUNCH of inconsistencies and exaggerations in that story, not just the issue of rice.

Kerry himself admitted that he had shrapnel and rice in his @$$. Thurlow was the skipper of another boat - the one that was within ten yards of picking up Rassman from the water after Kerry knocked him off his by suddenly accelerating his boat away from the #3 boat, which had been hit by a mine.
varwoche
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indianbaboon wrote:
troll alert!!!
I'm debating with colleagues, I posed some questions, someone suggested that I pose them here, so here I am.

Why would you jump to the conclusion this is a troll? Is it inappropriate to pose skeptical questions here? I will desist if that is the case.
varwoche
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
You've missed the boat - no pun intended. Wink

There is a BUNCH of inconsistencies and exaggerations in that story, not just the issue of rice.

Kerry himself admitted that he had shrapnel and rice in his @$$. Thurlow was the skipper of another boat - the one that was within ten yards of picking up Rassman from the water after Kerry knocked him off his by suddenly accelerating his boat away from the #3 boat, which had been hit by a mine.

Thank you.

I will never know with certainty what happened that day. Yet you seem to. Were you there?
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Granted, what follows is not earth shattering. It's a little detail in Thurlow's story that doesn't ring true. This may help us to get a handle on his veracity.

Isn't that how it works? If someone is dishonest, even about a small detail, the rest of the testimony is tainted?

Yeah, varwoche, you'd like that wouldn't you? Then this whole thing would just go away and Kerry would be OK again, right? WRONG! There are too many flat out lies and contradictions by Kerry for a minor inconsistency or two to derail these guys one iota. Kerry's going to get slaughtered by this stuff, and there isn't anything you or anyone else can do about it. Did you read the advance on Chapter 3, The Purple Heart Hunter? Devastating! How about Christmas in Cambodia? What a phony! On that one, Kerry flatly contradicts himself. He also talks of Nixon as President before he even took office! Perhaps you can explain to us how Nixon could order people into Cambodia before he became President! Look, Kerry's not only a proven liar; he's an IDIOT! Thatisall ...
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

var, I retract my troll alert

recently we've had a couple 'one post' instances wehre a new name comes on here, makes a comment, and then never is heard from again.

you not being one, bring the debates on Laughing
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varwoche wrote:

I will never know with certainty what happened that day. Yet you seem to. Were you there?

There are always several versions any given incident. Ask any police officer who makes inquiries about an armed robbery. But from twelve different eyewitness accounts, a general consensus can be formed.

I've stated many times that I am not a combatant, never have been. Peacetime Navy vet.

I do feel that that "general concensus" has been formed about the incident after reading from a bunch of people who WERE there and described the scene - almost 180 from what Kerry and crew described.

Have you read the documentation that accompanied the ad that went to the television stations? The cover letter is available on the main page under press releaseses.

The Swifts sent over a hundred pages in this very comprehensive package of supportive documents. What John Kerry wrote in his After Action Report is NOT what the other attendant skippers and crewmen saw.

Thurlow's boat was within yards of picking up Rassman. Maybe if Thurlow had been the one to haul him out of the water, today Rassman would be cussin' the good Senator for accelerating so fast that the threw him off the boat and singing Thurlow's praises, instead. Wink
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thurlow's boat was within yards of picking up Rassman. Maybe if Thurlow had been the one to haul him out of the water, today Rassman would be cussin' the good Senator for accelerating so fast that the threw him off the boat and singing Thurlow's praises, instead"

Rassman can't be ungrateful and probable feels that he owes Kerry a debt of gratitude. He also owes the other swifties the same gratitude, not lambasting.

When I heard Kerry speak at the DNC he was winning points with me. I'm glad that the REAL truth is coming out here. There is no way in the world that I would give Kerry my vote...and further more since his recollections about his tour are so flimsy I find it hard to respect the man at all...because to do so would be to disavow those swifties who walked the talk.
varwoche
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indianbaboon wrote:
var, I retract my troll alert

recently we've had a couple 'one post' instances wehre a new name comes on here, makes a comment, and then never is heard from again.

you not being one, bring the debates on Laughing

No prob Indianbaboon.

I look forward to a respectful exchange of viewpoints.

I am very appreciative to those who put their lives on the line, ostensibly defending the freedoms that I sometimes take for granted. In fact, that's why the attacks on Kerry's service record are troublesome to me.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but I would be likely to believe the shrapnel, if there was any, and the rice came from the same place.

So, was either swiftboat carrying rice? Or had the VC starting using rice as a packing material for underwater mines? Very Happy
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact, that's why the attacks on Kerry's service record are troublesome to me.

Are the personal attacks against the Swift Boat vets coming from the Kerry camp as troublesome, to you? So far, no one has disputed anything these guys have said, just called them lies. After that, the attacks start, personal attacks, digging into credit history, divorce records, whatever personal data they can uncover.

Kerry could clear this all up in a matter of minutes, just sign the release for all of his military records to be shown publicly.
varwoche
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
In fact, that's why the attacks on Kerry's service record are troublesome to me.

Are the personal attacks against the Swift Boat vets coming from the Kerry camp as troublesome, to you? So far, no one has disputed anything these guys have said, just called them lies. After that, the attacks start, personal attacks, digging into credit history, divorce records, whatever personal data they can uncover.

I'm not aware of these personal attacks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: