SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please, Sen. McCain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GT
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Please, Sen. McCain Reply with quote

Sen. McCain was on Imus this morning bemoaning the fact that Vietnam vets are going after each other due to the Kerry issue; in other words the old why can't we all just get along. He said when the vets came back from the war they were denigrated, made to feel bad for what they did, etc. Well, who does he think was a ringleader in that very effort to do so...none other than John Kerry. I find it hard to believe Sen. McCain doesn't realize this.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain can't afford NOT to take the high road and denounce this.

He was attached when he was running, he and Kerry are friends.

The Bush people are probably tickled pink, but they cannot show it. They must take the high road.
GT
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be refreshing if Sen. McCain would stay neutral in his remarks rather than offering condemnation of the Swiftvets' efforts. The Bush spokesman did that when questioned by reporters - he gave a "we wish no groups on either side would do this to the candidates" type answer, without actual condemnation.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: McCain Reply with quote

I suspect that Senator McCain mistook the Swift Boat Vets for Ted Sampley when he made his first remarks on this whole thing. After commenting that way, he probably doesn't want to be seen as flip-flopping.

A little bit of Google searching on Sampley reveals that he once put forth a Manchurian-candidtate style rumor that McCain was brain-washed in captivity, and that Sampley also punched out one of McCain's aides.

I think it's best to just leave McCain out of the debate as much as possible
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GodBlessUSA,

Once again, you are misinformed. Swift Vets has only been in existence since earlier this year (date is in a recent post, find it yourself). Therefore, they couldn't have been involved with anything done in 2000.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

Who is GodBlessUSA? Was that supposed to be an answer to me?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, GodBlessUSA had a disruptive post pulled.

GodBlessUSA has now, himself/herself been pulled.
arjr111
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well even Senator McCain can't have it both ways!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1185878/posts
Quote:
Sen. John McCain attacked a group of Vietnam veterans on Thursday for their appearance in a campaign ad condemning Sen. John Kerry for betraying his fellow soldiers, calling the commercial "dishonest and dishonorable."

But McCain himself complained about Kerry-led anti-war protests when he was released from the infamous "Hanoi Hilton" 31 years ago. In piece he wrote for the May 14, 1973, issue of U.S. News & World Report, the POW-turned-senator charged that testimony by Kerry and others before J. William Fulbright's Senate Foreign Relations Committee was "the most effective propaganda [my North Vietnamese captors] had to use against us."

"They used Senator Fulbright a great deal," McCain wrote - a reference to Kerry's 1971 Senate testimony that U.S. soldiers were committing war crimes in Vietnam as a matter of course.

He said Kerry political ally Sen. Ted Kennedy was "quoted again and again" by his jailers at the Hanoi Hilton.

"Clark Clifford was another [North Vietnamese] favorite," McCain told U.S. News, "right after he had been Secretary of Defense under President Johnson."

"When Ramsey Clark came over [my jailers] thought that was a great coup for their cause," he recalled. Months earlier, Sen. Kerry had appeared with Clark at the April 1971 Washington, D.C., anti-war protest that showcased his testimony before the Fulbright Committee.

"All through this period," McCain told U.S. News, his captors were "bombarding us with anti-war quotes from people in high places back in Washington. This was the most effective propaganda they had to use against us."

McCain biographer Paul Alexander chronicled the Arizona Republican's anger toward Kerry during their early careers in the Senate together.

"For many years McCain held Kerry's actions against him because, while McCain was a POW in the Hanoi Hilton, Kerry was organizing veterans back home in the U.S. to protest the war."

In his 2002 book, "Man of the People: The Life of John McCain," Alexander says that the two Vietnam vets finally reconciled in the early 1990s after having "a long - and at times emotional - conversation about Vietnam" during a mutual trip to Kuwait.

Later, Kerry sought to minimize the rift, telling Alexander: "Our differences occurred when we were kids, or at least close to being kids. It was a long time ago, and we both came back and realized that there were a lot of difficulties in the prosecution of that war."

manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words Kerry told McCain exactly what McCain wanted to hear even though Kerry was more than likely just blowing a bunch of sunshine - you know where...
NAV307
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to drift off topic ... but Senator McCain in no shining star of conservatism.

As I recall Sampley's problem with him was that he was the only returning POW who has not released his debriefing information ... and will not ... similar to Kerry's records refusal.

He is also joined with Kerry on the controversial POW legislation and on normalization of relations with Viet Nam ... strange positions for an ex POW.

On top of that he co-sponsored the "reform bill" that prevents non media and non 527 groups from airing candidate related info ... etc.

And he has demonstrated a signigicant ant-gun posture in the Senate.

A private opinion ... I wouldn't be surprised if his vote on election day falls in the democratic column.

NAV
Grateful American
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senator McCain must be a saint, if I went through the living hell that he went though as a POW, I could not ever forgive Kerry for what he did after returning from Viet Nam.
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am convinced that McCain is still suffering from PTSD

I still admire him to no end, the same way I admire all my acquaintances who served honorably in Vietnam who support Kerry, but his (and their) rationalizations get a bit too strange sometimes. Out of character and of subpar reasoning from what you'd expect from them.
concerned_voter
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody notice who traveled to Florida with the President to announce the new CIA director? McCain.

I figure that 2 hour flight should have been interesting!!! Wink
mcb58
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain is a dyed-in-the-wool POLITICIAN.

So be it. He really has nothing to say in this matter and his comments to the press are only adding the
possibility that the uninformed public may be thinking that this operation has partisian political motives.

But it may be a way for the administration to comment without actually commenting.
Cause I know that the President IS smiling.

Although I'm not a Swift Boater,,,, I whole heartly believe there are no political motives.

I am a vet, I have a brother MSGT in Iraq, I have two nephews in Iraq(one a SGT USMC)
(one BM1 USN) and a son EKC in USCG currently stationed in Cape May, who may I add was getting out until
President Bush Was elected

So you see I don't want Kerry in any position to command my family members or for that matter in
command of anyone in our Armed Forces.

I don't believe Kerry is fit to command a Boston Whaler.

Actually, Didn't he violate and is still in violation of the Constitution?

Article 14 Sec 3

THE GREAT FIFTY-EIGHT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: