SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAMBODIA: "It was January - Not Christmas"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVN Airborne Infantry
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: CAMBODIA: "It was January - Not Christmas" Reply with quote

******All Hands On Deck. Airborne!

JANUARY -- NOT CHRISTMAS -- KERRY IN CAMBODIA

http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc93.htm

**Exclusive**

TOUR OF DUTY author and John Kerry historian Doug Brinkley is rushing a piece for the NEW YORKER: to set-the-record-straight on Kerry's Christmas in Cambodia tale, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Kerry has turned to author Brinkley for a "modification" after it was exposed that Kerry was not in Cambodia during Christmas of 1968, as he once claimed from the Senate floor.

The Brinkley piece for the NEW YORKER will now say that Kerry was not in Cambodia during Christmas, but rather in January, publishing sources tell DRUDGE.

MORE

Since the early 1970s, Kerry has spoken and written of how he was illegally ordered to enter Cambodia. Kerry mentioned it in the floor of the Senate in 1986 when he charged that President Reagan’s actions in Central America were leading the U.S. in another Vietnam. Here’s what he said as excerpted from the new book, UNFIT FOR COMMAND:

"I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the president of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia. I have that memory which is seared--seared--in me."

John O’Neil’s, author of UNFIT FOR COMMAND, comments on the “clarification:”

“John Kerry describes Christmas Eve in Cambodia as a critical turning point in his life. We now know that his story is completely false. My question is how many people do you know have invented a turning point, one that is seared in his memory? While it makes sense for John Kerry to come clean about the Cambodia story, it is one of several tales that the Kerry campaign will have to face and clarify.”

“By claiming we were engaged in a war crime and crossing international borders, John Kerry damaged the credibility of all the commanding officers above him and insulted the sailors who served with him,” said John O’Neill, member of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.”

[Curious: Any other veterans struggling to remember where you positioned yourself on Christmas Eve in Nam? ........seared in my airborne mind!]
Medals Received-None Requested-None Thrown
.................Bacitracine Free PH...............
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMBODIA: "It was January - Not Christmas" Reply with quote

RVN Airborne Infantry wrote:
******All Hands On Deck. Airborne!

JANUARY -- NOT CHRISTMAS -- KERRY IN CAMBODIA

http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc93.htm

**Exclusive**

TOUR OF DUTY author and John Kerry historian Doug Brinkley is rushing a piece for the NEW YORKER: to set-the-record-straight on Kerry's Christmas in Cambodia tale, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Kerry has turned to author Brinkley for a "modification" after it was exposed that Kerry was not in Cambodia during Christmas of 1968, as he once claimed from the Senate floor.

<SNIP>

[Curious: Any other veterans struggling to remember where you positioned yourself on Christmas Eve in Nam? ........seared in my airborne mind!]

I was flown onto the USS Hancock in Nov 1968
HONEST ... I cannot remember if I was sweeping the compartment, retrieving laundry, etc. for the squadron as the designated new guy during Christmas, or whether I was having my first experience in Olongapo. I do remember that everything I experienced was completely different to anything I'd imagined as a youth in Nebraska. The other thing I'm foggy about is whether Kerry made it back to the states before or after the Hancock made it back. What I do know is that I went back in '69, '70, and '71. 71 sticks in my mind .... yeah ... we'd already participated in Cambodia in '70, the cruise was ending, our relief went 'dead in the water', and we almost missed making it to Austraila (Sydney), and I almost missed finding out what a "Shellback" is. I is one of those, too. I keep that card in the same box with the medal I didn't do much to earn for helping invade Cambodia illegally Evil or Very Mad The more I read about the horse puke Kerry has said publicly and written, the madder I get.
I plead guilty as charged to being one of those who just tried to blow the whole thing off after I got out.
Oh yeah ... let me come clean about that. It actually wasn't "68-72". I got out 39 days early, December of 1971, because the Navy didn't see the wisdom of starting me on another cruise and discharging me in Hawaii. I did not, however, request this on my own volition so I could run off and join a bunch of activists calling the rest of you war criminals and baby killers. I just exceeded all speed limits driving from Miramar to (South Sioux City) Nebraska, so I could finally spend Christmas with my family. One month later I was renting a house with two baby killers from the Army, and a war criminal from the Air Force, who got out at the same time. We've all kept a really low profile hoping maybe nobody would find out.
Airedale
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple perspective from here,
Instapundit http://www.instapundit.com/

Kerry's old story

But now that witnesses have come forth saying that these are false, here's the new one:

"On Christmas Eve he was near Cambodia; he was around 50 miles from the Cambodian border. There's no indictment of Kerry to be made, but he was mistaken about Christmas in Cambodia," said Douglas Brinkley, who has unique access to the candidate's wartime journals. . . .

He said: "Kerry went into Cambodian waters three or four times in January and February 1969 on clandestine missions. He had a run dropping off US Navy Seals, Green Berets and CIA guys." The missions were not armed attacks on Cambodia, said Mr Brinkley, who did not include the clandestine missions in his wartime biography of Mr Kerry, Tour of Duty.

(Emphasis added.) Hmm. 50 miles isn't that "near" -- it's about halfway to the coast. That also seems to conflict with this 1992 Kerry statement:

Kerry, who served in Vietnam on a gunboat in the Mekong Delta from 1968 to 1969, said he was involved in a "black mission" near Cambodia. "On Christmas Eve of 1968, I was on a gunboat in a firefight that wasn't supposed to be taking place," Kerry recalled. "I thought, if I'm killed here, what will my family be told?"

"NEAR CAMBODIA" -- here's a graphic illustration of just how much of Vietnam is "near" Cambodia in the sense of being within 50 miles.

Rather a lot, really, as you can see.

Now that even the Kerry campaign has given up on the "Christmas in Cambodia" story, I don't suppose that there's a lot of factual research left to do.

[/b]
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how they're going to cover the Khmer Rouge aspect?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: