SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RB
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: New Guy Reply with quote

I just heard about this site yesterday (10Aug04) and jumped on it. I was in the Marine Corps Jul 67-Apr 71. Served overseas Jan 68-Feb 69. Kilo Company, 3rd Bn/4th Regiment, 3rd Division. That's a mouthful isn't it?
My time was all far North I Corps from Gio Linh in the North and East to Hill 689 (between Khe Sanh and Laso) and south to Quang Tri.
I'm a '100% er' disabled through the VA and on Social Security as well.
I would really like to hear from some of you guys who believe (as I still do) that we were right in going to Viet Nam.
I was raised conservative in Montana- and the older I get, the more conservative I become.
Thanks for letting me sound off- and THANK YOU for putting this site out there- and doing all possible to spread the truth about that jerk from MA.
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy Reply with quote

RB wrote:
I just heard about this site yesterday (10Aug04) and jumped on it. I was in the Marine Corps Jul 67-Apr 71. Served overseas Jan 68-Feb 69. Kilo Company, 3rd Bn/4th Regiment, 3rd Division. That's a mouthful isn't it?
My time was all far North I Corps from Gio Linh in the North and East to Hill 689 (between Khe Sanh and Laso) and south to Quang Tri.
I'm a '100% er' disabled through the VA and on Social Security as well.
I would really like to hear from some of you guys who believe (as I still do) that we were right in going to Viet Nam. (snip)

In 1970, on a sortie supporting the Green Berets at a compound about 5 miles south of the DMZ, I was shocked by what I saw. The compound was still smoldering from an attack the night before. What brought tears to my eyes was a tattered American flag, alongside a torn RVN flag, still waving in the breeze. Eight Green Berets and sixteen ARVN Rangers had withstood an attack by a regular NVA unit who drove tanks across the DMZ. (I forget the exact size of the unit.) A Green Beret told me the 16 ARVNs who stayed were worth more than the 200-plus who ran away. Looking around, I can't say I blame the ARVNs who took wing; the compound looked like it had been hit by a typhoon. I left the place that day with the utmost respect for the Green Berets and ARVN Rangers. I had always looked forward to flying there because it was the only place in Vietnam where I could get ice cream! There was an electrical freezer there just like those found in American homes.

Anyone who served near the DMZ has my deepest respect and appreciation for pulling a tour in Hell.
dafrog
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Small world Reply with quote

RB: I'm from San Jose and was stationed in Qunag Tri in 69 (59th E.O.D.) I understand the feeling we get from this site . Just thought thought I'd say small world and welcome... Mike Tompkins Port Charlotte Fla..
Spiess
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a vet from Vietnam but from the gulf, I just want to say thank you for your service, it means more to me than I can describe.
I was working an electrical job, new construction Building a Flight Control Tower at Luke Air Force Base about three years ago. There was this guy I work with, he was a Vietnam Vet, On the Morining of Veterans day he walked up to me and shock my hand, looked me straight in my eyes and said Thank You.
I couldnt believe how that made me feel it was the first and last time someone ever actually acknowledge my small efforts while I was in from 1990 to 1994.
I hope that my thank you means as much to you as it did me three years ago.
MikeWinn
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB, we flew some fire support missions around Khe Sahn in 71. A lot of I corps support stuff in conjunction with the guys from Phu Khat. Welcome aboard and welcome home, brother.

GunnerMike
Spectre Gunner and 141 FE
Dedicated to Rico. KIA March 14, 1971.
Love ya man.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: RB Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Boot! You're gonna love it here! Very Happy I was in-country with Lima 3/9. 60% disabled but, I'm learning more about disability claims every day. I now have the greatest job in the world: my job is to get jobs for disabled vets. That's all I do. Funded by the Feds, paid by the states. We are all over the USA. BTW, did you know that PH = automatic consideration for PTSD compensation? Tinnitus, ringing in the ears, is worth 10% for one or both, and the list goes on. I have had several vets meet with me who said "I don't want to apply. I just want to forget it all". I'm an oldtimer. If we don't take what we are due, not more, then the Gov. will decide that they can spend those $$$s on some other Gov. program, saying, "see, the vets don't need the funding". Just remember, we have the young vets serving now and we need to make sure that vet friendly (read Bush) Presidents remain in the White House.
Ordie_rat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks Brother! Reply with quote

This goes out to all my brother Vietnam vets. I served during the last of that era but never made it in country. I also served over in Desert Storm. My heartfelt thanks goes out to all you Vietnam Vets and a hearty "Well Done" along with that. I am proud to call you brothers!

"The mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately, by the grace of God." - Thomas Jefferson
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB:

I'm an Air Force vet and former medic. Great having you aboard (I'll use the Swiftee language out of respect). You'll find this group the best friends one can have in cyberspace.

Take care and thank you for your service.

Medics, we're there when you need us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: