SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Ad in Works, Donations Up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: New Ad in Works, Donations Up! Reply with quote

PHILADELPHIA - (KRT) - A group of Vietnam veterans that is challenging Sen. John Kerry's claims of heroic war service says it received a flood of donations in recent days after advertising its contentions on television in three states.

The group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, said it hoped to use the money to monitor Kerry's campaign travels and run ads in cities where he appears.

"That's our goal," said John E. O'Neill, a Houston attorney who's one of the group's leaders and co-author of "Unfit to Command," a 251-page book being distributed this week by the conservative Regnery Publishing house. The book quotes Navy veterans as saying Kerry distorted his record as a river boat commander in Vietnam's Mekong Delta in 1968 to 1969.

Democrats have said the group is nothing but a Republican hit squad determined to besmirch their candidate.

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth is registered with the Federal Election Commission as a so-called 527 organization, not affiliated with any party. It got off the ground with a $100,000 donation from Texas homebuilder Bob J. Perry, a prominent Republican donor.

Roy F. Hoffman, a retired admiral and chairman of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, said the first TV ad, which ran for one week in Ohio, Wisconsin and West Virginia at a cost of $550,000, got so much national news attention that it generated an additional $400,000 from 8,000 donors around the country.

"We are putting together the second ad," said Hoffman, 78, of Richmond, Va. As a Navy captain in 1968 and 1969, Hoffman commanded a unit of 1,650 sailors that included Kerry as a lieutenant.

Hoffman said the unit, known as Task Force 115, included about 16 swift boats and their crews, which patrolled the delta for Viet Cong and other enemy fighters.

"I knew Kerry pretty well," he said. "I did not ride his boat, but we operated very close together. ... I can't say I was a personal friend or buddy-buddy, but I sure knew him ... and I never felt he had the qualifications."

Kerry has made his war service the centerpiece of his campaign to become president. His supporters include men who served on his boat, including a former Green Beret who said Kerry rescued him from the water while under fire.

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth first gained public attention in May when its leaders - including men who served on boats near Kerry's - called a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington.

Hoffman denied that the group is connected to the Republican Party. He said he hasn't been politically involved since leaving the Navy in 1978. Yes, he said, the group had taken cash donations from Republicans. But that became necessary, he said, because the news conference received little attention on network television and in national newspapers.

The group concluded that it needed to buy its own TV ad, he said. And that required money.

He said of Perry: "We had our hand out, and he put money in it. ... As far as I'm concerned, he's a wealthy construction person. If he owns the money legally, I'm all for it."

The group reported $158,000 in donations as of June 30, its latest filing with the election commission.

Donors as of that date included O'Neill and Texas real estate developer Harlan Crow, also a Republican contributor. Each of them gave $25,000, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington nonprofit that tracks political donations.

The group has received strategic help from Merrie Spaeth, a GOP strategist in Dallas. Spaeth was involved in a 2000 ad campaign against Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, then running for president against George W. Bush.

Current advisers include Creative Response Concepts, a public relations firm in Arlington, Va., that Mike Russell, a spokesman, said has done work for the Republican Party and "conservative-oriented causes."

O'Neill's co-writer on the book is Jerome R. Corsi, an author of other books on the Vietnam-era anti-war movement and political violence.

Now 58, O'Neill was a Swift boat commander who took over Kerry's boat after Kerry returned home with three Purple Hearts in 1969. He didn't know Kerry until later. They met in the national debate over the merits of the war and a claim by war opponents, including Kerry, that American troops commonly committed atrocities.

After O'Neill confronted Kerry on a Washington TV station, he said, he got a call from the White House. He then met with President Richard Nixon and his counselor Charles Colson.

O'Neill said he had "read in the papers" that the White House later asked him to speak in Philadelphia at a meeting of the National Conference of Mayors. He said he made a speech but doesn't remember who asked him to attend.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donated, and this is the first time that I've ever donated to an organization with a political agenda.

--------------

Does anyone besided me marvel at this process? Because of the www and blogs and Fox, this message is getting out. People are getting involved, doing research, checking and double-checking facts. Not too long ago, this just couldn't have happened.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GottaBeKidding:
"I donated, and this is the first time that I've ever donated to an organization with a political agenda. "

This is the first time I've ever donated to a political cause too.
Actually it's not political for me. It's a point of honor.
History is written by the victors; this is a generally accepted truth.
If Kerry actually becomes president then he will re-write history and every veteran who opposed him will be branded a liar and a hundred years from now Swift Boat Veterans for Truth will be referred to in the history books as a minor group of disgruntal veterans who opposed President Kerry and none of us will be there to defend ourselves.
BenJaxBchFL
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo

Those are excellent points. We cannot be complacent on keeping the pressure on. I saw where there are some 8,000 different donors. That's good, wish it was more. Anybody that you know that is against Kerry being elected should be encouraged to send emails to media groups or letters to the paper. If they have a few bucks, great. The constant pounding in the media goes a long way in changing public opinion. Especially when you have truth on your side.
The war against terrorism is not that Americans might die rather that we would alter our way of living. If we get to a point where we choose not to go out because of fear, our economy will sink and in the end so will our nation. Vote Bush.
low26
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too will donate to this cause, I hope in the next ad that it can be hammered home about the Cambodia lie he has been caught in, His major backpedaling on this is very damaging
soccer4ever
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"$400,000 from 8,000 donors around the country."

That's great - let's push that over $1 million
soccer4ever
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the link

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/special_packages/election2004/9396133.htm
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: It is easy to Donate Reply with quote

For the price of a newspaper for a month.
I donated $25. not much but if everyone does this
it will work.
I'll add another $25 next month regardless.

Remember as Sally Struthers said:
"For the cost of drinking a little less beer we could save the World from a Kerry presidency".
BenJaxBchFL
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton,

That was my thinking also. As long as this has legs I want to keep donating. But the key is encouraging people you know to be informed and donate anything if possible. Even $10 and another name on the list of contributors is awesome.
The war against terrorism is not that Americans might die rather that we would alter our way of living. If we get to a point where we choose not to go out because of fear, our economy will sink and in the end so will our nation. Vote Bush.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: