SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Kerry really say "Send me"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBuzzcut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Did Kerry really say "Send me"? Reply with quote

Not quite, according to a 34 year-old article in the Harvard Crimson ... http://www.vandelay.com/2004/08/did-kerry-really-say-send-me-not-quite.html
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found the following quote from the 18 Feb 70 Harvard Crimson article at http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=352185 to be quite interesting:

"One time Kerry was ordered to destroy a Viet Cong village but disobeyed orders and suggested that the Navy Command simply send in a Psychological Warfare team to be friend the villagers with food, hospital supplies, and better educational facilities."

So he's been talking about being more "sensititive" in warfare for a long time....and he was disobedient....

Rolling Eyes
lolajl
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
"One time Kerry was ordered to destroy a Viet Cong village but disobeyed orders and suggested that the Navy Command simply send in a Psychological Warfare team to be friend the villagers with food, hospital supplies, and better educational facilities."

So he's been talking about being more "sensititive" in warfare for a long time....and he was disobedient....

If this really is true, shouldn't he have been court-martialed for disobeying orders?
MrBuzzcut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolajl wrote:
air_vet wrote:

If this really is true, shouldn't he have been court-martialed for disobeying orders?

He prob'ly made it up ... remember, he was in his dovish, running for Congress mode now, so it behooved him to appeal to the pre-conceived notions of the anti-War Left.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Must read historical interview from Feb '70 Reply with quote

MrBuzzcut wrote:
He prob'ly made it up ... remember, he was in his dovish, running for Congress mode now, so it behooved him to appeal to the pre-conceived notions of the anti-War Left.

Thanks very much for publishing a reference to that article, MrBuzzcut.

I think in that article candidate Kerry was letting his hair down for friendly media - it has a lot to say about his early years. I recommend that all on this forum read it. I'm also VERY surprised it remains on the Internet.

Rolling Eyes
MrBuzzcut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Must read historical interview from Feb '70 Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
MrBuzzcut wrote:

Thanks very much for publishing a reference to that article, MrBuzzcut.

I think in that article candidate Kerry was letting his hair down for friendly media - it has a lot to say about his early years. I reccomend all on this forum read it. I'm also VERY surprised it remains on the Internet.

Rolling Eyes

My pleasure ... I had read excerpts of it in other articles but was shocked myself to find it still available (always best to have the primary source of a story).
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you have read "Unfit for Command" on page 78:

"In his Dam Doi operating report from Feb 20, 1969, Kerry recommended "psy-ops" along the Dam Doi - a recommendation he lauds as a great achievement in his 1970 interview in the Harvard Crimson: "one time Kerry was ordered to destroy a Viet Cong village but disobeyed orders and suggested that the Navy Command simply send in Psychological Warfare team to befriend the villagers with food, hospital supplies and better educational facilities". Once again Kerry promotes himself as "antiwar warrior"

Surprisingly, the Navy adopted a psy-ops recommendation. If the idea were indeed Kerry's, then it world have been the only such recommenation he made and the only one to be adopted. At any rate, the program was an unmitigated diaster. Many swiftees, including John O'Neill, wondered who could have been so stupid as to recommend using our boats to travel slowly while playing psy-ops tapes over a loudspeaker, appealing in Vietnamese to the local population, in an area as hostile as the Dam Doi. Many Swiftees and Mobile Riverine Sailors died or were wound on these missions following the "Boston Stranglers" recommendations.

If you have not gotten the book...it is a MUST read!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Did Kerry really say... Reply with quote

Uh...what did he say the name of that village was?
MrBuzzcut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
Actually, if you have read "Unfit for Command" on page 78:

"In his Dam Doi operating report from Feb 20, 1969, Kerry recommended "psy-ops" along the Dam Doi - a recommendation he lauds as a great achievement in his 1970 interview in the Harvard Crimson: "one time Kerry was ordered to destroy a Viet Cong village but disobeyed orders and suggested that the Navy Command simply send in Psychological Warfare team to befriend the villagers with food, hospital supplies and better educational facilities". Once again Kerry promotes himself as "antiwar warrior"

Surprisingly, the Navy adopted a psy-ops recommendation. If the idea were indeed Kerry's, then it world have been the only such recommenation he made and the only one to be adopted. At any rate, the program was an unmitigated diaster. Many swiftees, including John O'Neill, wondered who could have been so stupid as to recommend using our boats to travel slowly while playing psy-ops tapes over a loudspeaker, appealing in Vietnamese to the local population, in an area as hostile as the Dam Doi. Many Swiftees and Mobile Riverine Sailors died or were wound on these missions following the "Boston Stranglers" recommendations.

Wow! Still waiting for my copy via amazon, tho i might cancel and get it at a bookstore ... just to see the look on the clerk's face!
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:

I live in western New York Sad and I've been bugging a couple of local Border's Book Stores about the absence of "Unfit for Command" - after all, they DO have ALL the anti-Bush books.

During my last visit, the clerk pretended to look over the shelves for the book. I told her "it's easy to spot the book - it's the one with candidate Kerry giving you the finger".
MrBuzzcut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
Theresa Alwood wrote:

I live in western New York Sad and I've been bugging a couple of local Border's Book Store's about the absence of "Unfit for Command" - after all, they DO have ALL the anti-Bush books.

During my last visit, the clerk pretended to look over the shelves for the book. I told her "it's easy to spot the book - it's the one with candidate Kerry giving you the finger".

Hee hee ... bet that's the same Border's I used to go to (before amazon) in Henrietta!
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBuzzcut wrote:
Hee hee ... bet that's the same Border's I used to go to (before amazon) in Henrietta!

Yup - also Eastview Mall

Wink
MrBuzzcut
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
MrBuzzcut wrote:

Yup - also Eastview Mall

Wink

I bought all my books from 1990 till Amazon on at the Hylan drive Borders ... they had the most obnoxious sales clerks imaginable ... i don't need any funny looks coz I'm buying Russell Kirk or F. Hayek ... just put the book in the bag and take my $$$!
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...

If you haven't yet read the Harvard Crimson article from 1970, you really should!
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped off last night to get me a copy from the area Waldens Bookstore. The clerk was very friendly and said that I had to get on the notification list since they had sold every copy they get in as soon as it gets in. She then said she was going to get a copy for herself to see what the hoopla was all about. The notification list was about 200 names long
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: