SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can I get some veterans take on this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: can I get some veterans take on this? Reply with quote

I am not sure what I think of it yet. (if this is posted in the wrong forum, feel free to move it)

Soldier Sues U.S. Military Over Extended Service

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A California Army National Guard sergeant filed a lawsuit on Tuesday asserting that the government can not prevent reservists from leaving the military when their enlistment periods end.

the rest of the article is here:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040817/ts_nm/security_usa_reservists_dc
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickb,

I am a veteran, and that Sergeant doesn't have a case. You need to read the fine print on the enlistment documents. You serve for a given period of time subject to the needs of the service. Stop loss is quite legit.

Of course I am not a lawyer, but I do remember this detail very clearly.

Truth is Beauty
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be moving this thread to Gedunk & Scuttlebutt shortly.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call.

I think we all feel unconfortable about stop-loss. There is an un-American smell about it.

It is legal, though.

The problem is in whether it is used occassionally for temporary needs, or whether it has become or will become a crutch that allows the DoD to fail to plan and staff the military appropriately. When you start keeping thousands of servicemembers years beyond their original ETS dates, either the populace is going to rise up and change the law, or the Federal courts are going to have to take a case like this. Are we there yet? I dunno.

Last edited by ArmyWife on Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArmyWife wrote:
Tough call.

I think we all feel unconfortable about stop-loss. There is an un-American smell about it.

It is legal, though.

The problem is in whether it is used occassionally for temporary needs, or whether has become or will become a crutch that allows the DoD to fail to plan and staff the military appropriately. When you start keeping thousands of servicemembers years beyond their original ETS dates, either the populace is going to rise up and change the law, or the Federal courts are going to have to take a case like this. Are we there yet? I dunno.

"will become a crutch that allows the DoD to fail to plan and staff the military appropriately." Since stop-loss has been in effect for some time now with no foreseeable end, unless you think our requirements in Iraq, Afghanistan and the War on Terror will suddenly cease, my opinion is it has become a crutch for DoD. "Are we there yet?" I don't think the courts can do anything about it, but this is one area that I think is a legitmate target for the opposition. Embarassed
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any hard statistics yet on just how many servicemembers are on stop-loss at any given time. I know the anecdotal stories are disturbing, and I have personally known people on stop-loss who were pretty angry. I have heard of soldiers being told that they just have to re-enlist because they are on stop loss, and it strikes me that ordering a soldier to sign re-enlistment papers might be an illegal order.

As for the current situation in Iraq, Afghanistan and the War on Terror, it does seem like we're over a barrel, especially with certain MOS' like military police. In the last few months the Army has announced a major reorganization which will go a long way toward fixing things. They are going to units-of-action, which are more deployable brigade-sized units rather than clinging to the WWII sized divisions. This will make for more predictable deployments, and troops will transfer in and out of their units, and ETS, within a set window in their deployment cycle. I don't know what the other services are doing.

I guess what I'm coming down to is that a serious plan is in place for the Army, so a viable argument can be made that current Army stop-losses are truly temporary and necessary, unless you can find some shockingly high number that overwhelms that argument.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard Tommy Franks say (that means I'm not positive what I heard is exactly what he said!) on one of interviews for the release of his new book, that he was concerned that the Army had not adequately study the question of what skills (MOS mix) was needed overall (i.e. how many MP's.) before the reorganization was announced. That as much as anything recently raised my concern level.
Orolonn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that a soldier/sailor cannot sue the government, at least not while serving? Hmmm...guess that is what I get for thinking!

I don't think he will win this case, but will be watching to find out.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll sue the government for stopgapping me to Vietnam for a year via the draft...
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orolonn, you are right that the biggest hurdle this case has is getting permission from the Federal Gov't to sue it. That's, in essence, what I always heard has to happen. Occassionally one gets through, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: