SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Silver Star and Bronze Star citations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Kerry Silver Star and Bronze Star citations Reply with quote

Take a look at at the following links:

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Silver_Star.pdf and http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/militaryrecords_1.pdf

Both the Silver Star and Bronze Star citations were signed by John Lehman, SECNAV from 81-87. Chaffee was SECNAV from 69-72. Why a Lehman signature and not a Chaffee signature?

Any ideas?

Doc Ford
HMC (SW)
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.

Kerry had them edited to make him more heroic. Evidently Lehman was amenable. Wink
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Star citation was written three times and the Bronze Star was written twice, the latest versions signed by SECNAV Lehman.

John Kerry gets braver in every edition. Rolling Eyes

There are other discussions of this matter in the Research and Resources forum - you might want to take a look at them if this topic interests you.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry asked Secretary Lehman to sign his awards again for him while serving as Senator. Kerry came up with the lame excuse that he had lost his citations. (fat chance). I remember this happening in the 80's. there was some media coverage of this - not much.

- instigator
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More...

I saw this in another post:

Quote:
"If Kerry didn't throw away his medals, why does he have two citations each for his Bronze and Silver Stars? Kerry's Bronze Star citations are signed first by Adm. Zumwalt, 13 March 1969, and then a second one was signed years later by John Lehman. The Silver Star citations are signed first by Adm. John Hyland..CinCPacFlt 28 February 1969 and then a second one signed years later by John Lehman.

John H. Chafee was SecNav during this time 31 Jan 1969 - 4 May 1972, so why is John Lehman, SecNav 5 Feb 1981 - 10 Apr 1987, reissuing these citations and medals if Kerry hadn't thrown his own away ? What excuse was given for the reissuing of these medals, and does a man who thinks so little of his combat awards deserve to have them replaced at all?

- instigator
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His new ones leave out him shooting the teenager that had the rocket launcher.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmudd wrote:
His new ones leave out him shooting the teenager that had the rocket launcher.

That's because he (the VC) became a numerically superior force. Wink
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
republicanveteran
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox news talked about how strange this was (the signings by Sec Lehman), Col Bill Cowan stated that somewhere the squadron action reports are stored (Including after action). I'm Air Force, so I don't know, do any of you swabbies know where these squadron records are kept??
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recommendation, found here...

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/bronze_star_recommendation.pdf

Has Lambert along with Turlow as others that are to receive metals along with Kerry for the same incident. Thing is, Rasmussen insists that HE recommended Kerry for the medal, BUT that he had actually recommended him for a higher medal, but there is NOTHING on that recommendation to back that claim up at all.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

republicanveteran wrote:
Fox news talked about how strange this was (the signings by Sec Lehman), Col Bill Cowan stated that somewhere the squadron action reports are stored (Including after action). I'm Air Force, so I don't know, do any of you swabbies know where these squadron records are kept??

Navy Archives in Suitland Maryland.

I've had occassion to work there once or twice when I worked for the POW/MIA office looking for Vietnam POW/MIAs.

- instigator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: