SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bullets Flying
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiptie
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Bullets Flying Reply with quote

This may have been covered in another thread. It is just possible that Jim Rassmann is just confused about the direction of the gunfire?

Thurlow said:

Quote:
To this day, I can say without a doubt in my mind, along with other accounts from my shipmates -- there was no hostile enemy fire directed at my boat or at any of the five boats operating on the river that day.

I am sure that in the noise and confusion right after the mine exposion and all the gunfire coming from our boats could have been mistaken by Rassmann as hostile?

Sure, after a few minutes, all the boats realized that there was no return fire and all boats stopped firing INTO the shore.

But, for a few minutes, all hell was breaking lose, Rassmann is in the water, 50 calibers are opening up (ours), and he probably had no idea which direction there were coming from?

If we can believe Rassmann, then maybe, just maybe the gunfire he heard was simply ours?

USCG
61-69
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was all this "hostile" gunfire Kerry claims, why was no one shot?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I see otherwise about Rassman, I'm giving him the benefit of doubt. By his words, he dove to the bottom and couldn't see what was happening. However, his claim of a second mine going off throwing him off Kerry's boat seems suspect, since everyone else said there was only one mine.

Let's keep in mind, though, we aren't here to attack Rassman. He did serve honorably and was not a crewmember of Kerry's. Let's keep our main focus on Kerry.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew,

Rassman should not be attacked for what he did then but he damn well should be be attacked for the changing and shifting stories in the last 6 months.

Tom
Curt
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only hard thing about that Lew, is that Rassman has made himself a target. I truly understand what you are saying, but the likely hood of him not taking any hits in this is unrealistic. I think Rassman is a good person, but I dont understand how he can stand beside Kerry. Unless there is some future promises or that he is already on the payroll. I am not trying to be disrespectful by this, just honest.

Curt
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible, however, according to several of his accounts, he was underwater to avoid getting run over, and he was in the water for the longest period of time, being the last one picked up after the -3 boat was disabled.

And the boats were ALL there for about an hour and a half, rigging the -3 boat for towing and such. It's possible Rassman was confused, or scared, or shocky from the blast.

It's not about Rassman, it never has been. He's just one of the guys who happened to be there when the mine went off and he ended up in the water and pulled out by Kerry.

Rassman did put Kerry in for the Silver Star, but the recommendation was downgraded. There's a lot of controversy about just what happened when, and who was where. Which is why the eyewitness testimony of SO MANY others that were there at the time is so important. NO ONE else can recall any incoming fire, and none of the damage reports record any bullet holes for that action.

If you go prowl the Research & Resources section, you can read much more about what happened.

Welcome aboad, tiptie (any relation to the eBay "supersniper" by the same name?)
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
llano
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same Rassman who said he was the only one in the water. Totally not true.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left would love to see us attacking Rassman, who may have performed real heroics there. DU is constantly looking here for ammunition for Kerry to use as well as for themselves.

Rassman is in the public eye and his story can be questioned, however, going after him instead of Kerry just works against the Swiftvets.

We don't like the way the left went after Thurlow, understandably. Tit for tat isn't going to expose Kerry, unless we stumble across something definte.

Rassman isn't off limits, but we don't need to deflect attention to him and away from Kerry.
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He still knows how kerry got wounded that day with the grenade in the rice. So on some level he is not telling the truth. However, I could cut him some slack on not knowing where the gunfire was coming from. Kerry probably told him it was the enemy and he bought it.
Curt
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with that Lew and I can respect it.

Curt
tiptie
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher................Same person.

OT........Supersniper is me........

USCG
61-69
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher wrote:
It's possible, however, according to several of his accounts, he was underwater to avoid getting run over, and he was in the water for the longest period of time, being the last one picked up after the -3 boat was disabled.

And the boats were ALL there for about an hour and a half, rigging the -3 boat for towing and such. It's possible Rassman was confused, or scared, or shocky from the blast.

It's no about Rassman, it never has been. He's just one of the guys who happened to be there when the mine went off and he ended up in the water and pulled out by Kerry.

Rassman did put Kerry in for the Silver Star, but the recommendation was downgraded. There's a lot of controversy about just what happened when, and who was where. Which is why the eyewitness testimony of SO MANY others that were there at the time is so important. NO ONE else can recall any incoming fire, and none of the damage reports record any bullet holes for that action.

If you go prowl the Research & Resources section, you can read much more about what happened.

Welcome aboad, tiptie (any relation to the eBay "supersniper" by the same name?)

There's no documentary evidence other than Rassman's word on this. The recommendation was signed by George Elliott and witnessed by Del Sandusky. No records support Rassman's allegation. He was not even a member to Kerry's unit. How'd he do? By Radio from his Ville to An Thoi?
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rassman had exactly how much time on Swiftboats? Being Army SF, I doubt it was much. Kerry pulls him out of the water, tells him he went over from a "mine blast" instead of "when I went full-throttle", he might honestly still buy that.
First time he came up for air, there's a hailstorm of fire from the boats, brush and dirt flying on both banks, he's eye-level with the water, dives back down for cover. He's not a credible witness to most of what happened due to his position, but he may actually believe a lot of what he's saying.
He should admit he couldn't see much publically before he ends up getting roasted along with Kerry. That would take a lot of guts at this point. Just my thoughts.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no documentary evidence other than Rassman's word on this. The recommendation was signed by George Elliott and witnessed by Del Sandusky. No records support Rassman's allegation. He was not even a member to Kerry's unit. How'd he do? By Radio from his Ville to An Thoi?

You're absolutely right. The only documentation is Rassman's account about putting Kerry in for the SSM. I remember the discussion you had about it here: http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1688
and that there is some controversy (if only from Rassman himself) about it. Didn't mean to step on your toes.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Bostonian
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Rassman Reply with quote

I think Rassman is entirely sincere, and there's no reason to go after the guy.

It makes sense that he would mistake the suppression fire for hostile fire. And that's the story he's believed for a long time. He wasn't around afterwards to compare notes with the other sailors. And Kerry did pull him out of the water, for which he was glad & grateful.

Someone else would have pulled him out, but he's grateful to the guy who did.

And again, after hearing the suppression fire, he thought he was in a lot more danger than he probably actually was, and I'm sure it left a deep impression on him.

But if he has any doubts about it now, he's got nowhere to go. Leave the guy out of it, that's what I say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: