SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Denny Hastert says McCain doesn't know what sacrifice is.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Denny Hastert says McCain doesn't know what sacrifice is. Reply with quote

Quote:
As other House GOP members stood behind him laughing, Hastert, R-Illinois, then expressed doubt that McCain was indeed a Republican.

The exchange started when a reporter asked: "Can I combine a two issues, Iraq and taxes? I heard a speech from John McCain the other day..."

Hastert: "Who?"

Reporter: "John McCain."

Hastert: "Where's he from?"

Reporter: "He's a Republican from Arizona."

Hastert: "A Republican?"

Amid nervous laughter, the reporter continued with his question: "Anyway, his observation was never before when we've been at war have we been worrying about cutting taxes and his question was, 'Where's the sacrifice?' "

Hastert: "If you want to see the sacrifice, John McCain ought to visit our young men and women at Walter Reed and Bethesda. There's the sacrifice in this country. We're trying to make sure they have the ability to fight this war, that they have the wherewithal to be able to do it. And, at the same time, we have to react to keep this country strong."

That's the lovable Hastert, who avoided the draft so he could teach drivers ed. He know's what sacrifice is and John McCain should be ashamed of himself. I mean what's he ever done in sacrifice to this country?

Maybe this.

Quote:
That is your final answer?" one of his interrogators, nicknamed the "Cat," asked McCain on July 3, 1968 -- not coincidentally the very day McCain's father, John Sidney "Jack" McCain Jr., was named commander of U.S. naval forces in the Pacific.

"That is my final answer," McCain said.

"They taught you too well," said an irate Cat. "They taught you too well."

Added another interrogator, the "Rabbit": "Now, McCain, it will be very bad for you."

And it was. One of his captors, the one they called "Slopehead," told McCain, "You're a black criminal. You must confess your crimes."

McCain demurred. "$%&! you," he said.

"Why do you treat your guards so disrespectfully?" Slopehead asked. "Because they treat me like an animal," McCain replied.

"When I said that," McCain wrote in U.S. News, "the guards, who were all in the room -- about 10 of them -- really laid into me. They bounced me from pillar to post, kicking and laughing and scratching. After a few hours of that, ropes were put on me and I sat that night bound with ropes ... For the next four days, I was beaten every two or three hours by different guards. My left arm was broken again and my ribs were cracked."

On the third night, as McCain would later write in "Faith of My Fathers," he was beaten so badly he almost committed suicide before "confessing" his war crimes:

I lay in my own blood and waste, so tired and hurt that I could not move. The ***** [another captor] came in with two other guards, lifted me to my feet, and gave me the worst beating I had yet experienced ... Despairing of any relief from pain and further torture, and fearing the close reproach of my moment of dishonor, I tried to take my life. I doubt I really intended to kill myself. But I couldn't fight anymore, and I remember deciding that the last thing I could do to make them believe I was still resisting, that I wouldn't break, was to attempt suicide.

McCain took off his shirt. He turned over the waste bucket and stepped on it. He looped his shirt through a shutter. But before he could act, the ***** ran in and beat him up.

One day later, McCain signed a confession admitting to war crimes. He would remain a POW for almost five more years, until March 15, 1973. His injuries are still with him; he cannot raise his arms above his shoulders; he still has a slight limp.

Nothing like respect, huh? I wonder who else has slimed McCain?
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder who else has slimed McCain?

I'm sure it's not anyone affiliated with this group, right?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Denny Hastert says McCain doesn't know what sacrifice is Reply with quote

mikest wrote:

Amid nervous laughter, the reporter continued with his question: "Anyway, his observation was never before when we've been at war have we been worrying about cutting taxes and his question was, 'Where's the sacrifice?' "

Hastert: "If you want to see the sacrifice, John McCain ought to visit our young men and women at Walter Reed and Bethesda. There's the sacrifice in this country. We're trying to make sure they have the ability to fight this war, that they have the wherewithal to be able to do it. And, at the same time, we have to react to keep this country strong."

Despite your disingenous subject line, the conversation was obviously about THIS conflict and does NOT imply that "Hastert says McCain doesn't know what sacrifice is."
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hastert is telling him to go to the hospital to see what sacrifice is. McCain need only look at himself in the mirror to see that.
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain takes the high road.

Quote:
"The speaker is correct in that nothing we are called upon to do comes close to matching the heroism of our troops," he said. "All we're called upon to do is not spend our nation into bankruptcy while our soldiers risk their lives. I fondly remember a time when real Republicans stood for fiscal responsibility."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: