SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting tidbit about Kerry's service from Snopes.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serveert
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Interesting tidbit about Kerry's service from Snopes.com Reply with quote

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp

Another member of the crew confirmed Kerry's account for the Boston Globe and expressed no doubt that Kerry's action had saved both the boat and its crew:

The crewman with the best view of the action was Frederic Short, the man in the tub operating the twin guns. Short had not talked to Kerry for 34 years, until after he was recently contacted by a Globe reporter. Kerry said he had "totally forgotten" Short was on board that day.

Short had joined Kerry's crew just two weeks earlier, as a last-minute replacement, and he was as green as the Arkansas grass of his home. He said he didn't realize that he should have carried an M-16 rifle, figuring the tub's machine guns would be enough. But as Kerry stood face to face with the guerrilla carrying the rocket, Short realized his predicament. With the boat beached and the bow tilted up, a guard rail prevented him from taking aim at the enemy. For a terrifying moment, the guerrilla looked straight at Short with the rocket.

Short believes the guerrilla didn't fire because he was too close and needed to be a suitable distance to hit the boat squarely and avoid ricochet debris. Short tried to protect his skipper.

"I laid in fire with the twin .50s, and he got behind a hootch," recalled Short. "I laid 50 rounds in there, and Mr. Kerry went in. Rounds were coming everywhere. We were getting fire from both sides of the river. It was a canal. We were receiving fire from the opposite bank, also, and there was no way I could bring my guns to bear on that."

Short said there is "no doubt" that Kerry saved the boat and crew. "That was a him-or-us thing, that was a loaded weapon with a shape charge on it . . . It could pierce a tank. I wouldn't have been here talking to you. I probably prayed more up that creek than a Southern Baptist church does in a month."

Charles Gibson, who served on Kerry's boat that day because he was on a one-week indoctrination course, said Kerry's action was dangerous but necessary. "Every day you wake up and say, 'How the hell did we get out of that alive?'" Gibson said. "Kerry was a good leader. He knew what he was doing."
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now read the 10 other versions of the same story told by "the people that were there". If you don't come away completely confused, there's something wrong with you. Then read Unfit For Command and gain clarity.
serveert
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
Now read the 10 other versions of the same story told by "the people that were there". If you don't come away completely confused, there's something wrong with you. Then read Unfit For Command and gain clarity.

We should contact Snopes since they pride themselves on accuracy and debunking myths.
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snopes leans to the left on Political Issues

BTW, the snopes page has not be updated since February 19 2004, so this is pre-swiftvets. The false should be changed to Uncertain at least
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rounds were coming everywhere. We were getting fire from both sides of the river. It was a canal. We were receiving fire from the opposite bank, also, and there was no way I could bring my guns to bear on that."

And, we are to believe all this lead was flying around towards a stationary boat, and Kerry got off and walked behind a hooch where he shot a fleeing and wounded VC and, no one else got hit, even though beached and unable to return fire?

Uh, maybe I should talk to them about the beachfront property I have for sale in Oklahoma? Laughing Rolling Eyes

Last edited by LewWaters on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
serveert
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the people at Snopes and linked to this thread.
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't beaching a PCF on a river bank raise the firing arc of the twin fifties so far that they would be useless? I'm not military but based on the photos of Swiftboats I've seen, thats what I think would happen, or maybe not
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're being fired upon by both sides of the river, is beaching your boat really the smartest thing to?

And then chasing a lone guy on foot? While being fired upon by both sides of the river?

I missed the part in boot camp when they advised to stand completely still and out in the open when being fired upon by all sides.

Me thinks I smell something.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Uh, maybe I should talk to them about the beachfront property I have for sale in Oklahoma

NOOOOOOO please please don't bring them here. Shocked

Twisted Evil
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just for the record, Snopes references, All three of them.

Brinkley, Douglas.   Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War.
Klein, Joe.   "The Long War of John Kerry." The New Yorker.   2 December 2002.
Kranish, Michael.   "John F. Kerry: Candidate in the Making — Part 2: Heroism, and Growing Concern About War."

Enough said about that bibliography.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snopes
If by any chance you are reading this, your site has not been updated since you have been emailed many times about problems with your content on your Kerry Vietnam Questions pages

I would suggest you start by reading Unfit for Command, and then start again... No offense but your prior analysis SUCKED

FWIW I generally enjoy your site
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvaughan wrote:
And just for the record, Snopes references, All three of them.

Brinkley, Douglas.   Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War.
Klein, Joe.   "The Long War of John Kerry." The New Yorker.   2 December 2002.
Kranish, Michael.   "John F. Kerry: Candidate in the Making — Part 2: Heroism, and Growing Concern About War."

Enough said about that bibliography.

LOLOLOL!!! Ohmigosh! Shocked

What a shame - snopes used to be THE authority. Everything very well researched and solid. Guess that's not the case any more.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who "snopes" snopes? Factcheck.org? Rolling Eyes
Steve02C5
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
Rounds were coming everywhere. We were getting fire from both sides of the river. It was a canal. We were receiving fire from the opposite bank, also, and there was no way I could bring my guns to bear on that."

And, we are to believe all this lead was flying around towards a stationary boat, and Kerry got off and walked behind a hooch where he shot a fleeing and wounded VC and, no one else got hit, even though beached and unable to return fire?

Uh, maybe I should talk to them about the beachfront property I have for sale in Oklahoma? Laughing Rolling Eyes

Lew, I've been trying to make this same point on other forums to which I belong. It appears, to me at least, Kerry had reached the highest level of self-confidence; he was invisible!

Isn't this the same "action" where Kerry shot a fleeing VC in the back? If so, he (the VC) must've been laying down some hellacious suppression fire to hear Kerry and his cohorts tell it. Rolling Eyes
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serveert wrote:

We should contact Snopes since they pride themselves on accuracy and debunking myths.

Snopes HAS been contacted. By many people, many times.

You'll notice that it was last updated in February of this year.

I'm kind of disappointed in Snopes. I used to think they had pretty high standards of journalistic integrity, but to not even change the rating to "disputed" while this sorts out...

Well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: