SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not an eBook version?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sisku Hanne
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Why not an eBook version? Reply with quote

Seems the demand is far outstripping the supply.
It's so vitally important to get this information to as much of the public as possible before the election. Why not circumvent the gauntlet of bias from the MSM and the booksellers and offer an electronic version of the book?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are an awful lot of opportunities for fraud with eBooks.

I'd not recommend it, personally - not until the major sales fall off, anyway - that's how they usually time an eBook. Smile
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are an awful lot of opportunities for fraud with eBooks.

Mad props and much love, EJ for everything you are doing here, but I must respectfully suggest that the above statement is from a technologists point of view, something I must strongly disagree with.

Adobe and Microsoft both have ebook solutions that are -- if anything -- too good in terms of the way they protect the authors and publishers.

It is faster, easier and cheaper to shoplift a book than it is to pirate an ebook.

I'm happy to send you a locked MS Reader file and let you play with it to demonstrate.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it had become that well-protected. Thank you for clueing me in. Wink
Sisku Hanne
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for weighing in.
I work with Adobe Acrobat making pdf files all the time and they can be secured rather well. Electronic Publishing is beyond my scope of experience but I had explored the Adobe Publishing software enough to know it was considered robust.

Though I guess it might be dependent on the Regenery contract, if they don't have an ePublishing division.
I hope it's given a consideration. Some people are always going to prefer a hard copy, but I'm envisioning complimentary eBooks sent to key media people or Veterans group leaders and thinking hmmm.....
Anyway, even though I've ordered a book and put myself on waitlist at 3 different book stores for additional copies, I'd also buy an eBook. Because the upfront cost is so low compared to offset printing, an even greater postion of the profits could go to the charities.
Caleb Flerk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an author and webmaster I've created a number of ebooks myself. The way I deal with the security issue is relatively simple.

I use the ebook as just a "gateway" to access content, which is NOT in the ebook, but remains on the server hosting one of my sites. The user gets an ebook with a very small "footprint," typically under 500kb, but can access an unlimited amount of content. With content held on the server, it can be added to, updated or changed as needed and the user always has access to the latest information.

If security is required, it's much easier to set up on a server and control locally than to go through the cost and hassle of creating a securing each and every ebook.

Okay, you do have to be online to access the ebook's content, but this type of book design does make it easy to give users information that never goes out of date!

In addition, this design format makes it possible to pass "breaking news" to users through the ebook. You don't have to worry about how many copies are out there and who has which version. All you do is update the content on the server and every user who owns the "gateway" has immediate access to the latest material.

I do hope the Swifties give it serious consideration.

I'll volunteer to help produce it. Exclamation
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Why not an eBook version? Reply with quote

Great idea this will quickly help in resolving the shortage problem and increase readership. Will also make it more affordable for the vets and general public that have limited money... I have found most libraries here in NJ do not have the book and it has been back ordered, and many are not ordering (liberal bias).

I hope that we will hear from John O'Neill or his publisher SOON on this matter....

We also need a paperback version too.... for the economy factor --- there are still many who have limited $$$$ and the library system can not meet the mission...

I also like the idea of talking book media too...

JK
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the founders decide to come out with an e-Book or audio version, I'm sure that we'll be the first to hear about it. Wink

In the meantime, let them concentrate on their priorities... they're doing pretty darn well for a bunch of non-politicians! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: