SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain In Kerry Ad Refers to "Fringe Veterans Group&quo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwanLady
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: McCain In Kerry Ad Refers to "Fringe Veterans Group&quo Reply with quote

I saw the new Kerry ad. He clips from the Feb 15, 2000 debate between Bush and McCain where McCain talks about how hurt he was by someone from a "fringe veterans group" who claim McCain abandoned them. McCain talked about how Bush was standing "next to" this person and how much the man's statement "hurt" him personally.
It was on Larry King Live. Here is the transcript:

Quote:
On Government Reform: When do supporters opinions count as candidates’ opinions?

BUSH [to McCain]: John and I shook hands and we said we weren’t going to run [negative] ads. Unfortunately he ran an ad that equated me to Clinton. He questioned my trustworthiness.

McCAIN: There was an ad run against me, we ran a counter-ad. But what really went over the line [is that] Bush had a event and he paid for it and stood next to a spokesman for a fringe veterans group. That fringe veteran said that McCain had abandoned the veterans. You should be ashamed.

BUSH: John, I believe that you served our country nobly. And I’ve said it over and over again, that man wasn’t speaking for me. If you hold me responsible [for that, then your supporter, former Senator] Warren Rudman, said about the Christian Coalition that they’re bigots. I know you don’t believe that, do you?

McCAIN: He’s entitled to his opinion.

BUSH Well, so is this man.

McCAIN: When you were asked if you would repudiate him, you said no.

KEYES: Is this kind of pointless squabbling what we really want [viewers] to see

Kerry CONVENIENTLY clips out Bush's response.
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: The Fringe have become The Mainstream. Reply with quote

Senator McCain, in all respect, is out of touch by calling SBVs the fringe. Most veterans are lining up with Bush in this election. John Kerry was neck-and-neck with George Bush as far veterans were concerned but they're abandoning him as their memories are refreshed.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if McCain will call this ad "dishonorable and disgraceful," too?

I'm sure not holding my breath. Confused
greentracer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Senator McCain will do the "honorable and graceful" thing and stand by his "band of senators" And if we are really graced by his ability to stand for democracy, maybe he won't sponser another bill to limit some of our 1st amendment rights. However, the events taking place because of a group of citizens that have banded together to speak out about a politician, must surely worry those who want to silence a source of the truth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: