SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new Jim Russell version of the Rassmann rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
Would PsyOps be a swiftee? My guess is not.

Good point. I can't claim to know anything about the Navy, or PsyOps in the Vietnam era, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that PsyOps is part of the Special Ops world. One would think that a Special Ops person would know the difference between Rangers and Special Forces better than others might. The Swiftees seem to all know that they carried parts of SF teams up and down the river, and I haven't noticed any of them referring to Rassmann as a Ranger.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorrell wrote:
I can't find him on www.swiftboats.net

Also, why would a PsyOps officer be on that mission? Weren't they ferrying an Assualt group?

My understanding is that Rassmann was an advisor to the Nung, so "assault group" doesn't seem quite right here.
7rrfs
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats the official record? DID Kerry lead missions? Is there a record of him leading other boats on patrol?
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That account is so wrong on so many levels, it's almost ludicrous.

The displacement of a PCF is 17.5 tons, stripped. 22.5 tons loaded. A blast of sufficent magnitude to lift one six FEET in the air would have crumpled it like a beercan.

And the language is ALL wrong. The guy doesn't even sound military. Wrong terms, misspelled words (a PsyOps guy would NEVER say "Psychological Operation Officer" There ain't no such thing.

And lastly, the grammar is atrocious. It's more like something a high school kid of today would write, and not a college graduate whose expertise was Psychological Operations. Those guys *know* the English language good enough to construct cohesive and coherent sentences, and not what I read in that little piece.

Notice also, no bona fides. No unit number, no rank, no indication of branch of service.

Newp, it reeks.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Three things that are forever pictured in my mind since that day over 30 years ago are: (1) The No. 3, 50-foot long, Swift boat getting huge, huge air; John Kerry thought it was about two feet. (He was farther away from it than I). I think it was at least four feet and probably closer to six feet; (2) All the boats turning left and letting loose at the same time like a deadly, choreographed dance and; (3) A few minutes later, John Kerry bending over his boat picking up one of the rangers that we were ferrying from out of the water. All the time we were taking small arms fire from the beach; although because of our fusillade into the jungle, I don't think it was very accurate, thank God. Anyone who doesn't think that we were being fired upon must have been on a different river.

Just a little fisk, so I stay in practice.

"forever pictured in my mind" With prose as purple as this kid uses, I'd've been tempted to say it was "seared... seared in my memory." Much more compelling, don't you think?

"Over 30 years ago." Geeze. It was 35 years, okay? Let's do strive for some precision, here.

"The No. 3, 50-foot long, Swift boat..." Uh, I can see PCF-3, or -3 boat No. 3 strikes me as just wrong. I've probably been hanging out with the Navy too long. Again.

"Getting huge, huge air...." This is a modern colloquialism. I suppose I could let this slide.

"Farther from it than I" Um, "... than me." Grammar fault, not something I'd expect from a college grad who had to major in language to even be considered for PsyOps.

"All the boats turning left and letting loose at the same time like a deadly, choreographed dance" This guy should be writing bodice rippers. It doesn't get much more purple than this.

"All the time we were taking small arms fire from the beach; although because of our fusillade into the jungle, I don't think it was very accurate, thank God." Okay, I was wrong. It can get more purple.

"Anyone who doesn't think that we were being fired upon must have been on a different river" I've heard these EXACT words somewhere before. I can't quite remember where, though. It could be than I'm getting old. Or it's late.

We'll see how this plays out, but I'd give long odds it's a hoax. Probably well-intended, but not really creditable in any sense that I can see. I could be all wrong. ANY one of tne of the Swift sailors would be infinitely more qualified to fisk the details than I am.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps nothing is as surprising as the education that one after another ignorant individual appears before the camera in both the defense and attack of the SBVT.

More than one of us could offer a far better representation of the SBVT wiht regard to command of the facts.
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Jim Russell was a comedian who used politics as his beat. . . this must be Jim Jr. following in his fathers footsteps.
MassInd
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: msm bias Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Jesus H. Christ...don't the MSM outlets bother to do any research before picking up a story?

No. Evil or Very Mad
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cipher,

The guy is at the least non-Navy. He couldn't get the terminology correct. If he indeed spent a year with the Swift Boats as he claims, the language would have certainly been saltier as you pointed out.

Either the guy is real and the reporter was incompetent or the guy wasn't Navy - another fake???

- instigator
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: rass-us-all Reply with quote

What was his MOS where did he billit, "sleep" , did he have an

a chain of comand, did they OK him being there that day,

where did he go after they got, "To the gulf of Sam"

Did Kerry carry him on other trips, did he always ride

Kerrys boat , why, where are the Vietnamess who were

on the boat.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rass-us-all Reply with quote

one more captins mast wrote:
What was his MOS where did he billit, "sleep" , did he have an

a chain of comand, did they OK him being there that day,

where did he go after they got, "To the gulf of Sam"

Did Kerry carry him on other trips, did he always ride

Kerrys boat , why, where are the Vietnamess who were

on the boat.

Good questions. He should be baited... for instance if asked "what was his MOS? and he gives an Army MOS or Marine, he's a fake. He said he was a Psychological Operations Officer - there is no MOS for Navy officers, only Officer designations. I agree with Cipher the guy doesn't even sound military.

- instigator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: