SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where have you guys been all these years?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Where have you guys been all these years? Reply with quote

I am highly suspicious of the website for a number of reasons:

1. Why was the domain just created on April 14, 2004? If you are for the "truth", why have you only come out since Kerry has become a candidate?

2. Why is the site lead by veteran corporate media consultant and Texas Republican activist Merrie Spaeth, who is listed as the group's media contact; eternal Kerry antagonist and Dallas attorney John E. O'Neill, law partner of Spaeth's late husband, Tex Lezar; and retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffman, a cigar-chomping former Vietnam commander once described as "the classic body-count guy" who "wanted hooches destroyed and people killed."?

3. It would seem to me that not many people know of the history and valuable contributions of the Swift Boats and the brave veterans that served on them. Other than the Hollywood version through Apocalypse Now, many people have not even seen one. Yet many people on this board are angry at Kerry, who is giving these brave veterans some overdue media attention.

4. Many people on this board would rather support a "fortunate son" who can't account for all his time while in the Boy Scouts errr Air National Guard, over the first Vietnam veteran to win a major party nomination.

5. Lastly, there are a lot of internet heroes hiding anonymously behind screen names. While sitting at home at your computer watching Halliburton stock reports, it is easy to throw stones.

If you are truly a Vietnam vet, like my Dad, then I have all the respect in the world for you.

If you are using this board to promote the right wing religiously fanatical ideals of the Republican Party, then have your fun while it lasts. Bush's days are numbered.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unabashed comprehensive retraction

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast, I can only answer for myself. For me, it's been pretty much a life of low profile. Vietnam vets have been categorized as deranged, walking time bombs, drug addicts, not true veterans, you name it. You can thank people such as John Kerry and a proliferation of movies such as Apocalypse Now showing just how bad we all are.

Many of us have wanted to speak out for all this time, but who really wanted to listen? Very few actually wish to hear the truth about us or what went on over there, Hollywood especially.

My impression of this group is that the time has come for them to speak up and try to keep a charlatan from getting any higher in public office. Instead of being critical, try listening to the majority of Vietnam Veterans who wish only to set the record straight and stop the many myths about us that have been circulating for so long.

Personally, I am very glad to lend my voice to these guys in exposing the myths and try to get the truth out.
toast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how you avoid my questions with more questions.

Not that it is any of your damn business, but my Dad was drafted, not some West Point "educated" soldier.

He served in country 1966-68.

I was born after he came back.

My Dad is a self-made man and not some "fortunate son" who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and given everything due to his last name. He did what he was asked to do, and didn't claim to "have better things to do".

He sacrificed for me, and I do the same for my sons. I also know that he wants my sons to grow up with the same rights and freedoms that I enjoyed. But 4 more years of the religious right in office, and that will not be the case.

When will you address my original questions?
toast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lew, thanks for the post.

I am just amazed that any true veterans would choose someone who could barely spell "Vietnam" over someone who actually served.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd position to take, Toast, after those complaining about the President's National Guard service supporting an admitted draft dodger for 8 years. But, your privilege.

As for spelling errors, we all make them and constantly pointing out others reduces the one pointing them out to nit picking and lessens any message they may have. But, since our education system seems to be more concerned about how we "feel" than how we properly spell (another subject for another time), it's somewhat expected.

You do bring up an interesting thought, though. Just what is it, in Kerry's just under 4 months service as a junior grade officer commanding maybe 4 to 5 men, that qualifies him to be President?

Does his conduct after that just under 4 months of Vietnam service play any role in his qualifications for President?

Does all the votes he missed during his 19 years in Congress play any role at all?

If we are really going to hinge this election on Vietnam service or not, shouldn't Vietnam Veterans voices be at the forefront of those being heard?

Not really trying to divert attention from your questions, just some additional food for thought.
toast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lew,

With regards to a draft dodger, I didn't mention Cheney at all.

Secondly, the questions still stand unanswered.

And this year I will once again vote WITH the majority and AGAINST Bush. We'll see what job Daddy lines up for him next. Maybe President of the NRA?
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast, I am confused. You accuse others of " hiding anonymously behind screen names " but is your real name toast? Also, your dad would be proud and happy for you to provide his name, rank and serial number and where he served. Just ask him.
Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4. Many people on this board would rather support a "fortunate son" who can't account for all his time while in the Boy Scouts errr Air National Guard, over the first Vietnam veteran to win a major party nomination.

What's Kerry -- born as a poor black man to a Mississippi sharecropper?

He's a gigolo that has never broke a sweat in his life -- except for his girlie throw of someone else's medals.

George Bush is an honest man with principle.

Many of you on the left might need to look the words honesty and principle up in the dictionary after being surrounded so long by such honest and principled people like the Klintons, Sheila Jackass Lee, Barney Fag, Frenchie Kerry, Dunkem Kennedy, Je$$ee Jacka$$, Maxine Waters, Dasshole, -- and who was that guy that invented the Internet and was the inspiration for Love Story and the Star Wars movies?
Top 10 Weasels.com is where Kerry is Weasel #1

Last edited by Big Kahuna on Sun May 23, 2004 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where have you guys been all these years? Reply with quote

toast wrote:

I am highly suspicious of the website for a number of reasons:

1. Why was the domain just created on April 14, 2004? If you are for the "truth", why have you only come out since Kerry has become a candidate?

2. Why is the site lead by veteran corporate media consultant and Texas Republican activist Merrie Spaeth, who is listed as the group's media contact; eternal Kerry antagonist and Dallas attorney John E. O'Neill, law partner of Spaeth's late husband, Tex Lezar; and retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffman, a cigar-chomping former Vietnam commander once described as "the classic body-count guy" who "wanted hooches destroyed and people killed."?

3. It would seem to me that not many people know of the history and valuable contributions of the Swift Boats and the brave veterans that served on them. Other than the Hollywood version through Apocalypse Now, many people have not even seen one. Yet many people on this board are angry at Kerry, who is giving these brave veterans some overdue media attention.

5. Lastly, there are a lot of internet heroes hiding anonymously behind screen names. While sitting at home at your computer watching Halliburton stock reports, it is easy to throw stones.

If you are truly a Vietnam vet, like my Dad, then I have all the respect in the world for you.

If you are using this board to promote the right wing religiously fanatical ideals of the Republican Party, then have your fun while it lasts. Bush's days are numbered.

Toast,

Let me address your questions. This is just me, as an individual, speaking. I agree with much of the Kerry sentiment here, but am not a spokesman.

toast wrote:

When does someone come out against someone else? It seems to me that speaking out against a candidate happens when the person is a candidate, not before. Or maybe I misunderstand the question.

toast wrote:
2. Why is the site lead by veteran corporate media consultant and Texas Republican activist Merrie Spaeth, who is listed as the group's media contact; eternal Kerry antagonist and Dallas attorney John E. O'Neill, law partner of Spaeth's late husband, Tex Lezar; and retired Rear Adm.

Why not? Are you saying these people have a negative opinion of John Kerry? If so, I agree. But I don't see what that has to do with anything.

toast wrote:

That isn't a question.

toast wrote:

That isn't a question either.

toast wrote:

That isn't a question either.

Richard
Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW (after thought)

What branch were you in? I am amazed with the number of people without the heuvos to serve in any branch (Active Duty, Active Reserves, or National Guard) are quick to bad-mouth someone who did serve.

Where were you for that coward, William the Impeached's military record? Or algore serving a couple of months with bodyguards while his father was running for re-election, and coming home early (happens a lot for those with political ambitions) when his father lost?

Gun Safety by algore

Personally, those who never served don't have the right to open their piehole about anyone's service.

Yes, I did serve my country. I enlisted at 17.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll tackle your “questions,” Toast. However, like I have told many others over the years, you may not like my answers. In that case, if my answers are unsatisfactory, don’t ask me the questions.

Quote:

Like I already said, I can’t answer for Swiftboat Vets. But since Mr. Kerry seems to be heir apparent to the Democratic nomination, and he is running as a “War Hero,” of a conflict he himself stated was criminal, horrific, illegal and such, who better than those that may have served alongside or in the same capacity as he has to speak out?

As I said in a previous response, many of us have been speaking out to deaf ears for many years. The stakes are even higher now.

Quote:

By this, I would assume you are as equally upset at Moveon.org and it’s support by George Soros, the Billionaire that wishes to unseat Bush “at any cost?”

Personally, I feel your description of the site being “led” by those is a bit of a mischaracterization. Supporting and leading are different matters. Your slanderous remarks against other Vietnam Veterans, while trying to build up your Vietnam Veteran candidate, does not bode you well. Wasn’t it your candidate who “took part in” ‘destroying hooches” and “killing people,” not just wanting? You cannot have it both ways.

Quote:

I don’t see Mr. Kerry trying to honor anyone that served on swiftboats, other than himself. Maybe those few that support him. I hope you don’t look to movies as Apocalypse Now for much truth about Vietnam. I just watched the redux version of it last night, with some 43 minutes of previously removed scenes re-inserted and while the equipment used and the landscape are fairly accurate, the rest is about as accurate as Mr. Kerry’s assertion of all the baby killing, raping, ear cutting off, mutilating he claimed went on on a regular basis. If you really wish to see how honorable men served there, watch We Were Soldiers, even if Hollywood gave it such poor reviews.

I would think that those who set up this site are in as much of a position, if not more of a position, to tell of how honorably swiftboats served in Vietnam. Mr. Kerry seems more inclined to tell how “honorably” he served, although it could be argued he abandoned his crew due to relatively minor wounds requiring band-aids for treatment and not major medical treatment, as most other Purple Heart recipients did.

Quote:

Being born to a Massachusetts family associated with the Forbes fortune isn’t also a “fortunate son?” Rubbing elbows with and boating with the Kennedy family doesn’t also fall within the realm of “fortunate son?”

Since it seems being a Vietnam Veteran is such a major issue in this election, shouldn’t Vietnam Veterans voices be amongst the most prominent being heard? Instead of saying he is the “first Vietnam Veteran to win a major parties nomination (which he officially hasn’t just yet), maybe you need to ask or research why so many Vietnam Veterans do not support him.

Quote:

Ad hominum attacks against those not supporting your candidate will not help any hear you any better, only the exact opposite. Cheap shots at corporations both parties have used in these matters also makes people not want to take you very seriously.

I fail to see how you can classify others that served in the same capacity as Mr. Kerry as “internet heroes” and expect to be taken seriously. I also fail to see how his under 4 months service, after speaking out against the conflict a few years prior to his serving and returning home to denigrate the rest still serving and enter into self serving tirades against established authority classifies him as a “war hero.”

As for charges against Halliburton, I invite you to read the following article;

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/richlowry/rl20030918.shtml
toast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow BigKahuna, I don't know how I lived all these years without your SW Texas knowledge.

Where are the facts that support your belief that "Kerry is a gigolo"?

Bush is "honest"? Hardly! Bush has lied to the American people while in office. Or did you forget the "weapons of mass destruction" reason for killing our soldiers in Iraq. Did you forget the ficticious link of 9/11 to Iraq they he tried to sell us.

And where did you get my voting record? How do you know if I voted for Clinton or not? Back then, I seem to remember that military service was an issue, and it should be now.

Fact: Kerry served, Bush didn't. Bush's Dad pulled some strings so Jr could got to Maine and drink & drive.

Maybe that is how they do things in SW Texas, don't know, don't ever want to know.
Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toast wrote:
Wow BigKahuna, I don't know how I lived all these years without your SW Texas knowledge.

Where are the facts that support your belief that "Kerry is a gigolo"?

Bush is "honest"? Hardly! Bush has lied to the American people while in office. Or did you forget the "weapons of mass destruction" reason for killing our soldiers in Iraq. Did you forget the ficticious link of 9/11 to Iraq they he tried to sell us.

And where did you get my voting record? How do you know if I voted for Clinton or not? Back then, I seem to remember that military service was an issue, and it should be now.

Fact: Kerry served, Bush didn't. Bush's Dad pulled some strings so Jr could got to Maine and drink & drive.

Maybe that is how they do things in SW Texas, don't know, don't ever want to know.

That's OK -- Texas will survive with one less anti-military Socialist Rolling Eyes

With regards to the talking points Michael Moore scripted for you -- I'll not dignify that sheep dip with a comment. I'll instead raise my hand to save the watch.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toast wrote:

Fact: Kerry served, Bush didn't.

I realize that you don't want to admit this, but the Guard is service.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: