SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SBVT ad takes too much bandwidth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Levinson
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: SBVT ad takes too much bandwidth Reply with quote

Only the .mpeg ad is available from http://www.swiftvets.com/, and it is in the megabyte range-- really too much to download if you are on a modem connection, as I am. Remember Colonel Linebarger's warning that a message is not effective unless it can spread rapidly.

(1) Make downloadable royalty-free leaflets like the ones at my site (URL below). These will be under 100Kb and people can download them quickly. Not only that, they can take them to their local Office Max, run off copies, and hand them out. Then other people can copy the copies.

As an example, Kerry's and Joe Ponder's pictures and statements could be put on the leaflet. Grayscale (or color that reproduces well in a grayscale copier) should be used.

Another leaflet idea: "Vietnam Veterans for Kerry" over NVA and Viet Cong soldiers. "These Vietnam war veterans express their undying gratitude to Mr. Kerry for confessing freely to war crimes and blanket-smearing his buddies with the same accusation, because dozens of U.S. POWs refused obstinately to make the same statements under torture."

(2) By the way, one can't access the forum or other parts of the site from the home page! There is no link.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SBVT ad takes too much bandwidth Reply with quote

Bill Levinson wrote:
(2) By the way, one can't access the forum or other parts of the site from the home page! There is no link.

Sure you can:

on the home page> "The Real Story Click Here"

on the page that comes up, look in the column at the left edge for >Discussion Forum
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADMIN/MODERATOR: pay attention to this

Is it illegal to download the advertisements, put them on a CD, and just give the CD's away?

If there are any legalities involved, what are they, so "I wouldn't be breaking the law"?
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: HOW DO I Reply with quote

I want to know how I can put these ads on DVD. Can anyone help me with this? I want to pass them around.

Thanks,

Jody in Texas
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW DO I Reply with quote

forgivenjojo wrote:
I want to know how I can put these ads on DVD. Can anyone help me with this? I want to pass them around.

Thanks,

Jody in Texas

You just download the mpeg's and make the disc.
That's the easy part.

I'm worried about the legal part.
We might have to add disclaimers, source information, etc.
I'd not like to get SBVFT in any more legal side issues than necessary.

What would be "the best of all possible worlds" would be for SBVFT to provide a link that would make a generically approved CD (or DVD) for distribution that we could copy, including disclaimers.
Bill Levinson
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW DO I Reply with quote

[quote="jwb7605"]
forgivenjojo wrote:

I'm worried about the legal part.
We might have to add disclaimers, source information, etc.
I'd not like to get SBVFT in any more legal side issues than necessary.

What would be "the best of all possible worlds" would be for SBVFT to provide a link that would make a generically approved CD (or DVD) for distribution that we could copy, including disclaimers.

If SBVT owns the ad it should be free to make it available for download and distribution (just as my royalty-free leaflets are). It could be made conditional on "as long as no modifications or changes are made," e.g. so Kerry's people couldn't modify the ad and use it for their own purposes. SBVT should ask its lawyer to make sure.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make sure the question goes "up the chain" today.

I know that many blogs and sites are now hosting the ads - I don't know if they all got permission, signed compliance agreements, or what.

But, we'll try to get an answer for you.

Thanks!
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
I'll make sure the question goes "up the chain" today.

I know that many blogs and sites are now hosting the ads - I don't know if they all got permission, signed compliance agreements, or what.

But, we'll try to get an answer for you.

Thanks!

No -- thank YOU!
I insist! Very Happy
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to see if you can pay www.human-events.com to host your ads for you....I bet you could pay them like 500 dollars a month to host the bandwidth for you.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. But they may get the value back just from advertising value back.

If its a 527 issue...forget it...but if not...what the hey

Last edited by integritycounts on Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you dial-up folks want to see (a smaller image with slightly reduced quality) and hear the "sellout" ad in Real Media form (requires the latest Real player), I have reduced the file size to about 165KB. PM me with an email address, and I'll send it to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: