SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

William Rood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccwebb
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: William Rood Reply with quote

William Rood - a swift boat captain - now a journalist with the Chicago Tribune - today broke his silence and is backing John Kerry on the events of 2/28/69.

See two links:
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/381249|top|08-21-2004::12:46|reuters.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/home/main100.shtml

Now I am naturally suspicious of the partisan media but can someone tell me what overall effect does this have on swiftvets efforts to set the record straight?

Thanks

Charlie
amstanbury
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: William Rood Reply with quote

CBS article does not even resemble journalism. Would like to see Rood's entire article but I won't register with Chi. Tribune or any other "newspaper" requiring registration. CBS' selected quotations do not justify the hyperbolic, conclusory headline. They might just as well have said "End of Story", which, of course, it's not. Who are those for whom he purports to speak, i.e., those vets who are being "hurt" by the Swiftvet ads and statements? We'll never know because, like any hit-and-run artist, he's not going to say anything more about it publicly, let alone debate it. What's the score now? 254-2? 254-10? Whatever.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of these stories say what Rood says actually happened.

There is not much there there. Of course the MSM will spin this as another proof; look at how this stuff is written about "Republican attacks", etc. It is all against the SBVFT. It's OK t slime SBVFT, but it is an outrage to ask Kerry to sign the 180.
gilliam
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is information here:

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3863
efuseakay
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: William Rood Reply with quote

amstanbury wrote:
CBS article does not even resemble journalism. Would like to see Rood's entire article but I won't register with Chi. Tribune or any other "newspaper" requiring registration. CBS' selected quotations do not justify the hyperbolic, conclusory headline. They might just as well have said "End of Story", which, of course, it's not. Who are those for whom he purports to speak, i.e., those vets who are being "hurt" by the Swiftvet ads and statements? We'll never know because, like any hit-and-run artist, he's not going to say anything more about it publicly, let alone debate it. What's the score now? 254-2? 254-10? Whatever.

You don't have to register... just go to:

http://www.bugmenot.com/

... and type in:

http://www.chicagotribune.com

Click Show Logins, snd you will get a login and password... Cool
gilliam
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain why he doesn't show up in the picture of officers taken on: January 22, 1969??

http://www.swiftvets.com/index.php?topic=SwiftPhoto
efuseakay
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilliam wrote:
Can anyone explain why he doesn't show up in the picture of officers taken on: January 22, 1969??

http://www.swiftvets.com/index.php?topic=SwiftPhoto

Well, the photo, as you stated, was taken January 22, 1969... and the evens Rood is talking about were on Feb. 28, 1969... he may not have even been in CD 11 at the time that photo was taken... he could have arrived afterwards...
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 2 cents on Rood:

http://idexer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.At this time I'll go with Lt.jg.William Rood being the "mole". It is my opinion that he was a Kerry "Ace in the Hole" in the event the SwiftVets got this far. The Kerry Campaign apparently waited too long to use him and now the SwiftVets have access to major cash.
2.Kerry's Campaign is now shooting at ghosts. They are answering questions in the 1st. SwiftVets Ad, while the 2nd. SwiftVets Ad is condemning Kerry for his Anti-War antics.The campaign has lost it's balance.It has to spend time and money on Damage Control.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rood doesn't really add anything to the discussion other than suggesting that the VC Kerry killed was an adult rather than a teenager, although he doesn't appear to have been close enough to tell for sure. Rood doesn't even explain why he received a bronze star in the incident or what Kerry did other than beach the boats and kill a wounded VC.

I'm curious about what happened to Donald Droz's(OIC on third boat) boat later(April or May I believe). I saw a report that it was found beached and badly damaged with Droz dead. I'm wondering if Droz attempted the same stunt Kerry did for the silver star and Charlie was prepared and took advantage of the situation to destroy the boat.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Abbey November
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Droz and Rood Reply with quote

jalexson...on the day Don Droz was killed, he was not "attempting any stunt". Don had just returned from two weeks R&R in Hawaii with his wife and two month old daughter. His boat was loaded with both troops and also about 1,000 pounds of high explosives that were to be used to blow up some bunkers. The extra weight slowed him down and seperated him somewhat from the other boats. When the 43 boat ran through the ambush kill zone, they were hit by B-40 and small arms fire. Don was mortally wounded. The 43 boat was disabled by the hostile fire and moved towards the port bank which was the direction from which the ambush came. The other boats returned to assist. After the crew and troops were removed, then the high explosives detonated, thus destroying the boat. For an eye witness description of the incident that was written several years ago by a SEAL, go to the following link http://www.justasailor.com/43death.html My suggestion is that you let memories of Don Droz remain as they are. He was a good OinC.

Bandit and ETEE...Bill Rood's description reads just like other spot reports and after action descriptions. The construction of the ambush, the response and movement of the boats is the same as what typically happened to the swiftboats. Bill said that he spoke out for the record of his crew and the other crews. He did not want to see their service marginalized. He believed they performed admirably and wanted to provided his own eye witness account. Since writing the article, Bill has not said any more and returned to the background. His account and his subsequent behavior seem to bear out his stated intent.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rood is unreliable. He didn't serve on Kerry's boat either Laughing Wink
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a copy of Rood's Bronze star Recomendation or citation? for the incident in which kerry gets his Silver Star

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp

Quote:
Kerry Spot reader Barnaby observes that the article by former Swift Boat commander William B. Rood creates a new problem for John Kerry. Rood's bronze star citation says he earned the medal "while serving with friendly foreign forces" and "Underwater Demolition Team THIRTEEN and Vietnamese Regional and Popular Force personnel."

Kerry's Silver Star citation makes no mention of Underwater Demolition Team THIRTEEN, and the friendly foreign forces aren't credited with any role in the battle. The description makes it sound like Kerry and his crew saved the day.

This inconsistency bears out one of the Swift Boat Vets's objection to Kerry's Silver Star citation. Page 83 of Unfit for Command: "The citation simply ignores the presence of the soldiers and advisors who actually "captured the many enemy weapons" and routed the Viet Cong. Further, the citation ignores the preplanned nature of the tactic and the fact that Kerry's boat did not beach first. Finally, the citations statement that Kerry attacked a "numerically superior force in the face of intense fire" is simply false." Admiral Roy Hoffman, who keeps being cited as a formerly pro-Kerry vet who has "changed his story," says he was told Kerry had "almost single-handedly" routed the Viet Cong.

It's little things like this that make one wish one could ask questions of Mr. Rood. And it makes one wonder if Kerry's reports to his superiors after battles were more than a little self-serving.

Last edited by chemical_boy on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if the Post got it and posted it.
PierreLegrand
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: I posted a long rebuttal to Roods Chicago Tribune story Reply with quote

I posted a long rebuttal of his entire article on my blog. I hope that y'all enjoy it.

http://www.papadoc.net/2004/08/fact-checking-rood.html

Pierre Legrand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: