SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOS -Need assist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mona
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: SOS -Need assist Reply with quote

If you go here: http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/006526.shtml#comments you will see what I believe is the longest thread in the Reason blogs history -- Swiftee issues have us in a flame war. I'm a primary participant and think I've held my own, but I can't find the info to counter the claims re: John O'Neill's campaign contributions, which is toward the end of the thread.

Reason is an important libertarian magazine and there are many swing voters among we libertarians. So, anyone who can fill in my deficiency here, thanks.
[/i]
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpt from a UK Telegraph article posted here:

Quote:
Doubts were also cast on Mr O'Neill's claim that he usually supports
Democrat candidates when details of his financial support for
politicians were published in the Washington magazine Capitol Hill
Blue last week. Federal Election Commission records revealed that
the Texan lawyer has contributed $14,650 to various Republican
candidates since 1990, yet national and local election data showed
no contributions to Democrat politicians.

But Mr O'Neill denied that he had given money to Republicans, rather
than Democrats. "That story is inaccurate because it focuses only on
the money I have given to local Republican candidates, candidates I
supported because I liked them or their policies and not because
they were Republican," he said.

"I have recently given $20,000 to Democrats running for the Houston
City Council. It is unfair to characterise me as a Bush guy. If the
Democrats had come up with any other candidate, I would not be here
now and I would be back home in Texas."

Excerpt from interview with Chris Mattews posted here:

Quote:
MATTHEWS: OK, you‘re a Texan.
Have you voted Democrat recently for president?

O‘NEILL: Absolutely. I haven‘t voted for a Republican since 1988. As a matter of fact, I just backed the Democratic mayor of Houston, Bill White.

(CROSSTALK)
MATTHEWS: OK, so you‘ve voted—you‘re generally a Republican or a Democrat when it comes to voting for president?

O‘NEILL: It depends on the person, Chris.

MATTHEWS: Did you vote for Clinton?

O‘NEILL: No, actually.

MATTHEWS: Did you vote for Gore?

O‘NEILL: I voted for Perot twice.

MATTHEWS: OK. Did you vote for Gore?

O‘NEILL: I voted for Gore. I voted for Gore. I don‘t know really why I should go into my voting record.

The Search function will help you find more info.
WallaceNails
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcipt from FoxNews Interview with O'Neill:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129343,00.html

Quote:

HUME: I understand. All right. Now, let's just to talk about you a little further here. There are allegations flying — I saw some of them today on web sites and so on — that you are a Republican activist. And partisan, who has been a registered Republican for the past 20 years or so and has given something on the order of $14,000 to Republican candidates. Your response.

O'NEILL: Well, first of all. Of course, there are 254 guys in our operation, 60 of them won the Purple Heart. I'm only one of many people, but as to me, that is not true either. The actual records, which I actually drawn, show that I have given more money to Democratic candidates than to Republican candidates.

But I'm not a Republican or a Democrat. I have always voted for the person. I have given money for example to Duane Sand who went to the Naval Academy. On the other hand, I have given money to Bill White, who is a Democratic candidate for mayor of Houston. And I've done that because I thought they would be good people.

HUME: Well, what about the 14 grand? Were those contributions you actually did make to Republicans?

O'NEILL: Actually, about half of them were mine and I've given in excess of $25,000 to Democrats over the same 15-year period. About three times as much.

HUME: What about the rest of the other $7,000?

O'NEILL: Those are actually funds, as nearly as I can tell, that were given my law partner who has almost the same name, Edward J. O'Neill. I simply didn't give them. I would have been happy to give them. I just didn't.

HUME: Mr. O'Neill, it's nice to have you. Thank you for coming. Hope we can see you again.

O'NEILL: Thank you very much. Thank you, Brit.

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WallaceNails,

I saw that interview on Fox, but couldn't find the transcript. Wink
mr_mechanical
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS -Need assist Reply with quote

Mona wrote:
If you go here: http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/006526.shtml#comments you will see what I believe is the longest thread in the Reason blogs history -- Swiftee issues have us in a flame war. I'm a primary participant and think I've held my own, but I can't find the info to counter the claims re: John O'Neill's campaign contributions, which is toward the end of the thread.

Reason is an important libertarian magazine and there are many swing voters among we libertarians. So, anyone who can fill in my deficiency here, thanks.
[/i]

I made a post there... Laughing
1IDVET
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Excerpt from a UK Telegraph article posted
Quote:
MATTHEWS: OK, you‘re a Texan.
Have you voted Democrat recently for president?

O‘NEILL: Absolutely. I haven‘t voted for a Republican since 1988. As a matter of fact, I just backed the Democratic mayor of Houston, Bill White.

(CROSSTALK)
MATTHEWS: OK, so you‘ve voted—you‘re generally a Republican or a Democrat when it comes to voting for president?

O‘NEILL: It depends on the person, Chris.

MATTHEWS: Did you vote for Clinton?

O‘NEILL: No, actually.

MATTHEWS: Did you vote for Gore?

O‘NEILL: I voted for Perot twice.

MATTHEWS: OK. Did you vote for Gore?

O‘NEILL: I voted for Gore. I voted for Gore. I don‘t know really why I should go into my voting record.

The Search function will help you find more info.

The site apparently left out a rather telling remark from Mathews:

It is labeled as "Crosstalk", but I heard it and Mathews says: "So, you are a Republican." Then proceeds on with the rest of the "interview".

Non-biased my butt.
I guess we already knew that though, eh? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: