SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WOW! from the Boston Globe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: WOW! from the Boston Globe Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of Kerry's biggest fans are in the press

Not much doubt who the media wants to win

By Jeff Jacoby, Globe Columnist | August 24, 2004

With the exception of the Fox News Channel, the liberal tilt of the mainstream media - the major newspapers, the networks, National Public Radio, the news magazines - has long been a fact of American life. No one observing the coverage of this year's presidential campaign with both eyes open can have much doubt that the media establishment is pulling heavily for the Democratic ticket.

Read the full story here

Quote:
That explains why, for example, the intense media interest in George W. Bush's National Guard records last February wasn't matched by an equally intense interest in John Kerry's Navy history in May, when the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth first went public with their criticisms. Far from leaping on the charges that Kerry's Vietnam heroism had been greatly exaggerated, the mainstream media's initial reaction was to largely ignore them. And while the press saw no reason to question the credibility of Bush's accusers or to demand that Kerry repudiate them, their attitude toward the Swift Boat vets has been much more hostile.

neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Jacoby is one of the very few Boston Globe conservatives. Sort of like Adam Smith and Debra Saunders on the San Francisco Chronicle.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that is a good article
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing new. If one is even 1/2 way pro-American, we've been seeing these swipes at American values, or American industry or military institutions for decades now. Most of these side-swiping news articles, (print or video media) always have a qualifying "but" or "however" about them, but they still bash American values.

Personally, all I watch now is FOX. We've endured DECADES of liberal-media crap...So don't tell me now about how I am "close-minded" (a charge levied by some accquaintences of mine) because I limit my choices.

FOX, or the Washington Times, or Limbaugh, while not perfect, are like being given aspirin after decades of headaches.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is:

Who, exactly, elected these News Media folks into their positions of great influence over an entire nation's population? From where do they take their license to be anything but objective?

How is a biased media any different than an unelected monarchy ... or a dictatorship?

The system of having an unelected and unvetted group of biased individuals wielding tremendous influence, hence power, needs urgent revision.

FDL

---------------------------------------------------

None of this should come as a surprise. The nation's newsrooms are Democratic strongholds, and that cannot help but affect their coverage of the news. Evan Thomas, the assistant managing editor of Newsweek, put it plainly last month.

``Let's talk a little media bias here,'' he said on the PBS program ``Inside Washington'' on July 11. ``The media, I think, want Kerry to win. And I think they're going to portray Kerry and Edwards . . . as being young and dynamic and optimistic and all, there's going to be this glow about them that is going to be worth, collectively, the two of them, that's going to be worth maybe 15 points.'' Just how lopsided is the pro-Kerry bias? When New York Times reporter John Tierney surveyed reporters covering the Democratic National Convention last month, the results were striking.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason Fox News is increasing in their ratings and the MSM is loosing ground. They had better wake up before it starts affecting all of their programing...because if they do not watch it the "rest of us" will just all together quit watching their stations.
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
My question is:

How is a biased media any different than an unelected monarchy ... or a dictatorship?.FDL
The media possess a bias because as someone said once: "...don't pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel".
JohM
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guess what? Ink doesn't count any more. By the time they got the barrel to the press them ole electrons will have them beat by two weeks. The days of the print media being the locus of what makes it to the public discourse are over. They are having sour grapes in having control wrested from them but that true of any shift of enterprises.

The 5th Estate (Blogosphere/Internet) has won with this election cycle. When half the population of the country has at least acknowledged that there is a contraversy going on and the press has not done story one, their days are numbered. The likes of the NYT, SFG and WaPo will become nothing more than greensheets with people looking for something to buy. As a newssource they are dead unless they change their ways.

There is NOTHING unique in what a reporter does that you or I can't.

JohnM
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FORT DIX LOVER,

You wanna know who has propelled these liberal morons to power?

YOU DID, I DID, WE ALL DID. AND we continue today to pay their salaries. Think of how you spend your money. These companies have given billions to these established news networks over the years. These companies are getting their money from WHO?

I have already answered that.

Any Questions? Wanna do something about it? Sounds like a BIGGER mission ahead doesnt it?
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone,

This also spells the end of the big two party system. That's because traditionally the two main parties had the monopoly on money, but more importantly political machinery.

That monopoly is now broken.

It may take an election cycle or two, but I am convinced now after seeing this.

Truth is Beauty
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see the 2 party system done away with. What that is going to take is the Middle Class of this country to say enough is enough.

I would not want to bet that is going to happen anytime soon just for the fact that the ultra-left and the ultra-right will still try to divid this country.
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD ONIONS,

I know full well who the far left is. But please tell me, who is the far right?
What group of people make up "The mysterious far right" and what harmful things are they trying to do to this country?

I am on the edge of my chair awaiting your reply!!!!

Thanks,

Jody in Texas, ......... East Texas......... (THE RIGHT SIDE)
Belisaurius
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a far right, but they are so far to the right that they are well nigh indistinguishable from the far left. The LewRockwell.coms, that female Colonel who was Hackworth's mole in the Pentagon, the Constitution Party, and unreconstructed confederates. We see those folks all the time at FR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: