SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry on Jon Stewart show "Were you in Cambodia?"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brody
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Kerry on Jon Stewart show "Were you in Cambodia?" Reply with quote

After weeks of charge and countercharge in the presidential campaign, comedian Jon Stewart tried Tuesday to get to the bottom of the debate over Democrat John Kerry's military service in Vietnam.

"I watch a lot of the cable news shows, so I understand that you were never in Vietnam," asked Stewart, host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show."

"That's what I understand, too, but I'm trying to find out what happened," Kerry joked.

A group of Vietnam veterans has accused Kerry, in public statements and in television commercials, of exaggerating his actions during the war, where he served on a Navy swift boat and earned five medals.

As Kerry launched into one of his lengthy monologues about why President Bush avoids talking about issues like the economy, jobs and the environment, the comedian interrupted.

"I'm sorry," Stewart said. "Were you or were you not in Cambodia?"

Stewart and Kerry then lean in and stare each other down over the comedian's desk before Stewart asks about some of the other things Kerry's opponents are saying about him.

"Are you the number one most liberal senator in the Senate?" he asked, joking about claims that Kerry is "more liberal than Karl Marx, apparently."

"No," Kerry answered.

"Are you or have you ever flip-flopped?" Stewart asked.

"I've flip-flopped, flap-flipped," Kerry said, poking fun at the GOP's label.

Stewart also sought answers to another hard-hitting question: "Is it true that every time I use ketchup, your wife gets a nickel?" The candidate's wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, is heir to the Heinz food fortune.

"Would that it were," Kerry said.

When the conversation turned serious, Stewart asked Kerry how he would counter Bush's ability in debates to turn issues into a choice between his position and the opposition.

Kerry said the debates would be a challenge. "The president has won every debate he's ever had," Kerry said. "He beat Ann Richards. He beat Al Gore. So, he's a good debater."

Many presidential candidates appeared on late-night comedy shows this year. John Edwards, now Kerry's running mate, even announced on "The Daily Show" that he was a candidate for president -- which Kerry said he watched.

"I think that's why he lost," Stewart said.

"No, he won," Kerry insisted, then jokingly offered to hold their inauguration on the show.

Kerry offered an interesting observation on life as a presidential candidate.

"You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce themselves to you in the men's room," he said. "It's the most bizarre part of this entire thing."
SeaPort#26
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances that he is LYING about people trying to introduce themselves in the men's room? Laughing

Admin note:

Probably astronomically better than your chances of seeing him get elected.
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, give the man a little something to be truthful about, now.
Besides he may get a lot of votes in that ther bathrom! Laughing
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry on Jon Stewart show "Were you in Cambodia?&am Reply with quote

Brody wrote:
(quoting John Kerry)"You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce themselves to you in the men's room," he said. It's the most bizarre part of this entire thing."

I see John Kerry's a fan of Hunter Thompson and Where the Buffalo Roam!

Wink
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he never answered the question about Cambodia?
Brody
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that segment on Jon Stewarts show being used in an ad. John Kerry's military service, which is so renowned that no one dare speak ill of it without suffering a fate worse then smoking a turd in hell, is being joked about by J f'ing K himself.
Ladyhawke
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see this show? I tried to watch, to no avail.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of offering an Interview to a real journalist...Kerry stages a show. When asked to clarify an issue that Kerry is widely reported to have lied about, Senator Kerry refused to answer the question.

Link for article http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/08/24/politics1851EDT0711.DTL&type=printable
Ladyhawke
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I read the article. As it claims to have been done on "Tuesday" I tuned in to watch it. It was not as described, so I'm simply wondering if I somehow missed the show. Did anyone see this?
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge the show is shown first at 11 pm...so it is just about to air on the East Coast now.

West Coast is still 3 hours away....you likely saw a repeat.
Ladyhawke
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I was beginning to think that I was living in an alternate universe! I'll watch at the later time.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry on Jon Stewart show "Were you in Cambodia?&am Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Brody wrote:
(quoting John Kerry)"You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce themselves to you in the men's room," he said. It's the most bizarre part of this entire thing."

I see John Kerry's a fan of Hunter Thompson and Where the Buffalo Roam!

Wink

That quote is actually something a script writer for Kerry would put in for him....the lets Humanize the Candidate thing....some major case studies were done on this on Kennedy....its Candidate promoting 101.

Kerry would have Secret Service with him at the time too.

Do I think that Quote of Kerry's is a staged Claim...a line...which he was told to say. YES I DO.

I think Kerry's entire Daily Show appearance was a scripted event, worked out with Stewart in advance....obviously the "Stare down" scripted in advance
ghiapaul
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching it now and it is making me sick. Stewart is kissing his ass. Kerry is now attacking Bush for taking us to war like he never voted for it. Says Bush is being stubborn about war, taxes, how to fight the war, etc. It is really sickening. Kerry is saying he has all these plans but no specifics. Joked about swiftvets attacking him - says he knew it was coming. Stewart asks if he was 3 miles from Cambodia or 5 miles like they are saying. What a joke!
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now kerry can claim that he is not ducking the media. I have given serious interviews, because I won 3 purple hearts.
ghiapaul
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a show that bills itself as the "fake news". Jon Steart sure did his best at a Tim Russert type interview of Kerry. He made fun of all criticism, and let Kerry spout all his rhetoric. I was really disappointed that this show gave Kerry such a pass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: