SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navy-commands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scraper3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Navy-commands Reply with quote

how does an electrical officer from a DDG get a PCF command in the first place?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry was a line officer and command Swifts would have helped him get a ticket punched on the way to a Navy career.

He requested to go to Swifts after only a year on the USS Gridley and it was approved.
scraper3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy3

My best to you and all associated with SBVT!

I'm listening to John O'neil on KSFO right now.

He must have had a minder. It's incredulous that the Navy would give a command to an officer with marginal fitreps and little or no ship handling experience or combat fleet ops other than plane guard duty.
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Navy-commands Reply with quote

scraper3 wrote:
how does an electrical officer from a DDG get a PCF command in the first place?

Navy policy, scraper3, it made sense to me in 1969 and it makes sense now.

As electrical officer on USS Gridley with one WESPAC deployment under his belt, John Kerry had enough seasoning to be in charge of a small boat in the Gulf of Tonkin, which is essentially open sea. I recall that most of the Swift Boat OINCs I saw were LT(JG), an O-2 rank, and applicants with some sea duty experience were preferred. In those years it might have been a bit too much for all but the saltiest fresh caught Ensign and a step down for a Navy LT (O-3). You'll notice I said OINC, not CO. Duty at sea on a Swift Boat would also likely make a LT(JG) more competitive for promotion compared to an assignment inshore with no boat handling responsibilities.

Patrol Boat Riverine (PBRs) were commanded by PO1 (E-6) and CPO (E-7) and were almost exclusively restricted to rivers and canals, Swift Boats were selected for service in the open sea, rivers and canals came later.
PBRs were assigned to River Divisions, PCFs assigned to Coastal Divisions.

I do seem to recall that MSBs assigned in Vietnam were skippered by CPOs.

Any Swifty or PBR sailor with direct experience can contradict me if I'm off target here, I just repaired the radios and radars and fathometers and PsyOps Amps and loud hailers, and hitched rides on the boats, and I also allowed the Swiftys to buy me beer. Laughing

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm

Last edited by PhuCat to Phu Quoc on Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:37 am; edited 2 times in total
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TF-116 River Patrol Boat Boat Captains were generally P02 (E-5) Boatswain's Mates, Quartermasters, Gunners Mates....Blackshoe deck ratings. Patrol officers were deck rating CPOs (E-7,8,9) and Junior Officers like Kerry and occassionaly an experienced PO1 (E-6). They would be in charge of two-boat patrols. Larger group acitivities would generally have a LT (0-3) as OTC (officer in tactical command)

In TF-117 Rivererine the Boat Captains were deck rating Petty Officer's (E-5,6). The OTC could be as high as a LCDR (O-4) Division Commander on large missions enploying a CCB (Command and Control Boat)

There was one Bastard Division in 1969-70 which was my 2nd division, 595/153 Delta Destroyers, which served in both TF116 and TF117. You'll see its first shoulder patch below.

It had mainly E-6 and E-7 Patrol Officers and E-5 Boat Captains. Patrol officers were in charge of 2 50 foot heavily armed ASPBs and performed missions similar to those performed by PBR's. I was a plankowner and Patrol Officer RivDiv 595/153.

One reason Swifts had O-type OinCs was that their original mission included operating as much as 50 NM offshore. This required coastal navigation skills that many (not all) E-types didn't possess.

Last edited by ASPB on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
In TF-116 River Patrol Boat Boat Captains were generally P02 (E-5) Boatswain's Mates, Quartermasters, Gunners Mates....Blackshoe deck ratings. Patrol officers were deck rating CPOs (E-7,8,9) and Junior Officers like Kerry and occassionaly an experienced PO1 (E-6). They would be in charge of two-boat patrols. Larger group acitivities would generally have a LT (0-2) as OTC (officer in tactical command)

Thanks for correcting me there ASPB, I knew that PO2 ran PBRs, I forgot about it, I was around Swift Boats more. I took R&R at Vung Tau in January 1970 with RD1 Jim King, who skippered a PBR. So besides the BMs, QMs, GMs, RDs, I think some SMs got assigned as PBR captains and I think I heard of an RM who got a PBR, which if it's true, must have taken some serious finagling or spectacular bungling. Didn't PBRs often carry one ENFN or EN3?

ASPB wrote:
In TF-117 Rivererine the Boat Captains were deck rating Petty Officer's (E-5,6). The OTC could be as high as a LCDR (O-4) Division Commander on large missions enploying a CCB (Command and Control Boat)

There was one Bastard Division in 1969-70 which was my 2nd division, 595/153 Delta Destroyers, which served in both TF116 and TF117. You'll see its first shoulder patch below.

It had mainly E-6 and E-7 Patrol Officers and E-5 Boat Captains. Patrol officers were in charge of 2 50 foot heavily armed ASPBs and performed missions similar to those performed by PBR's. I was a plankowner and Patrol Officer RivDiv 595/153.

Your statement below is in line with my longer explanation in my previous post, above. For navigation purposes, the Swift Boats also had arguably a better radar for coastal and open sea operations, the Decca 202, versus the Raytheon 1900 Pathfinder used on PBRs and most of the other riverine craft. The Swift Boats also had a fathometer, I don't think the PBRs had one or needed one, shallow draft Jacuzzi driven operations being a key feature of the PBRs. Maybe I need my memory jogged, but I suddenly don't recall seeing any PO1 on Swifts, all PO2, PO3, SN/FN directed by the LT(JG).

ASPB wrote:
One reason Swifts had O-type OinCs was that their original mission included operating as much as 50 NM offshore. This required coastal navigation skills that many (not all) E-types didn't possess.

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
ASPB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EN3 and sometimes even EN2s on Riverine boats.

A typical ASPB, where my experience was, would include.

1 BM, GM, SM QM, etc 2nd class as boat captain
1 ENSN, EN3, EN2 as engineer and stern .50 Cal gunner
1 RD3 or RM3 as radar/radio operator
2 GMGSN or GMG3 Turret gunners to handle the .20MM cannon and M-18 40MM coffee-grinder grenade launchers.

A two boat Patrol in 595/153 would carry 1 E-6 or E-7 deck rated Patrol Officer.

That's what I did for last 7 months of my tour as a BM1. The first 5 months were spent as a Boat Captain in RIVDIV 92. A short stint on an ATC but most of the time as BC of ASPB 92-8.
scraper3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Navy Commands Reply with quote

PHUCAT & ASPB

My point is this,: Kerry spent about 4months total on the Gridley. 3 of those months in the war zone. A guided missle frigate in operation with a task force would operate at a radius of approx. 20 miles from the carrier on a threat axis. Little steaming say at 1500 yds from a carrier. Kerry didn't make OOD{F} while on the Gridley. Kerry strengths according to the fitreps was as PAO & deck crew chief, no mention of shiphandling or performance in combat. Space was limited in the PCF program.

The Gridley was temporarily decomissioned for 2 years after Kerry's first
cruise. Could it be that the Navy simply needed to put him somewhere and that he had requested swift boats?
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that he requested Swift Duty on his first day at sea on his 1st Westpac on the Gridley. He'd been aboard in Long Beach since about July of 67. When they left Long Beach for a Westpac he wanted out. Seasick?

And yes, Swift duty was in demand at the time because it was a "command" billet with little risk compared to what was going on in the Brown Water Navy.
scraper3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB

Kerry: 11/17/66 BUPERS orders, assigned 10 weeks DCAC. Gridley 1/3/67 left Subic for South China Sea, 6/8/67 arrive Long Beach after stop over in Australia, then to Maine for retrofit--temp decommission 2yrs. Kerry was not on the Gridley very long.

Unfortunate quirk of fate that he ended up where he did, maybe? I wonder if Kerry's detailer could be located?

Check out http://home.nycap.rr.com/pwcarter and see what the XO and shipmates on the Gridley have to say. Needless to say ...he lied.

(fixed the link)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: