SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seeking info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: seeking info Reply with quote

I would like to know what river was Kerry in when the Rassmann rescue took place, and is there a specific location that I can view on a map?
gkdechow
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay Hap River just below theDong Cung canal
skipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.
I'm constructing a time line of Kerry's 3.5 months in Vietnam with emphasis on major incidents and all evidence appropriate to each occurrance, specifically those related to his 5 medals.
Any evidence you have that contradicts the media's support of his record of valor would be appreciated.
For example: Antimedia reports that Kerry received his 1st purple heart on 12/2/68, but his own diary entry of 12/11/68 states that he has not yet experienced any enemy fire. I don't have a copy of his diary entry, but I am searching for it today.
Thanks again for your info

Ted
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diary is not public. It's one of the things we're demanding release of. All references to it come primarily from Tour of Duty.

Here's a link to the Chart of the area where most of Kerry in-country activities took place. Other areas can be found at the same site.

http://www.rjsmith.com/IV-Corps-delta-02-south.html

Tom
skipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: seeking more info Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response. I'm trying to verify the swiftvets statement that the Rassmann rescue occurred at a place in the Bay Hap river that was about 100 yards wide. That being true they also say that the 3 remaining boats lingered to help the damaged boat for almost 90 minutes, making them literally sitting ducks if indeed small arms fire was coming from both river banks. I'm trying to gather irrefutable evidence to contradict Mr. Rassmann's assertiions. If I can material get this kind of proof, I intend to send it to all talking heads, and especially Bill O'Reilly who has, in my mind, been the biggest disappointment in the search for the truth.

Thanks again,

Ted
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking more info Reply with quote

skipper wrote:
Thanks for your quick response. I'm trying to verify the swiftvets statement that the Rassmann rescue occurred at a place in the Bay Hap river that was about 100 yards wide. That being true they also say that the 3 remaining boats lingered to help the damaged boat for almost 90 minutes, making them literally sitting ducks if indeed small arms fire was coming from both river banks. I'm trying to gather irrefutable evidence to contradict Mr. Rassmann's assertiions. If I can material get this kind of proof, I intend to send it to all talking heads, and especially Bill O'Reilly who has, in my mind, been the biggest disappointment in the search for the truth.

While running you're calculations regarding the speed of Swiftboats, please note. The figures on the Navy Contract as supplied by Sewart Seacraft, Berwick,La. were "pie in the sky". I've seen several timelines that are using 32 knots, top speed. No WAY!!! Aside from having 30+ years of Oil Field Crew Boat experience with the exact same hulls with 12V71 Detroits, my closest friend was the Rigging Superintendent at Sewart when all the Swiftboats were built. I know how the governors were "tweaked" to reach the Navy contract speed figures. For Vietnam "field" figures, I would use 22 knots top speed-6-man crew and reduce to 16 knots with a load of RVN forces. Reduce by Ratio for all figures below full throttle accordingly. Also, from many years of bouncing over head seas in the Gulf of Mexico, the sea state affects these hulls tremendously. In the river, the last boat in a group would have its speed affected by the wakes of forward units. Also following vessels are more prone to hit logs and debris sucked up off the bottom by the props of leading vessels. Bent Props will half the speeds.
Swiftboat Specifications:
http://swiftboats.net/extras/boat_specifications.htm
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Audio available? Reply with quote

Someone told me that there is an available audio of the radio transmissions of that event - someone like Larry King played it in an interview recently. Even sounds like mortar and machine gun fire in the background. Is this true?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: