SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Thurman's signing 180 shed any light?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fdsafdsa
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Will Thurman's signing 180 shed any light? Reply with quote

First of all, I thank all of you for your service to this country. Having only been born in 1968 (on September 11th, by the way), I haven't known much about the Vietnam War, so this has been a great learning experience. I never knew there were swiftboats or that the Navy even took an active role inside Vietnam. There seems to be so many stories that still need to be told - truthfully, of course.

I have read both the swiftvet website and the Kerry website. I noticed the gaps in his FIT records before I had read anything else about it and noticed that an "Excellent" rating actually means average (by the definition listed on the form). I then found a great link from this site that actually interpreted his FIT records and showed many other gaps in his record which I hadn't noticed.

I read the Thurman press release. He is not backing down from his claims of no enemy fire and stated he will sign the 180. What I would like to know is this: Will Thurman's release of his records show who's after action report was used to award him his medal? Do you think this may show irrefutable proof Kerry wrote the report or that it will only show language consistent with the report used to award Kerry his medal? In otherwords, will this in any way prove he lied to get his medal?
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

I think you're referring actually to Larry Thurlow.

That's ok, welcome aboard!
fdsafdsa
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: You are correct. Reply with quote

It is Thurlow. I was in a hurry leaving work when I wrote the post. My mistake.

Does anyone know if Thurlow signing his 180 will shed any light?
swiftjustice
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is no, there's no assurance that it would speak to the issue.

To me, it's more of a principle thing. After all, probably none of us really wants to have every blessed thing in our official records, wherever and whatever they may be, open to the public. There's bound to be something embarrassing--we're all human--and there are bound to be things that an enemy could twist. So, probably anyone's file could be used against them somehow...

So, if Thurlow signed the 180, it would open him up to the same kind of scrutiny, and would take away from the argument that refusing to sign the 180 isn't about being ashamed or having a bad record, it's just about not wanting to leave yourself open to unscrupulous sorts. The playing field might seem more even.

For that reason, I think it'd be a good idea, and it'd be better not to wait for Kerry, since until it's done, someone can always claim that Thurlow would just back out once he got Kerry to do it, and therefore Kerry shouldn't. Holding out just gives the whole "don't do it because some jackass is gonna use it to screw me" argument more credibility, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: