SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virus Attack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Virus Attack? Reply with quote

Since I joined this forum I have had a blizzard of virus messages. Thank God for Norton!

They all come from ma-marthasvineyard1c-138.albyny.adelphia.net.

Gee, Martha's Vinyard. Isn't that ehere the Democrats get all that bad wine they must be drinking to think the way they do?

Anyone else having this kind of problem?

Sam
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Remove the tin foil beanie. You'll be fine.
mudderfudder77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me... I be virus free. All you newbies not to worry, I seriously doubt that anything nefarious is coming from this site. What you're talking about is probably stored on your PC.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good geedunk stuff, I'm thinking.

However, apropos of the topic of the thread, tomorrow is slated to be the beginning of e-Jihad, the Mother of All Internet Meltdowns.

So back up your email folder offline. You can follow the details on the Internet Storm Center (google for it, you'll find it).
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
lunr99
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since joining this site, I too have received several e-mails from "System Administrator"
E'mails that I've never sent in the first place.
Here is one header for example:

e-mail addy: 16@cherrypoint.usmc.mil
Received: from gate25-quantico.nmci.usmc.mil (gate25-quantico.nmci.usmc.mil [138.162.128.55])
the attachment was called "your document"

and another:

wallace@drum.army.mil
Received: from DRUMWN01PA01001.drum.army.mil (drumwn01pa01001.drum.army.mil [155.215.60.81])
the attachement was called "your information"

Since I also have Norton2004 and constantly update, the attachments were removed.
No viruses here, but where are these e-mails coming from?

I would like to go into my profile no this site and change my e-mail addy - to my hotmail one.

Board Monitor - site administror - PLEASE make the necessary changes to we can do this.
I think once we sign, we should be able to go back in our profile and put in an e-mail addy of our chosing.

Thank you.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is click on "Profile" at the top of the page and you can change your email, hide it, set all your preferences as you want them to be. Smile

Hope that helps?
Brody
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a www.mail.com account, for this board, and all others. Haven't received any e-mails at all. Perhaps mail.com screens for viruses.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunr99 wrote:
Since joining this site, I too have received several e-mails from "System Administrator"

Received: from gate25-quantico.nmci.usmc.mil (gate25-quantico.nmci.usmc.mil [138.162.128.55])

and another:

wallace@drum.army.mil
Received: from DRUMWN01PA01001.drum.army.mil (drumwn01pa01001.drum.army.mil [155.215.60.81])

Since I also have Norton2004 and constantly update, the attachments were removed.

Thank you.

Do you have your email address hidden?

I can suggest that someone could be "mining" the public email addresses in people's profiles and then doing all sorts of nefarious things. Evil or Very Mad

I have been a user for months, keep my email private, and have not had any increases in the usual level of junk mail that I receive.

-- FDL
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
Nope.

Remove the tin foil beanie. You'll be fine.

That tin foil beanie is all that keeps me in contact with the mother ship, you fool. If I took it off I would die. Are you working for the evil Zorgon?

I'll keep my beanie and make my email address less public.

Geeez! Now I don't know if I am one of the "old guys" or one of the "newbies".

Do the Swifties have a human relations coach on board?

Sam
NashvilleGuy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(domain name intentionally changed to xxx by me. Also note that everything I mentioned involves no more than a quick search of the internet, not a hack of the users computer.)

I looked at your profile, and there is an active website attached to your email address which means it is probably your valid email address. I found that out by going to www,xxx.com, where xxx.com is everything after your name@ in the email address. With a valid email address, I can pretty much send you whatever I want to, as well as work to figure out who you might be (especially if you work at the site the email address is from). I am not sure with this version of phpBB if you can restrict viewing of profiles to registered members only, but that would help. The best thing, as stated earlier by Navy_Navy_Navy is never to allow your email address to be viewed publically.

There is absolutely nothing new here. It happens all the time, especially if you make your email addy available for public viewing. NEVER allow your real email address to be viewed publicly. Anyone can do this type of thing, and it is primarily used as a method to send spam.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Smile
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
lunr99 wrote:

and another:

wallace@drum.army.mil

Thank you.

Do you have your email address hidden?

I can suggest that someone could be "mining" the public email addresses in people's profiles and then doing all sorts of nefarious things. Evil or Very Mad

I have been a user for months, keep my email private, and have not had any increases in the usual level of junk mail that I receive.

-- FDL

Just as likely it can be explained by the following - Many of the new viruses spread tehemselves by going to the address book of the infected computer and borrowing the addresses in it, and then uses the addresses to mail out copies of itself under "false flags".
It means that some one of our 4500 registered members has a virus, or has been in contact with someone else who has.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
LubyStarling
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: virus Reply with quote

Norton gets my viruses but I often get a deluge of junkmail which I empty daily. In the emantime I smile when I think of all the aids virus liberal terrorists are passing among themselves. LC
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can suggest that someone could be "mining" the public email addresses in people's profiles and then doing all sorts of nefarious things.

yeah, they have programs that just crawl the web looking for e-mail addresses on every site, all day, over and over. I doubt this site has anything to do with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: