SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't mention Kerry's name in 527 ads?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccwebb
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Can't mention Kerry's name in 527 ads? Reply with quote

I believe I am correct in stating that starting September 3rd all 527s can continue to advertise but they can not mention a candidates name.

There goes another part of free speech.

Anyway, is there any public info on what (and how) the swiftvets intend to run TV spots with that restriction in mind?

Charlie
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very complicated, but it has something to do with who funds the ad through the 527's - different rules for individuals vs. corporations, etc.

This campaign finance reform is working REALLY WELL, hm? Wink
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't say anything about showing his picture does it??? Smile
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can we go to get the official rules concerning running ads after September 2 ? Can somebody do the research on that? I would like to put a copy of it on my hard drive. I have been checking into the prices of newspaper ads in my hometown and am considering running some.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
RocketFett
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no biggie. Like was said above me, just show his pic, and say, "this is the truth about the democrat candidate for President, so on and so forth". I wonder when it will dawn on John McCain that he was used as a political whore by the democrats to get CFR passed. I am convinced that they had planned nearly four years ago that when they got it, they would immediately use it to funnell millions of dollars into groups like moveon.org and other radical liberal anti-Bush 527s, and let them have free reign under their deliberately placed loop hole allowing them to do what they do with no consequence and no oversight to see if what they say is actually true or not. Thank you mr. McCain for renting yourself out so cheap. Bravo. The democrats used you well.
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find any .... yet. Perhaps someone else will.

Saw this in an article on Foxnews.com

Quote:
Presumably, the organization will need to adjust its ads after Sept. 3, when MoveOn.org and other 527s are prohibited by campaign finance laws from mentioning candidates' names in their ads.

taz
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure sbvft is well aware of the 527 laws and have planned everything out accordingly.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: New Ad Reply with quote

So, if a SBVT ad after September 3 shows a radical anti-war mophead before the Senate, will younger viewers know that it was John Kerry? We might have some "splainin'" to do...
thegunnerswife
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will all work out...... I agree with Taz!
mudderfudder77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several restrictions, but if a 527 does not accept corporate donations (the Swifties does not) or if it is a regitered PAC (like Moveon.org) then it can continue to run ads without restrictions regardless of the Sept 2 date. Also a private citizen acting on his own behalf can run an ad regardless of restrictions placed on 527's, but has to be very careful about the content of that ad. Without the benfit of counsel it can be very dangerous to run an ad disparaging a candidate, you'd possibly open yourself up to a host of lawsuits, depending on the content of the ad.
Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, if the 527 is a corporation they can't have ads that promote the defeat of someone running for Federal office.

If they are not a coprporation, they can't do that with Corporate or Union money.

Most 527s, like Moveon.org, are set up as a Corp and have another entity that is not. They track Corporate/Union money vs individual money differently.
Top 10 Weasels.com is where Kerry is Weasel #1
Hans Burkhardt
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a quick search, this is the best I could find.

Restrictions on Electioneering Communications: The bill prohibits corporations, trade associations, and labor organizations from financing "electioneering communications" within 60 days of a general election and 30 days of a primary election using "treasury money." An electioneering communication is one that refers to a clearly identified federal candidate and is targeted to the candidate's state or district. (A corporation's, trade association's or union's PAC may still run or finance such ads because its funds are, by definition, hard money). This provision also would require non-corporate or non-union persons or entities that spend in excess of $10,000 on electioneering communications during a calendar year to file disclosure reports listing the person(s) making or controlling the disbursements and the custodian of the records, all contributors who gave more than $1,000 to finance the communications, and those to whom disbursements of more than $200 have been made.

Found at this website: http://www.brook.edu/dybdocroot/gs/cf/headlines/FinalApproval.htm
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why not make a documentary movie after September 2nd. No laws against that is there? Unfit for Command, the movie, narrated by John Oneill with additional information from swiftvets.com
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just start refering to him as the "Boston Strangler"
mudderfudder77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftVets don't have anything to worry about, they are exempt from the restrictions against 527 groups. They do not except money from Unions or corporations therefore they do not have to stop airing ads after Sept 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: