SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scandal erupts over Kerry funding of anti-SwiftVets postings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Scandal erupts over Kerry funding of anti-SwiftVets postings Reply with quote

Wed 26 July, 2004 14:41

LONDON (Reuters)

A scandal has erupted over U.S. Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's funding of postings on the Vietnam Swift Vets website.

A hacker, discovering a way to reveal the identity of a group of frequent anti-SwiftVet posters to the site, shared this information with other authorities, who traced payment by the Kerry campaign to these individuals.

"They were paid to disrupt the discussions on the board, impugn the motives and reputations of the board's foundational members, and spread disinformation about the Swift Boat commander's reasons for rejecting Kerry as a valid presidential candidate", said the hacker.

The Kerry campaign refuses to respond to these charges, saying that the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth site was founded by "a bunch of drunks, war criminals, and has-beens intent on self-aggrandizement and right-wing imperialism. They forget that Mr. Kerry served in Vietnam."
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever and amusing. Nobody paid me and nobody asked me to come here. It's probably the same with the others.

We've got plenty of reasons to counter the smears besides a paycheck. Moral outrage, for starters. And a strong distaste for creepy and emotionally unbalanced wingnut whackos.
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
Clever and amusing. Nobody paid me and nobody asked me to come here. It's probably the same with the others.

We've got plenty of reasons to counter the smears besides a paycheck. Moral outrage, for starters. And a strong distaste for creepy and emotionally unbalanced wingnut whackos.

Sparky.. this is not directed at you or anyone in particular... you just happened to be the trigger...

There has been a significant serving of acrimonious discourse on both sides of the issue, but I have noticed a trend in the pro-Kerry posts to focus on attacks vs facts. To be fair, this also is occurring in significant quantity in the anti-Kerry posts, with personal attacks surfacing on each side.

Folks who have provided facts and links to support their assertions have been helpful to me. Neither of these men is perfect... and I would bet none of us are either. However, there are specific aspects of each that disqualify them in the minds of some folks.

For example, many who write here will never vote for Kerry because of his post-Vietnam service activities, and nothing anyone says will change that; while others will never vote for Bush because of his stand on stem cell research.

Throwing flames back and forth will change nothing and will only help to contribute to the divide that is forming in this country, a divide that the terrorists are counting on.

For those who are still undecided or who are soft in their support for a particular candidate, personal attacks will do nothing to change their minds.

I'll get off my soapbox in a second, but I hope and pray that we can have an intelligent debate on the facts, acknowledging the intense emotions on both sides, and not lower the discussion to name calling and troll-like behavior.

Keith
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

Sparky,

I pray for the sake of U.S. politics, and for the sake of some of the posters here, that my "article" was just that - a funny spoof - and only that.

Best,

FDL
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't for a minute believe Sparky is a paid Kerry assassin. That would be a terrible waste of money. Laughing
Craig

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scandal erupts over Kerry funding of anti-SwiftVets post Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:

LONDON (Reuters)

A scandal has erupted over U.S. Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's funding of postings on the Vietnam Swift Vets website.

A hacker, discovering a way to reveal the identity of a group of frequent anti-SwiftVet posters to the site, shared this information with other authorities, who traced payment by the Kerry campaign to these individuals.

"They were paid to disrupt the discussions on the board, impugn the motives and reputations of the board's foundational members, and spread disinformation about the Swift Boat commander's reasons for rejecting Kerry as a valid presidential candidate", said the hacker.

The Kerry campaign refuses to respond to these charges, saying that the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth site was founded by "a bunch of drunks, war criminals, and has-beens intent on self-aggrandizement and right-wing imperialism. They forget that Mr. Kerry served in Vietnam."

Interesting article. No link and no names. Nothing in a google search and nothing at Reuters site. But maybe you just got a way early edition and are not just trying to sow some evil seed through lies and deceit as has been common enough - worked on McCain so may as well use same tactics on Kerry.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scandal erupts over Kerry funding of anti-SwiftVets post Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Interesting article. No link and no names. Nothing in a google search and nothing at Reuters site. But maybe you just got a way early edition and are not just trying to sow some evil seed through lies and deceit as has been common enough - worked on McCain so may as well use same tactics on Kerry.

Hey, FDL,

Be sure to add a big red SATIRE sign, next time.

Wink
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy did you stir up the the Kerry spinners on that one, hey demodumbies read his last post it was a spoof for laughs. Just goes to show you how eager they are to attack rather than defend with intellegence, sorry but the group hug thing won't work. OOPS I didn't mean to put intellegence in the same frame with the Kerry losers.
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scandal erupts over Kerry funding of anti-SwiftVets post Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:

LONDON (Reuters)

Gullibility, thy name is "Any Kerry Supporter."

Or Craig... whichever.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
I don't for a minute believe Sparky is a paid Kerry assassin. That would be a terrible waste of money. Laughing

No kidding. For a few bucks, a much more competent individual could be had.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scandal erupts over Kerry funding of anti-SwiftVets post Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Interesting article. No link and no names. Nothing in a google search and nothing at Reuters site.

.............................................................................................
Craig

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Keith"]
sparky wrote:

snip

I'll get off my soapbox in a second, but I hope and pray that we can have an intelligent debate on the facts, acknowledging the intense emotions on both sides, and not lower the discussion to name calling and troll-like behavior.

Keith

Intelligent debate?
Tried that.
I can't say that I have intense emotions over the affair.
Is funny about you mention troll. This site quickly impressed me as being much of a troll. I guess there is a couple Republican leaning posters who seem capable of rational discussion but for the most part not. Look at the response to Nolan.
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Intelligent debate?
Tried that.
Is funny about you mention troll. This site quickly impressed me as being much of a troll. I guess there is a couple Republican leaning posters who seem capable of rational discussion but for the most part not. Look at the response to Nolan.

Figured it was worth a try, even at the risk of flames. Glad at least the flames haven't come (yet).

So far, only one poster has given me the impression that he is a real troll, and he says he left. But everyone else is just really strong in their convictions, which can be a good thing. (Keeping in mind the definition of a troll as someone who really doesn't believe anything he is saying, he just knows how to disrupt a BB by yanking the right chains... used to see it a lot on a Disney newsgroup I frequented years ago.)

I know this is going to sound partisan, and you can choose to believe me or not when I say I'm an Independent and began my research into the candidates with an open mind, but I have been very turned off by the bitterness of some of the current leadership in the Democrat party, especially Gore... I really think losing the last election really hurt him deeply and he needs counseling (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

It's a shame too, because there are some very good people who could lead that party out of it's bitterness. I may not agree with all of his views, but Governor Richardson impresses me as a good man for example.

Mr. Kerry, however, does not. In fact, out of all the candidates in the Democrat primary, the only one that I felt acted with integrity and who followed a core set of beliefs was Joe Lieberman, who I disagree with on many things as well.

Unfortunately, this election is so close, nothing any of us debate really matters... events within weeks of the election are likely to decide who wins.

But... if everyone ones to debate, what the heck, go for it... just don't kill each other. As much as we are different, I bet any one of us would defend the others right to be wrong Wink

Keith
Craig

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Craig wrote:

Intelligent debate?
Tried that.

Figured it was worth a try, even at the risk of flames. Glad at least the flames haven't come (yet).

So far, only one poster has given me the impression that he is a real troll, and he says he left. But everyone else is just really strong in their convictions, which can be a good thing. (Keeping in mind the definition of a troll as someone who really doesn't believe anything he is saying, he just knows how to disrupt a BB by yanking the right chains... used to see it a lot on a Disney newsgroup I frequented years ago.)

I know this is going to sound partisan, and you can choose to believe me or not when I say I'm an Independent and began my research into the candidates with an open mind, but I have been very turned off by the bitterness of some of the current leadership in the Democrat party, especially Gore... I really think losing the last election really hurt him deeply and he needs counseling (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

It's a shame too, because there are some very good people who could lead that party out of it's bitterness. I may not agree with all of his views, but Governor Richardson impresses me as a good man for example.

Mr. Kerry, however, does not. In fact, out of all the candidates in the Democrat primary, the only one that I felt acted with integrity and who followed a core set of beliefs was Joe Lieberman, who I disagree with on many things as well.

Unfortunately, this election is so close, nothing any of us debate really matters... events within weeks of the election are likely to decide who wins.

But... if everyone ones to debate, what the heck, go for it... just don't kill each other. As much as we are different, I bet any one of us would defend the others right to be wrong Wink

Keith

Yea - good try. I respect the peacemakers - I would say 'wannabe' without the usual negative connotations.

Gore? - I dunno. Being a blowhard in itself does not impress me as being more or less competent to a job. I'd usually like his sort sequestered from myself - well, the sort he seems to me.

I guess that I have mentioned a few times that my major concern is Supremes appointments. While I would never like to see it swing too far to the left I would prefer that to overbalanced to the right.
I am horrified at the thought of another Clarence Thomas or two. And that is even though at my age the *$^%&'d up mess that would do would be unlikely to come to great fruition while I am still alive. That is - would not likely to have great effect on me one way or the other.

Hey! How would you like to get into discussion of right wing issue that I favor even though I cannot own guns unless I move to Arizona.

Another is states rights - but when it gets to that issue I do not see that Republicans don't violate much less than them nasty liberals.
But I do see that an individuals rights as an American citizen is number one priority over any States Right.
Hell, I could even allow that a State might have right to not allow a felon to vote in state or below election but have a bit of problem with that electoral college thing and how a state can disallow a citizen from voting in a federal election. - I guess it is all legal and proper. I just do not agree with that.
Brings to mind a claim-to-be cop who is just sure that my being a felon means I cannot vote. When he said that he just marked his self as a liar about being a cop - or if he is a cop he is a very stupid one. - I think there are even one or a few states that let their incarcerated vote. ??

Can't kill each other. Were this CB radio I have given folks directions of where to come to kick my ass. None ever came. I suppose I would not do so now considering responsibilities I have.

Oh well. I can respect your attempt but I think that you do not understand what some folks is about. I suppose too that I could reveal my own take and motives and it would not make a lot of difference.

How about an obscure thing - I am an enabler. The scamps who are in majority in this place are very much what they accuse others.
This place was not set up for rational discussion. It was set up as an attractive troll.
Or do you suppose that it was set up without there being a team with an agenda who are posters that you cannot tell from some folks who are not pissed at Kerry in their own right? - Myself thinks that some of them, were they to perceive how they be exploited, would be pissed at being used so.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: