SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robert E. Lambert speaks...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xleatherneck
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
Whether or not the boats were under fire or not isn't even relevant.

It is relevant.

Whether or not Kerry was under fire is the point that most people associate with this particular event because that is how it was presented to them by Thurlow and others.

If they're mistaken about this point, the showcase point of the event, then they can be mistaken about other things as well.

I wouldn't dismiss it as insignificant.

Look, considering what Kerry did when he came back to the states, I personally don't think he should come anywhere near the White House, but if you're gonna go after somebody's medals, then you best have your act together and your story straight.
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's relevant whether they were under fire. Don't kid yourselves.

Don't over-react, though, into thinking that everyone telling one version is speaking the gospel truth and everyone telling the other is deliberately lying.

I am hugely frustrated, as a trial lawyer, by the way the press handles these witnesses. It's like watching a case about a train wreck being tried in court by kindergarten kids with attention deficit disorder acting as the lawyers.

In contrast to the witnesses presented by the SwiftVets -- whose statements have been unequivocal, clear, and without internal conflicts -- the newer statements trumpeted by the Kerry camp are all mushy as hell. (That's to the Senator's tactical advantage, of course.)

There are lots of things that go to the credibility and weight of a witness' testimony besides his veracity (truthfulness). Opportunity to observe is one. Ability to appreciate what you've observed is another.

Consider Russell's version, for instance. We don't know much about who he is, but taking what the press has reported at face value, he was a PsyOps officer -- not a Swiftee -- and probably worked out of a desk in Saigon most of the time. He sees tracers from twin .50-calibers passing through brush and leaves along the banks. Does he have the experience to reliably tell the difference between that and muzzle flashes from AK-47s?

Rassmann's time in the water, however long it was, is another example.

Lambert -- who I don't think is a Kerry shill -- says, "Well, I sure was under the impression that we were [under fire]." But he's busy helping with the rescue almost immediately. He's expecting enemy fire -- everyone did in a possible ambush situation. So whose testimony -- completely apart from veracity (intent to be truthful) -- is entitled to more weight: His, or Odell's, whose whole job it was to look for VC to shoot back at and who had the best viewpoint of the scene?

My point is that there are all kinds of ways that skilled questioners could develop all the additional contextual facts one would need to make a reasoned judgment about who to believe, to the extent there is a direct conflict in the testimony.

And even if there's still a swearing match when you've gotten all the contextual information a good advocate would develop in a courtroom setting, there's still the question of showing who's almost certainly exaggerating, or telling an improbable story, even if they're not deliberately lying. The whole "5000 meters of fire" limb that Kerry's climbed out on can be sawn off even if one believes, after hearing everyone else, that there may have been some small arms fire from the shore near the weir at some point.

Kerry pulling Rassmann out of the water five minutes after all the shooting has stopped is about like pulling Licorice the Unlucky Hamster out of the water for his daughters many years later. It's not Bronze Star valor.

Believe me, folks, O'Neill intuitively understands all this stuff. I'm sure he's twice as frustrated as I am, watching with a courtroom lawyer's eye from the sidelines. But he's known for months, as he's plotted out the strategy for this whole campaign, that there'd be "adverse witnesses" who, much as he'd like to, he may never get to pin down. He may yet have ideas we haven't seen or thought of for how to compensate for the media's inability to ask a decent question.

The SwiftVets' supporters owe it to them to be patient and calm, not to overreact, not to point the "liar!' finger prematurely. Let's see how it plays out.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good grief! My brain's gonna explode trying to figure this out! so many different versions! I figure there was no enemy fire.... Kerry, Rassman etc heard the fire from the other boats... afterall he took off (chicken) and left the other boats to fend for themselves and the mined boat... if there was enemy fire, why didn't chicken little stay and fire back... and help protect the injured boat???? so it comes down to Kerry lied when he said the other boats fled and he stayed (liar, liar pants on fire)... that makes him a REAL HERO... AND LEADER - RIGHT? so, even leaving out the lying about the medals/ PH... he lied about fleeing and Cambodia... that's 2 lies there... Brit Hume showed wording from Kerry saying he remembered the day MLK died - April 1968 because he was in Vietnam etc, etc.... then Brit commented that Kerry didn't get to Vietnam until Nov 1968. (unless that was on a prev tour to Vietnam) - so thet's 3 lies... I heard / saw 2 lies the week after his convention... so he's still at it (actually, I've heard way more than those 2.... like everytime he says Bush is behind the swiftvets.... ) John Gibson (fox - 'my word') had guest on (actually heather did the interview) with a Col ???? Ray - regarding how medals are awarded.... and he commented (obviously not a Kerry suppporter) that no real leader would leave his boat and men after 3 such minor injuries anyway and set such a bad example.... and commented about all the really injured men he knew there that just couldn't wait to get better enough to get back to their units ... knowing how shorthanded they were and that they were needed by the men left behind.... republicans on talk shows really do need to tun up the volume on Kerry being a Liar, Liar, Liar ! and I think I heard that he has even agreed that he was wrong on the Sampan deal.... he LIED when he wrote up that report! oos, that's 4 lies! plus the 2 I heard makes 6 lies and they keep adding up!
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beldar wrote:
Yeah, it's relevant whether they were under fire. Don't kid yourselves.

Don't over-react, though, into thinking that everyone telling one version is speaking the gospel truth and everyone telling the other is deliberately lying.

Relevant to honor but it may be UNDECIDEABLE in this particular argument....

Beldar wrote:

I am hugely frustrated, as a trial lawyer, by the way the press handles these witnesses. It's like watching a case about a train wreck being tried in court by kindergarten kids with attention deficit disorder acting as the lawyers.

You and me both -- I am a technical guy who teaches accelerated training to technical people and it drives me nuts that mostly our supporters AND our opponents in the press have the legal, military, logic, and science skills of an earthworm.

Explaining "color vision" to an earthworm is a losing proposition since it lacks the SENSORY APPARATUS.

Beldar wrote:

In contrast to the witnesses presented by the SwiftVets -- whose statements have been unequivocal, clear, and without internal conflicts -- the newer statements trumpeted by the Kerry camp are all mushy as hell. (That's to the Senator's tactical advantage, of course.)

There are lots of things that go to the credibility and weight of a witness' testimony besides his veracity (truthfulness). Opportunity to observe is one. Ability to appreciate what you've observed is another.

Like O'Dell's "I was 14' above the water line, with a 360 degree view" while Rassmann was swimming underwater, bobbing around, and trying not to drown.

I honestly believe that he even convinced Rassmann in that moment because when the talk show host asked Rassmann a direct and pointed question in reference to O'Dell's statement Rassmann pleaded "35 year old memory fails".

Since then he has disappared from unscripted press conferences and talk shows. He will NOT debate a Swiftee...

Beldar wrote:

Consider Russell's version, for instance. We don't know much about who he is, but taking what the press has reported at face value, he was a PsyOps officer -- not a Swiftee -- and probably worked out of a desk in Saigon most of the time. He sees tracers from twin .50-calibers passing through brush and leaves along the banks. Does he have the experience to reliably tell the difference between that and muzzle flashes from AK-47s?

Rassmann's time in the water, however long it was, is another example.

Lambert -- who I don't think is a Kerry shill -- says, "Well, I sure was under the impression that we were [under fire]." But he's busy helping with the rescue almost immediately. He's expecting enemy fire -- everyone did in a possible ambush situation. So whose testimony -- completely apart from veracity (intent to be truthful) -- is entitled to more weight: His, or Odell's, whose whole job it was to look for VC to shoot back at and who had the best viewpoint of the scene?

My point is that there are all kinds of ways that skilled questioners could develop all the additional contextual facts one would need to make a reasoned judgment about who to believe, to the extent there is a direct conflict in the testimony.

And even if there's still a swearing match when you've gotten all the contextual information a good advocate would develop in a courtroom setting, there's still the question of showing who's almost certainly exaggerating, or telling an improbable story, even if they're not deliberately lying. The whole "5000 meters of fire" limb that Kerry's climbed out on can be sawn off even if one believes, after hearing everyone else, that there may have been some small arms fire from the shore near the weir at some point.

Which is the reason (presumably) the Kerry campaign crew and Rassmann will not appear alone on TV in an unscripted venue -- Kerry sends political operatives like Hurley instead.

People who don't know the facts and are willing to either lie or spin when caught in a trap.

My guess is that the campaign crew will NOT tell a material lie for Kerry even though they generally believe in him.

Beldar wrote:

Kerry pulling Rassmann out of the water five minutes after all the shooting has stopped is about like pulling Licorice the Unlucky Hamster out of the water for his daughters many years later. It's not Bronze Star valor.

Actually Kerry was MORE valorious with the Hamster -- that day he had to actually GET WET.

Beldar wrote:

Believe me, folks, O'Neill intuitively understands all this stuff. I'm sure he's twice as frustrated as I am, watching with a courtroom lawyer's eye from the sidelines. But he's known for months, as he's plotted out the strategy for this whole campaign, that there'd be "adverse witnesses" who, much as he'd like to, he may never get to pin down. He may yet have ideas we haven't seen or thought of for how to compensate for the media's inability to ask a decent question.

I believe that, and hope he plotted DEEP ENOUGH.

I also hope he setup the team with S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4, S-5, and Psyops and did so in depth.

He even needs to consider bus accidents or someone getting sick and needing another to step in.

Attorney Ginsberg is another amazing guy -- heard him on a talk show but he is NOT a Swiftee.

The senior members are not lawyers or public speakers -- not a criticism, just an observation.

I wish they would let me help with that -- I am a public speaker and can train anyone to improve radically in a short time.

Beldar wrote:

The SwiftVets' supporters owe it to them to be patient and calm, not to overreact, not to point the "liar!' finger prematurely. Let's see how it plays out.

Which "liar" finger? At who?

PM if I am out of line.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Polaris' version is likely very accurate as to what happened. A couple or 3 VC in a pit waited, using the weir as a choke point/steering aid to lead the 3 boat onto their mine, detonated it, and fired some rounds as they bugged out (maybe hitting a couple of boats in the process). Kerry saw the mine go off, went to full throttle, caught Rassmann by surprise, and he fell overboard. Kerry ran off down the river, the other boats poured out suppressive fire until they noticed there was no return fire, then started a salvage operation on the 3 boat. Once the fire died down, Kerry turned and made a run back up to the other boats, spotted Rassmann in the water (almost drown, I'm still convinced), and picked him up. Later, Kerry offered to write up the spot report to cover his questionable actions, and embellished it to get another medal and a ticket home, before his precious ass really got hurt. Does that all add up pretty well?
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
good grief! My brain's gonna explode trying to figure this out! so many different versions! I figure there was no enemy fire.... Kerry, Rassman etc heard the fire from the other boats... afterall he took off (chicken) and left the other boats to fend for themselves and the mined boat... if there was enemy fire, why didn't chicken little stay and fire back... and help protect the injured boat????

Personally I don't believe the "chicken" -- I even refrain from using the word "fled" when reminding people that Kerry's story has been "all the other boats FLED", no many left behind, yada-yada-yada....

Sandusky, Kerry's pilot (do Swiftees say pilot or boat driver?) that day, OUTED KERRY when he explained WHY Kerry's boat was the only one to leave.

Sandusky claims that he was driving and that he accelerated to clear the narrow channel opening and the kill zone so that the following boat could too.

Had their BEEN any serious fire this might have been a big deal and an important maneuver -- comparable to all the gunners lighting up the fifties without waiting for an ambush that never materialized.

Rule of ambushes: You MUST make those ambushing PUT DOWN THEIR HEADS or you MUST CLEAR THE KILL ZONE.

I actually believe Sandusky. But that sure doesn't excuse Kerry lying about the other boats, accusing them of what HE DID (even IF for good reasons.)

Stevie wrote:

so it comes down to Kerry lied when he said the other boats fled and he stayed (liar, liar pants on fire)... that makes him a REAL HERO... AND LEADER - RIGHT? so, even leaving out the lying about the medals/ PH... he lied about fleeing and Cambodia... that's 2 lies there... Brit Hume showed wording from Kerry saying he remembered the day MLK died - April 1968 because he was in Vietnam etc, etc.... then Brit commented that Kerry didn't get to Vietnam until Nov 1968. (unless that was on a prev tour to Vietnam) - so thet's 3 lies... I heard / saw 2 lies the week after his convention... so he's still at it (actually, I've heard way more than those 2.... like everytime he says Bush is behind the swiftvets.... ) John Gibson (fox - 'my word') had guest on (actually heather did the interview) with a Col ???? Ray - regarding how medals are awarded.... and he commented (obviously not a Kerry suppporter) that no real leader would leave his boat and men after 3 such minor injuries anyway and set such a bad example.... and commented about all the really injured men he knew there that just couldn't wait to get better enough to get back to their units ... knowing how shorthanded they were and that they were needed by the men left behind.... republicans on talk shows really do need to tun up the volume on Kerry being a Liar, Liar, Liar ! and I think I heard that he has even agreed that he was wrong on the Sampan deal.... he LIED when he wrote up that report! oos, that's 4 lies! plus the 2 I heard makes 6 lies and they keep adding up!

Stevie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb,
I don't really understand what you are saying.... but that maybe Kerry's boat wanted to get out of the way so the boat(s) behind them could get thru if needed? so he went 3 miles up/down the river? Would they all leave and not check the mined boat for survivors etc?
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
Herb,
I don't really understand what you are saying.... but that maybe Kerry's boat wanted to get out of the way so the boat(s) behind them could get thru if needed? so he went 3 miles up/down the river? Would they all leave and not check the mined boat for survivors etc?

No, you understand, but when stated that way it sounds goofy.

Quote:
Mr. Sandusky, in defending Mr. Kerry yesterday, called one accusation — that Mr. Kerry exaggerated the circumstances surrounding the rescue of Lt. Rassmann, and in fact fled the scene before turning around and coming back — "a stretch of the truth so far it's a bald-faced lie."
"I had to clear the obstructions to let the boat behind me get out of the way so we could get back over where all the other boats were at. And the firefight started immediately after the three boat got hit," he said. "All the remaining four boats were shooting."

I wish I had access to the press conference video where Sandusky spoke Thursday (8/19/04)-- I was just excited he outed Kerry.

3 miles? If they went that far, they not only couldn't could SEE Rassmann (and Kerry says he looked up and saw him off the stern -- or someone else called man overboard and Kerry SAW HIM then.)

Who calls man overboard after 3 miles? You might go find the skipper and ask WHERE that SF guy is...but by that time you don't even KNOW if he's overboard unless you purposely just bugged out.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
I think Polaris' version is likely very accurate as to what happened. A couple or 3 VC in a pit waited, using the weir as a choke point/steering aid to lead the 3 boat onto their mine, detonated it, and fired some rounds as they bugged out (maybe hitting a couple of boats in the process). Kerry saw the mine go off, went to full throttle, caught Rassmann by surprise, and he fell overboard. Kerry ran off down the river, the other boats poured out suppressive fire until they noticed there was no return fire, then started a salvage operation on the 3 boat. Once the fire died down, Kerry turned and made a run back up to the other boats, spotted Rassmann in the water (almost drown, I'm still convinced), and picked him up. Later, Kerry offered to write up the spot report to cover his questionable actions, and embellished it to get another medal and a ticket home, before his precious ass really got hurt. Does that all add up pretty well?

This is pretty much the way I have it figured. When you weed out the clear misrememberings (I'm trying hard not to impugn Kerry's crew) about mortar rounds ("OK, guys, we'll sit on both sides of the river and lob mortar rounds at each other") and such, and you factor in SOP for VC ambushes, you have the detonation, quick sniper fire, into tunnels to avoid the return fire, bug out a few hundred yards and regroup to fight another day.

I wasn't there but that's the way I've heard those who were describe most ambushes. The idea was not to have a long drawn-out firefight against superior firepower.

Thurlow was dumped into the mud when the 3 boat went aground. It took some time to pick him up, making him a better target than Rassmann (who was doing his best Sponge Bob impression, for which I don't blame him). You would think he might have been hit or at least have seen bullets striking near him.

What I find interesting from Lambert's comments is that he says that there was probably SA fire "because that's the way it always happened." A good reporter would ask him "how long did they usually fire?" My guess is that the firing stopped pretty quickly. Who is going to keep firing when mortars, .50 cals and M-79 grenades are coming at you?

Beldar can opine on the probitive value of the VC acting in conformity with past behavior... Confused
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb asked,

Quote:
Which "liar" finger? At who?

I'm reluctant to brand as a "liar" anyone but Kerry at this point.

With respect to anyone but Kerry, I don't think it's a burden that the SwiftVets need to assume. There are just so many other potential explanations for conflicts in the telling of events.

Kerry and his minions are the team that points the "liar" finger at everyone they dislike. "Liar! Tool! Shill!' Well, they can't ultimately prove that. Just shouting it over and over doesn't convince anyone in the final analysis. It's overplaying one's hand -- never a good thing to do in poker, politics, or the courtroom. It strikes jurors, voters, and fair-minded neutral observers as nastiness; although part of each of us wants to buy into massive conspiracy theories because it makes for high drama and excitement, the better angels of our natures counsel otherwise.

The supporting cast on both sides of this dispute are vets. Every man jack among them is entitled to respect and a presumption of integrity, as far as I'm concerned.

Even the non-vets who lack personal knowledge and are just spinmeisters -- the Lanny Davis/James Carville types -- are better rebutted with some word other than "liar." All they have, by definition, are opinions, usually rendered without much qualification. Even if you think they are engaged in loathsome whoring for their candidate, it's better to calmly point out that they lack personal knowledge as to the facts, and that the American public can make up its own mind whether to agree with their opinions.

When and if all the context has been brought out, and one of Kerry's supporters just absolutely can't be concluded to have been mistaken or confused, then and only then might the SwiftVets have to say, "I'm sorry, but that's just a baldfaced lie."

But my instincts are to hold off on making that charge against anyone but Kerry for as long as possible. I think it's smart tactics, and more fundamentally, I think it's the ethical way to go.

Last edited by Beldar on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to initiate a mechanical ambush against 5 Swift boats that can return fire with 10 .50 cals, 5 M-60's and 5 mortars, plus small arms, you're going to set up in a place where you can see the boats and get some good cover as soon as you trigger the ambush. If not, you're dead quick.
ASPB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points:

There were no main force VC or NVA in the region. It had long been VC controlled and was a base for what they called re-education camps for locals.

There were no VC heavy weapons in the area, only small arms, RPGs, improvised explosive devices (mines), and an occasional 60mm or 82mm Mortar.

I've been in about 50 firefights with VC on the rivers. Of those, Only 3 lasted for more that a minute in terms of incoming fire and often less. 2 of the 3 were against main force VC (battalion strength) and one against NVA (battalion strength). To have 5000 meters of fire from both banks would require at least to 2 main force battalions. There wasn't even one in Cau Mai.

Most ambushes involved 2 to 6 local insurgents with 1 or 2 RPG launchers and the rest with AKs. If a water mine was used it was almost always a Czech or Chinese C-4 improvised devise that was command detonated from spider hole 20 to 30 yards from the shore. Minings often were not accompanied by SA fire. It was often a matter of "push the plunger" and scurry home while we shot up the foliage.

I've been studying the 13 Mar 69 incident through the filter of personal experience for 6 months and have concluded the this was a 1 or 2 spiderhole event. 2 local insurgents with AK's and a current generating plunger wired to an underwater IED. Boom, Pop, Pop, Pop in 5-10 seconds and hurry home for dinner.

VC 1 pushes the plunger. VC 2 may or may not have popped a few caps with a AK. No one on any of the boats would have heard incoming fire after the mine detonation. Once you open up with 50's on one these boats that's "all" you hear, sometimes for as long as an hour. Laughing

I report, you decide.

Tom
gkdechow
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twidget

After hearing all the Recolections and claims over the last 3 weeks I have gravitated toward a version very similat to yours. A "Mad Minute with 10 .50 cals and at least 5 M-60s "cuttin loose" it would be very hard to find or even determine if their was actually any hostile fire. It also might make some think hitting a big floating log seemed like a mine. This was also the time Kerry "fall down bump his arm" which if there was actually any enemy fire might make Kerry's last Purple Heart sort of technecally legal.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkdechow wrote:
This was also the time Kerry "fall down bump his arm" which if there was actually any enemy fire might make Kerry's last Purple Heart sort of technecally legal.

Not at all GK. A contusion is still a bruise. No man I ever met or served with would even consider applying for let alone accepting a PH for a bruise.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
A few points:

Minings often were not accompanied by SA fire. It was often a matter of "push the plunger" and scurry home while we shot up the foliage.

I've been studying the 13 Mar 69 incident through the filter of personal experience for 6 months and have concluded the this was a 1 or 2 spiderhole event. 2 local insurgents with AK's and a current generating plunger wired to an underwater IED. Boom, Pop, Pop, Pop in 5-10 seconds and hurry home for dinner.

VC 1 pushes the plunger. VC 2 may or may not have popped a few caps with a AK. No one on any of the boats would have heard incoming fire after the mine detonation. Once you open up with 50's on one these boats that's "all" you hear, sometimes for as long as an hour. Laughing

Tom

I still find even this much hard to digest. They had been taking firre in earlier operations that day. Three bullet holes explained.

Since the boat was near the shore, having been forced there by the weir, and dead in the water, it would have been the proverbial "barn door" at that distance. As would the other three boats coming alongside.

So, what i'm saying is there is too little evidence, on what would have been the easiest of targets. Even if a shooter missed shooting at a man. The boats would have caught the strays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: