SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transcript: Lisa Myers Interview w/Adm. William Schachte
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While agreeing my being paranoid is true, I think there is another post somewhere tonight that talked about the interview being shown in an edited format on NBC in which the sound bite thing definitely happened.

Ou mainstream media has been thoroughly penetrated by leftists...who like parties with the rich and famous, while pretending to be for the little guy.
beansoup
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldog Meyers, makes Chrissy Mathews, look like a chuwhawha..Under heavy fire, Schachte, came away with the Congressional medal.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Terrific interview, and another feather in the Swifties hat...

"Swiftvet Donation site"
http://swift1.he.net/~swiftvet/index.php
MarkRock
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the edited version of the interview on MSNBC's Scarborough country. I thought Schachte was very credible. Though, since I have read Unfit for Command and tend to believe what the SBVT says is true, I am not representative of the undecided voter who is still trying to disentangle the conflicting stories.
beansoup
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkRock, Let your gut be your guide, as far as deciding that..Seek the truth..and read between the spins, on TV..There are many transcripts out there that are trying to give you the answers..Read between the lines and decide, what seems logical, what is truth, and what makes sense to you...Good luck...

"Swiftvet Donation site"
http://swift1.he.net/~swiftvet/index.php
xcorpsman-usn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:

Furthermore, he refuses to be baited into calling Kerry a liar, much less the enlisted men. He simply says, "Here's the truth. Others can judge what it means."

All in all, a great interview - very believable and very damning to Kerry.

This is a definite victory for the truth.

I Agree, but since this is not a court of law, seems to me testimony by Dr. letson would be integral to the "whole story."
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And he pointed – ‘Look, that's Senator Kerry over there.’ And I said, ‘I know him.’ And he said, ‘You do?’ And I hadn't seen or talked with John since Vietnam. And I guess I embarrassed my friend because I said, ‘Hey, John!’ Just like that. Well, he turned around, looked at me – it's about 20 paces away – and he kind of strolled over to me. And that call sign that night, if I haven't mentioned it, was ‘Batman.’ I think I have. But, John walked over to me and got kind of close and he said, ‘Batman.’ And I was really impressed that he had that degree of recall. And, of course, we exchanged pleasantries. And we were going to do lunch. And, of course, we never did. And that was the last time I've seen him in person or been with him. And that went on. I retired – so on and so forth. And this March, I got a phone call from one of my swift boat colleagues, ‘have you seen Tour of Duty?’ [the book,Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War, by Douglas Brinkley (William Morrow, 2004)]

This puts Kerry out of the "fog of war" realm of experience, because if his memory is that good, how is it that he can "forget" or misrepresent details he finds inconvenient to his personal advancement?

If Kerry remembered Schachte as "Batman" which was the name of the particular mission in question, does that not lend credence to the Admiral's presence on the boat? I quote:

Quote:
Schachte: Yes, and I had to be a part of it. It was my idea. The night in question, we-- as always, the swift boat would tow the skimmer out to the designated area. And we would board the skimmer. This night our call sign was ‘Batman.’ I got into the boat. My weapon was forward – the M-60 machine gun. John got in the boat. I don't remember who the enlisted person was. We then proceeded to the designated area. The swift boat would stay off, sometimes out of sight, sometimes not. But far enough away that they could ride shotgun on the mission.

jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher wrote:
Quote:
I think some of you guys are way too paranoid.

I'm afraid you're right.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Wink
poseidon
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: fog of convenience Reply with quote

Quote:
This puts Kerry out of the "fog of war" realm of experience, because if his memory is that good, how is it that he can "forget" or misrepresent details he finds inconvenient to his personal advancement?

It would be interesting to hear if Kerry remembers this meeting too.

Any bets Wink
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimRobson wrote:
I think I can categorically say that that is the most manipulative interview I have ever read. Evil or Very Mad

I wonder if they have any job openings for interrogators at Gitmo.

She could fill the bill. Laughing

Agreed.
Except that Meyers would be trying to get the terrorists RELEASED.

I saw the interview on NBC News - and noted that they repeated it on MSNBC. They sure are trying to ensure that their spin gets maximum coverage.

She was pathetic. There's no hint of being neutral and letting the viewers decide for themselves.
BenJaxBchFL
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give the Admiral an A+.

Schachte basically painted a picture where Kerry's inexperience in that type of operation was that he fired the M-79 to close to shore after his gun jammed. Most would have realized that they had made a mistake based on the feedback from the experienced officer. Instead Kerry uses the situation to acquire a Purple Heart.

He has no shame in asking for the medal with a bandaid level injury.

This underscores the fact that Kerry had premeditated plans for his tour in Vietnam.
The war against terrorism is not that Americans might die rather that we would alter our way of living. If we get to a point where we choose not to go out because of fear, our economy will sink and in the end so will our nation. Vote Bush.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcorpsman-usn wrote:
I Agree, but since this is not a court of law, seems to me testimony by Dr. letson would be integral to the "whole story."

Actually, Dr. Letson's testimony might be admissable in a court of law as to what he had heard. There are hearsay exceptions for hearsay uttered as part of medical treatment, or as excited utterances regarding a stressful incident.

One thing I just thought of from Letson's testimony which argues against Schacte - Letson says two crew members talked to his enlisted man about no hostile fire. This sounds suspiciously like Runyon and Zaldonis. I had always assumed Schacte was the fourth man in the skimmer.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting issue to research would be determining where Runyon and Zaldonis were assigned on 2 Dec 69 and who's PCF was operating in support of the skimmer mission. I'm assuming that it was Schacte's boat and Kerry was along as a trainee.

For what it's worth, a 15 foot skimmer can easily handle a crew of four. The maximum USCG capacity on the current model is six. The boat is virtually unchanged since the early 1960's

150 Sport
http://www.whaler.com/Rec/default.asp?content=boats&family=legend&number=150&type=Sport

Quote:
SPECIFICATIONS

Specified measurements are approximations and are subject to variance.

LOA: 15' 5" (4.69 m)
Beam: 6' 6" (1.98 m)
Draft: 7" (.17 m)
Weight (dry, no engine): 900 lbs (408 kg)
Maximum Weight: 1400 lbs (635 kg)
Swamped Capacity: 2900 (1315 kg)
Persons Capacity: 6
Maximum HP: 60 hp (44 kw)
Minimum HP: 40 hp (29 kw)
Maximum Engine Weight: 305 lbs (138 kg)
Transom Height: 20" (.50 m)
Fuel Capacity: 6.6 gal (24 L)
Bridge Clearance: 3' 2" (.96 m) with Sun Top: 6' 10" (2.08 m)

We know from "Tour" that Zaldonis was looking for more action as he later volunteered to go with Kerry on the 44 boat to An Thoi with Ted Peck and His 57 boat.

For those that don't know, the core of the crew of PCF-57 (Belodeau, Medeiros, Sandusky, and Thurston) became the crew of PCF-94 when Kerry took over on 30 Jan 69 after Peck was wounded on 29 Jan 69. Alston was also wounded on 29 Jan 69 and didn't return to the boat until about 04 Mar 69 (if then-it's still being reasearched)

Peck and his crew had only taken over the 94 boat on 23 Jan 69 after the "Saigon Meeting" as the 57 boat had gone in for overhall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: