SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Rassmann’s initial contact with Kerry campaign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzuro
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Mr. Rassmann’s initial contact with Kerry campaign Reply with quote

To moderator

If this is not appropriate post, please delete and, if possible, please pass on to someone who has resource to check accuracy. Thank you.

In a Washington Post article, I came across description of Mr. Rassmann’s initial contact with Kerry campaign:

“A vet named Jim Rassmann, a Republican, thumbed through it in an Oregon bookstore, found the part that told how Kerry had saved his life, plucking him from enemy waters, bullets whizzing around them, and nearly burst into tears, right there in the Barnes & Noble. The drama! The reaction for which an author prays! Rassmann, who had had no contact with Kerry since that day in 1969, called the campaign, volunteered to help, and flew to Des Moines. “

The Political Guns Of August Are Firing
Brinkley Wrote About John Kerry's Battles In Vietnam. Now He's Fighting His Own.
By Ann GerhartWashington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, August 28, 2004; Page C01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40110-2004Aug27.html

I am amazed, as it is very different from what I heard on his early interviews.

I remember on one interview, in essence he was telling that he saw, browsed the book “Tour of Duty” at a book store (If I remember correctly, while traveling, but not sure) and found he was mentioned in the book, but did not buy the book. “When I returned home…”, interviewer interrupted at this point and asked him if he contacted Kerry campaign. He replied, “Yes.”

I thought it’s odd that he did not buy the book, if he was so thankful to Mr. Kerry.

Then, in another interview some time later, I saw him answering that Kerry campaign contacted him.
(On Democratic convention stage, he specifically mentioned that nobody asked, he volunteered.)

Now I read the very dramatic description of initial contact. I am a little confused.

The interviews I saw on cable TV (Fox, CNN or MSNBC) were at early stage of his TV appearance. So I guess Dec 03 to beg 04. I hope that someone has resource to check archive of his interviews.

Azzuro
deedee
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the same. He was asked if he had any contact with Kerry prior to Iowa and said that he had tried to call him a few times years ago but his call was never returned. He must have called between campaigns.

The story sounded entirely different even one day later. Wasn't the caucus in Iowa in Jan-Feb? I've noticed the "Band of Brothers" is dressed better than the early days. Why does no one question if they are working for Kerry (duh!) . Amusing too, the claim "You weren't on Kerry's boat" to all the guys for truth but they send out Hurley and others for an attack that were not on the river at all!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this is something that's been odd from the start.

There are at least two versions of how Rassmann came to be involved in the Kerry campaign and that's from just this year.

How many versions of the "No Man Left Behind" story exist, now anyway?
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also odd how all his "band of brothers" is so closely protected from the media. They are scarred to death that if they are asked questions they will give the wrong answers. Wouldnt a debate between Sandusky and Thurlow be good:Smile)) Forget about it. It is never going to happen.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

How many versions of the "No Man Left Behind" story exist, now anyway?

I think we have lost count. No sarcasm. We honestly lost count.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought.

Wonder why all the disparity of versions doesn't seem to be showing up anywhere but the internet and talk radio? Confused
vanman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Rassman very strange coincidence Reply with quote

This post caught my eye because it is something that has been bugging me as well.

I'm not trying to discount the word of Rassman but where would J Kerry be without him? He's become the spokesman for the campaign.

Strange Point 1: A guy has his life saved by a public figure. For over 30 years he never communicates with him. No letter of thanks, no e-mail of thanks, no 'How can I help you with your political career?', no nothing.

Strange Point 2: One day he randomly sees himself as the centerpoint of a major book and doesn't even buy the book. He's obviously a reader - why else was he at Barnes & Noble? (If it had been me I'd have bought 10 copies.)

Strange Point 3: He goes home and makes a random phone call to the Kerry campaign just in time (what a break for Kerry) for the very first primary of the campaign. Just hours before the polls open!

Strange Point 4: Within days he's the focal point of everything good that John Kerry has ever done. He becomes a great public speaker, he has the uncontested answer to questions that Kerry's campaign knew would crop up later, he even gets to fly all over the country with Max Cleland.

Strange Point 5: The best part of it all is that he used to be a Republican but he has now seen the light and has become a Democrat.

You know, J Kerry pulled a hoax on the American people and the American Congress once before back in '71. How does it go -- 'Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me."

I'm not accusing, it just looks funny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: