SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for a coalition
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry M
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: VFW Position on Presidential Candidates Reply with quote

The following is an email I sent to the VFW concerning Kerry as well as their reply. The reply comes first. I also spoke at length to Jerry Newberry, their Communication Director. The bottom line is don't expect any support from the VFW or possibly the American Legion. I have quit my VFW membership as a result of their attitiude about this issue. If they can't take a stand against a traitor, they are not worth belonging to.

The VFW has a long-standing tradition of inviting the sitting president to address our convention. We want to know where he stands on veterans’ affairs, and we want those remarks made in public and on the record. During an election year the invitation is extended to both candidates.

When both candidates appear, it provides VFW delegates the opportunity to listen to each man’s position regarding entitlements, national defense and the current state of the military. The VFW does not endorse a candidate for President. The VFW-PAC gives endorsements for Senate and House of Representatives based on demonstrated support for veteran's rights and a strong national defense. Any information you may have to the contrary is incorrect.

The VFW's 105th National Convention played host to a number of speakers including prominent members of the Cabinet, civic leaders, business leaders and a host of everyday people we honored for their exemplary service. The Voice of Democracy scholarship winner, Eagle Scout of the Year and the Youth Hero were also honored.

Once again thank you for your interest and concern and for the opportunity to respond to you. If you have any questions or need further information, please feel free to contact me.

Jerry Newberry

Director, VFW Communications

Dear Sirs:

I am a Vietnam veteran and retired Marine Corps officer who served two tours of duty in Vietnam. I want to express my very strong feelings that not only is John Kerry unfit to serve as Commander in Chief as many of his fellow swift boat veterans have alleged, he is, more importantly, unworthy. While there is considerable controversy over the questionable manner in which he received a number of his awards in Vietnam, there is no question about his testimony in 1971 in which he slandered his fellow servicemen accusing them of wide spread atrocities even as they were still fighting and dying, his aiding and abetting the enemy by generating propaganda which helped lead to their victory and which was used to torment the POW's in the Hanoi Hilton according to former POW's like Paul Galanti. Kerry was not just an anti-war activist, he was, by his actions, an enemy sympathizer along with many others in the radical VVAW. The Communist regime in Vietnam was so impressed with Kerry's contribution to their cause that a picture of him hangs in a museum in Ho Chi Minh city honoring those who helped them win the war.What would have been the reaction of a WW II veteran coming home and conducting himself as Kerry did while Americans were still fighting and dying in the Pacific and in Europe?

It really infuriated me that the VFW would welcome to their convention a man of so little character and integrity, especially given what he had to say about your very organization when it suited his need to disparage you and all that you stand for. I refer to the following:

Kerry criticized the VFW and American Legion in a 1971 book: "We will not quickly join those who march on Veterans Day waving small flags, calling to memory those thousands who died for the 'greater glory of the United States.' ... We will not readily join the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars," he wrote.

But on Wednesday, Kerry is readily joining the VFW -- as he addresses the group's national convention in Cincinnati

I understand the VFW does not endorse a candidate for President, but when faced with the option of a candidate whose miserable record on defense and intelligence spending and whose despicable activities against the interests of his country and it's men and women in uniform were so blatant, a strong statement repudiating that person's candidacy should be made. You owe that to your membership because of who you are and who you represent. I will not be renewing my membership unless there is a strong statement educating your membership on who John Kerry really is and pointing out his unworthiness to be Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces. If you do not do that, in my judgement you have lost the moral authority to speak for all veterans.

This is not a Democrat/Republican or liberal/conservative issue. It is about doing what is right for our country. I sincerely hope that you will give me reason to renew.
lucky
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: howdy Reply with quote

Jerry it is admirable that you are so fervent in your ideas. These are fine organizations and need support. They have always as the man said invited both candidates and did this time. The reason they have been around as long as they have is because they are apolitical. I can bet they are all talking about Kerry and what he means to them. And if they are anything like the few members I know I can tell you they think he full of it. The leadership at the national levels are always careful and walk a fine line but the local groups I bet are usually more seething.

There is a march planned i saw in washington coming up. I also saw that many vets were going. It seems that this could be the thing ya'll are looking for. Also if others know any other vets from any organization please tell them about the site here. I haver pretty much done all I can do and reached all the people I know.
Support Our Troops!
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how organized the wives of Vietnam POWs are? They seem to have a lot to say about Kerry, but I've yet to see one of them on television.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: xlnt input Reply with quote

Super ideas people, there are a lot of us out there with the fight but without the $ to go much farther than a few tanks of gas. The best shot would be from another angle but I like the idea of being more inclusive. Like "citizens/vets right to know", Im sure there are better slogans but the message should be unfied. There are two sides to a sign that can be used. Another good idea is to find out where the VFW stands,that shouldnt be hard to find out.
Even without the vets, there are court houses , national guard HQ,ect. We would need a time (weekend at noon?) usually a slow news day.
You know some of these nimrods are saying swiftys will go away soon (doubt it) , so I think after the RNC and after the 12th before the polls would hurt kerry the most. the fool needs to sign the 180,and I for one still want to know , what foriegn leaders support his campaign? He said it and I want him to back it up!
Keep the ideas coming cause I think there is enough of us who care and we could give him a warm heartfelt going away present on his way back to Mass.
Dragon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The efforts of the SBVFT have created the firestorm that has Kerry in full retreat on the facts. Their efforts have not only activated the Vietnam Veterans, they have collected the full furor of ALL veterans. I am a USAF Persian Gulf Veteran who flew combat missions in a war that John Kerry, as usual did NOT support. I am absolutely enraged at what Kerry has done to not only his own shipmates, the POW's, and the honor of every Vietnam Veteran - but to all veterans from all wars and all services! His current position on national security and defense will cause irreparable damage to this country and the thought of who he would appoint to key cabinent positions is a truly scary thought.

I do not know the best way to keep attacking this guy tactically, but I do know that the initial strategy of the SBVFT is working, and I will continue to support it with my paltry $100 per week contributions.

I do think that the Swiftees should make it clear that their support is now coming from every branch of every service and ALL veterans. This is not only about Vietnam as some of the talking heads would like us to believe - it is about the question of Kerry's performance (or lack thereof) during four months of 'duty', his disgusting betrayal of our country and the military in 1971 and his constant spinning of his 'heroic record' (i.e., Cambodia) during his time in the U.S. Senate. This man needs to be brought down!

I was a four-ship flight lead, but I know how to be on the wing. "Two's ready" and standing by to do whatever I can to support any and all missions to support the SBVFT in defending this country against all enemies foriegn and domestic. I think we all know that the current threat, embodied in the candidacy of John Kerry, is BOTH.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If various vet groups are reading this, and agree on a coordination of resources, I think the Army SF guys out there could help a lot by compiling all of the information they have on Rassmann and distributing it. Things like: how much combat experience did he have prior to the Kerry mission, did he receive a Purple Heart for that day's action, and if so, why? Did he file an after-actioon report through the Army for that day? (Can we get a copy of it?) What was his record like following the Kerry mission? We may need to ask the guy questions at some point, all of this might come in handy. He's a big part of Kerry's hisstory and his story has a lot of inconsistancies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: