SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Navy disputes Kerry's website medals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: US Navy disputes Kerry's website medals Reply with quote

Here are some exerpts.

Quote:
The Kerry campaign has repeatedly stated that the official naval records prove the truth of Kerry's assertions about his service.

But the official records on Kerry's Web site only add to the confusion. The DD214 form, an official Defense Department document summarizing Kerry's military career posted on johnkerry.com, includes a "Silver Star with combat V."

But according to a U.S. Navy spokesman, "Kerry's record is incorrect. The Navy has never issued a 'combat V' to anyone for a Silver Star."

Naval regulations do not allow for the use of a "combat V" for the Silver Star, the third-highest decoration the Navy awards. None of the other services has ever granted a Silver Star "combat V," either.

Quote:
Fake claims not uncommon

B.G. Burkett, a Vietnam veteran himself, received the highest award the Army gives to a civilian, the Distinguished Civilian Service Award, for his book Stolen Valor. Burkett pored through thousands of military service records, uncovering phony claims of awards and fake claims of military service. "I've run across several claims for Silver Stars with combat V's, but they were all in fake records," he said.

Burkett recently filed a complaint that led last month to the sentencing of Navy Capt. Roger D. Edwards to 115 days in the brig for falsification of his records.

Quote:
94 pages of records unreleased?

Reporting by the Washington Post's Michael Dobbs points out that although the Kerry campaign insists that it has released Kerry's full military records, the Post was only able to get six pages of records under its Freedom of Information Act request out of the "at least a hundred pages" a Naval Personnel Office spokesman called the "full file."

What could that more than 100 pages contain? Questions have been raised about President Bush's drill attendance in the reserves, but Bush received his honorable discharge on schedule. Kerry, who should have been discharged from the Navy about the same time -- July 1, 1972 -- wasn't given the discharge he has on his campaign Web site until July 13, 1978. What delayed the discharge for six years? This raises serious questions about Kerry's performance while in the reserves that are far more potentially damaging than those raised against Bush.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-lips27.html[/quote]

stop kerry
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Kerry's Silver star cannot show a V for valor Reply with quote

Here is another news story that also claims kerry's silver star with a V is not correct

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerry200408271553.asp
Paul
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: How are you? Reply with quote

Hi XSquid:

Thanks for the story and the link.
It's good to see you up and posting.
How are you feeling and how are you doing?
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm felling pretty good really, trying to take it easy for a little while though. My right leg from above the waist to the knee is still bruised from where they went in for the heart cath. I think I'm getting past my initial "scared ----less" stage now. Very Happy Still trying to make some changes though.

Thanks for asking.

MiltonThrasher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Kerry citation 'total mystery' to ex-Navy Sec'y John Lehman Reply with quote

More fraudulent medals revealed.

Former Navy Secretary John Lehman has no idea where a Silver Star citation displayed on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's campaign Web site came from, he said Friday. The citation appears over Lehman's signature.

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it."

Also, Kerry submitted a DD215 on March 12, 2001 to add 4 Bronze Stars to his Vietnam service medal. The US Navy reports that he was only
entitled to 2 of them. The paper trail is being investigated further by the Navy.

When is Kerry going to answer the Swift Boat Veterans Charges?

Go to

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-lips28.html
in his books and speeches. Vote for Bush/Cheney '04. Korean War vet.
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to post this and you beat me to it. Very Happy When will the mainstream media pick up on this stuff?

sore loser
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsquid wrote:
I was just going to post this and you beat me to it. Very Happy When will the mainstream media pick up on this stuff?

Don't know about you guys, but I'm not holding my breath until it happens. Rolling Eyes
Any time. Any place.
CVAN-65 and VA-196
The Big "E" and The Main Battery
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty sarcastic statement. I wish at least fox would pick up on it, then there might be some pressure for the others to run it.

Fox got this one.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,130325,00.html

sore loser wrote:
xsquid wrote:

Don't know about you guys, but I'm not holding my breath until it happens. Rolling Eyes

Paul5388
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one from the Sun Times.
Quote:
Former Navy Secretary John Lehman has no idea where a Silver Star citation displayed on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's campaign Web site came from, he said Friday. The citation appears over Lehman's signature.

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me," he said.

www.usslittlerock.com
Big D
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: 'V' Device Reply with quote

xsquid, my wife just may have solved the 'V' Device problem, when I told her that it was not authorized by the Navy she retorted, "Maybe they pinned it on when Kerry threw his Silver Star over the wall at the Whitehouse." What a hero. Wink
Paul
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Good to hear Reply with quote

"I'm felling pretty good really"

Glad to hear it! The bruise sounds like a drag, but better that bruise than the big right-leg scar guys like to show everyone after by-pass surgeries! he he

Seriously, you "sound" good and it's good to know that you're feeling better.
Covan MI
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As former Province Team Adjutant/XO and Personnel Officer (also served as Ass't District Advisor) I'm pretty sure the"V" (for Valor) Device was used only with Army (Navy/AF) Commendation Medal and Bronze Star for Bravery under Enemy Fire. The Silver Star was always for that, no "V" required. Bravery not under fire earned the Soldiers Medal.

The ARCOM and BS without "V" could be awarded for Meritorious Service or Achievement and in many units (maybe most) you got one of each per tour if you did your job well and kept your nose clean (or not do your job well and kept your nose ...).

As Adj/XO I became an accomplished creative writer. Generally I'd get a msg or call saying write up so and so for such and such an award. If it was for bravery I'd use the spot rpt or after action as the basis. I tried to be truthful and accurate, but I wasn't there. Having been in the field as Ass't Dist Adv helped.
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Good to hear Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

Glad to hear it! The bruise sounds like a drag, but better that bruise than the big right-leg scar guys like to show everyone after by-pass surgeries! he he

Thanks, I do feel better. Not near 100%, but real good. I have went from the "cold slap in the face, wake up to reality" to "I'm getting my confidence back" phase. Let's just hope I don't get too confident.Smile

Yep, they told me they might have to do bypass while they were in there. Fortunately I did not need it.

Quote:
xsquid, my wife just may have solved the 'V' Device problem, when I told her that it was not authorized by the Navy she retorted, "Maybe they pinned it on when Kerry threw his Silver Star over the wall at the Whitehouse." What a hero.

She may have something there. Very Happy

jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Good to hear Reply with quote

xsquid wrote:
Paul wrote:

Thanks, I do feel better. Not near 100%, but real good. I have went from the "cold slap in the face, wake up to reality" to "I'm getting my confidence back" phase. Let's just hope I don't get too confident.Smile

Yep, they told me they might have to do bypass while they were in there. Fortunately I did not need it.

Quote:
xsquid, my wife just may have solved the 'V' Device problem, when I told her that it was not authorized by the Navy she retorted, "Maybe they pinned it on when Kerry threw his Silver Star over the wall at the Whitehouse." What a hero.

She may have something there. Very Happy

Every time I think about that, I get visions of him just throwing some dead guy's medals away, because the fellow "didn't need them any more". Sad
lrhachat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Awards Reply with quote

I checked Kerrys Naval records site. He shows his recommendation of the Bronze Star, eye witness QM1 Sandusky. (does that stand for Quartermaster 1st class, hey old Army guy here) with all the guys onboard why only 1 witness and an lower enlisted one at that when higher ranking enlisted and officers where there Question After all the Lt SF he saved should have been the witness, or Commanders of the other boats.

Second why was the Silver Star recommendation not showen to back up his story so we could see who the witnesses where.

One other question I have is why not show the certificate, instead of a piece of paper with no dates on it Question I can't beleive the Army is the only one who gives out great looking certificates with the picture of the award at the very top.

I agree with the Adj above, awards were given out plenty in some units, ARCOMs for NCOs and MSM for officers, even if the NCO deserved higher. The rule was no MSMs for NCO. I know I was in his spot as a Personnel Senior Sergeant. This was in peace time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: