SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry at the American Legion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregrohlik
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Kerry at the American Legion Reply with quote

Next wednesday Kerry has a speech at the American Legion convention in Nashville. Although it is customary for presidential candidates to remain quiet during the rival party's convention, he will attend this event. What is troubling about that is that he has the perfect out to avoid the speech if he believes he will get a poor or hostile reception. The fact that he is going means that he believes appearing there will strengthen his position.

Some points:

1) Kerry has stuck to his goal of avoiding direct confrontation with the SBVT by addressing Bush as the architect of the movement and a poll at http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/naes/ indicates that his strategy has had some success. His point is that the SBVT group does not speak for the majority of vets, but is a small, fringe group that fronts the Bush campaign.

2) The American Legion is the most well known vets organization in America and most people will be influenced by its members reaction to the Kerry speech next week.

3) Kerry could avoid the speech without a great deal of damage by claiming that he is only respecting the tradition of staying quiet during the Republican convention.

4) The MSM is searching for some kind of dramatic wrapup to the issue that will allow it to discontinue their coverage or switch it to a total attack mode.

Conclusion: It is possible that Kerry will attend that event because he knows in advance that he will receive a response from the Legionaires that he can spin as positive. If that happens, the SBVT movement will be forevermore cast as a fringe movement at odds with the majority of vets.
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he will get a polite reception, but I'd like to see every Legionaire attending hold up a large placard: "SIGN FORM 180"
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be suprised if there were alot more Vets turning their backs on him or out right walking out. The American Legion post my dad belonged to and my mom is still in the Auxillary is made up of mainly of Viet Nam vets. Most of them I have know for 20+ years and they are ready to bite nails right now,
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry will not go if he thinks it might be negative, he saw what happened
at the last meeting with vets and would not want to see that happen
again. There was a lot of action by the media on that one.

I wonder if he is going to go on "meet the press and 60 mins" to tell
the world he is so sorry, start using the Brown Book slime, (I wonder
if there really is a brown book or if they are just trying to worry us)
or both. I think he is going to try something and of course, the guestions
given him will be marshmellows as per usual.

The democrats are having a busy day tomorrow, Hillary and other well
known dems are going to be on the Sunday morning programs, Kerry
on two programs and then the Clintons are throwing a big party. hmmm
Wink
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: american legion Reply with quote

I feel also that if he keeps attacking bush and ignores the vets it will work to his advantage, poeple are stupid, also it would be great if some of the swiftvets could be there next wednesday, that would have an inpact, just read on another site where korean vets were at the dem at perry's home with a letter, protesting his contribution, I could not imagine any vet supporting him, what are they brain dead after the way he treats all vets let alone what he did to vietnam vets, god bless you all, I pray every nite that you group will succeed in him losing then maybe you guys can have some peace, which he has robbed you of all these years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: