SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vets & ACDU Only - Muster Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the Ng, enlisted in the Army in 1973 and spent time at 2nd armored Ft Hood, enlisted records. I then transfered to Presidio of SF in 1975- 1976(Officer Records) I also had the privilege of serving on the funeral team, then I got out of the service an reenlisted in the NG.
I have had the honor to assist in the burial of some of the first MIAs that were returned from Vietnam back in 1975.

The time I spent in records was enough for me to see some people, especially some officers that tried to tout themselves as heros or better than they really were. I have had several officers try to convice me to beef up their records so they could be promoted or assist them in getting medals they didn't deserve. (mysteriously their records ended up in another country) oops! Anyway I beleive Mr. Kerry is the same type of person and would hope that the truth prevails and he doesn't become CIC.

By the way I also was one of the vets that have been spit on due to that lowlife Lt Kerry.
sloopjohn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: help me out.. Reply with quote

just signed on..how do I post who I am as per the instructions..I'll take help from anyone. I was a good soldier,,but these computers do throw me..lol. thanks, john
wetherelld
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vets & ACDU Only - Muster Here! :) Reply with quote

Dave Wetherell "reporting in." I served as OinC mostly aboard the 51 boat from April, 1967, to April, 1968. Our crew and boat began at Cam Rahn Bay but after two months shifted to Chu Lai and later to Cua Viet just south of the DMZ. We finally spent the last six months at An Thoi, so we saw a good chunk of the South Viet Nam coastline and several of the rivers. After attending Destroyer School I was back off the coast as gun boss aboard USS Bausell (DD-845) alternating between the gunline and chasing carriers. I retired from the Navy in 1991 having served in destroyers, minesweepers and amphibs in addition to Swifts.

While I was in Destroyer School, John Kerry became the butt of jokes among those of us who had been in country - although at the time we wouldn't have recognized the name. We heard of "some guy who received minor scratches on nearly back to back patrols, somehow parlayed them into Purple Hearts, and opted to come home in just a few months." Didn't seem like the kind of people we had known on the boats. I had several friends and shipmates who were awarded valid Purple Hearts for significant injuries resulting from documented hostile fire. One took an AK47 round through the abdomen and but for a nearby hospital ship, would have died. Another was pulling men from the water as an ammo dump was exploding off Duc Phau and took a severe shrapnel wound to the head. At Cua Viet we were under North Vietnamese artillery and rocket attack almost daily for nearly two months (being out on patrol was generally safer than sitting around your hootch on your day off). One OinC split his shin open on a tent stake running for the slit trenches at the start of a heavy rocket attack. Although it was technically a Purple Heart injury, he did NOT seek the award - unlike Kerry. Those are the kind of people I remember in Viet Nam.

Likewise, in the year I was in country I NEVER observed or heard discussions about the kinds of atrocities Kerry described on his return from a semester in Viet Nam. We did spend a lot of time treating injuries and illnesses of crewmembers of the junks we boarded. We also delivered food, school supplies and medical supplies to villages that we visited. Now, however, the SWIFTVETS are attacked by the mainstream media, and commentators and columnists like Maureen Dowd, Susan Estren, and the entire staff of the New york Times. The truth doesn't seem to matter. The SWIFTVETS are evil for attempting to correct the "war record" claimed by John Kerry. Well, the SWIFTVETS have my support and I applaud them for the courage to speak out knowing that the reaction from the left, including most of the "main stream" media will be to smear and besmirch them and their motives. I am proud to have served with so many honorable, dedicated and wonderful people both in the Swifts and in our Navy. I am NOT proud that John Kerry wore the same uniform.

Just an old retired Navy guy.
old_sarge
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find my name at the end of my first post.

I retired from the Army as a Staff Sergeant in November, 2001. On active duty I served in Korea, Germany, the Multinational Force and Observers, and a few stateside posts.

I was a mech infantry squad leader in the first Gulf War, D Co. 2/18 Infantry. I also took part in the Golder Pheasant EDRE in Honduras in the late 80s.

Career awards include the CIB, EIB, EFMB, Parachutist's (novice) wings, an MSM, and about a half dozen each of arcoms and aams.
USAFChief
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reporting In Reply with quote

I am an active Air Force Chief Master Sergeant (E9) with over 24 years time in service (entered in 1980). I am currently deployed somewhere in Iraq...

I just want to say "thanks" to the Swift Boat Veterans for speaking out.

I only hope that the general American public uses these ads as a means to wake up and conduct some serious research on the credentials of the Democratic predidential nominee. The more *I* read about him - the more I get scared. There are people out there whose main objective is to kill us. There is no reasoning with them. The only thing we can do is help them toward their goals of martrdom. Fine by me!

Yes, I know there are issues with the current administration's handling of domestic issues and some foreign issues. I don't care! There is a war on - and I feel THAT is the most important issue in this election. We must have a leader who will not "waffle" or "flip-flop"! Our current leader is taking the fight to the enemy - which is the only way we will win. We don't need someone whose war on terrorism will be "sensitive."

Thanks, again, SBVT, for your service to our country, both in Vietnam and now. And thanks to all you Vietnam-era vets who have also sacrificed. I have donated to the SBVT cause and I wish you continued luck as you fight off the hordes. Know that there are a LOT of active duty military with you. We get nervous when we think about getting a new leader and we are counting on all of America to help us keep our current CiC!

USAF Chief
freedomsvoice
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reporting Aboard! Reply with quote

Retired Navy Senior Chief (1979-2000)
Marine Corps SGT (1976-1979) cross-decked and served in the Navy (1979-2000).

To all who served and continue to serve, you wear within you a heart of courage. You honor our nation with your patriotism, and defend it with your blood. I am humbled to be among you and thank you for your protection past, present, and future. Our grandchildren will only know freedom and peace because you dared raise your swords for their defense.

Thank you Brave Warriors for another tomorrow.
detrik heldt
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgot to report in... Reply with quote

IHAVE FOUND THAT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR DO OR ANYONE ELSE DOES TO US, "THE SUN ALWAYS COMES UP IN THE MORNING" Sad
bagpiper wrote:
Guess I was AWOL since I didn't report for duty... Smile

My name is David Lambert, was in the Army '72-'75.
MOS: 32D20 Telecom

Upon enlistment, I was grabbed by the ASA for SIGINT purposes. Graduated from FT. Monmouth NJ and had orders for Quang Tri, 8th RRFS in Sept 72. But, when I got in-country, the 8th was overrun and wasn't 'there' anymore. Was transferred to the 7th RRFS in Ramasan, Thailand...
Was disappointed at the time, since I volunteered for duty in 'Nam. Found out I had a guardian angel...met some guys from the 8th. I would probably be on that Wall (never been) now, if not for my transfer. We didn't ever see any real action with the exception of a few scary times of abject fear (you know the deal, boredom, boredom...bang! ALERT!) and we had to hit the bunkers with M16 in hand. We killed a lot of trees...Wink Evidently we had the 'Thai Cong' out there. I had never heard of this variety of enemy until I got there. Thank God I never got to meet one up close, but then, maybe I did, in bars and Brothels?....Wink

Spent 30 years hating Kerry for what I experienced when I got home, with no outlets. Have never discussed it with anyone. Now there is a place to talk. I have no desire to discuss it with anyone that hasn't 'been there and done that'. God was looking out for me then, and since, I should have been killed at least 3 times, but, I just didn't. Who knows why, not me. I'm firmly convinced, when it's your time, it's your time, and not until.

All I remember of those days WAS buried deeply (getting spit on will do that to you), until this UnHero Kerry drudged it all back up. I've never told any war stories, don't have many, don't care about those that do. I've always considered war stories to be comparable to fishin stories (my daddy was an E8 killed at Li Kie in Dec 68<sp?>, so I joined for payback, I guess.)... but, maybe it's time, that those stories are told. I never killed any babies, I may have abandoned one or two, unknowingly...Wink

The Swifties are doing a good job. The polls show it. I just wish this was happening in OCTOBER... (Bush really upsets me sometimes, but....I'd rather see him and Rummy continuing on with the war, than see that JFnK TRAITOR get the CIC job. If that happens, katy bar the door.)

This site is very theraputic.

DMLambert
ex-SP4 '72'75
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, all newbies, vets and active duty of any service! Smile

We're very glad to have you and thank you for joining us - make yourselves at home and enjoy your visit.

(PS - I haven't heard from anyone in Afghanistan or Iraq who supports Kerry - they ALL ask me for Bush stickers and signs. Wink )
gmshive1
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: SSG US Army 1979-1982, 1984 -1991 Reply with quote

I never did see combat, though I did support our troops during Desert Storm. Growing up during the Vietnam war in the 60's left an indelible mark on my personality. My hero was a true American hero, and I found him in Audie Murphy. The medals that he earned were beautiful in the encyclopedia, with all their color, and the stories of his heroic acts. He was my example, everything I wished to be.

In addition to Audie, I also had 2 additional heroes whom I never knew; my father who served in Vietnam with the US Navy lost both of his brothers at a very early age. His brothers were both killed on the USS Arizona and they were my very own heroes. One was a marine, and the other a sailor. Both were young men, and never had a chance to raise families, or to know what might have been. You can read their names in the marble monument that sits atop the battleship in its resting place today.

My grandmother, who I loved dearly, received from the DOD a small monetary award, the condolences of our nation, and perhaps most importantly our nations greatest honor. She received 2 US flags, and 2 Purple hearts. My brother, also a Vietnam veteran and former sailor, is now the caretaker of these 2 purple hearts. He guards over them, and will not separate them even though I woud like to have one to display with pride. My uncles gave their lives, the ultimate gift to our nation, 2 young men gone forever.

The Purple Heart is much more than a self-inflicted shrapnel injury, where a band-aid can save the day. It is also about our nations way of remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice, those that gave their lives. For John Kerry to have stolen such an honor on at least one of his awards is to have minimized the ultimate sacrifice that my uncles made that fateful day, December 7th, 1941. How dare you John Kerry, how dare you. If you ask me, the reason he applied for these awards was so that he could depart Vietnam early, he got into hell’s kitchen and found the true heat unbearable. Of course, his band of brothers had to stay and carry on the fight for him, while he betrayed them back at home. A normal combat tour was 12 months, not 4.

Respectfully,

Gary Shive
SSG, US Army Evil or Very Mad
harry in yuma
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retired in 1987 USAF, was an air traffic controller most of my career reopened khe sanh in 72 i believe. The fact kerry had anything to do with hanoi jane should make him hated by any one over 50.
Big D
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Still proud to be serving Reply with quote

I join the Army in June of 1971 and served on active duty until August 1982. I also served 6 years in the Active Reserves 1983-1989 and am now finishing my 6th year in the Tennessee National Guard. I did not serve in Vietnam, but did serve in Iraq April 2004 - August 2004.

The efforts of the Swift Vets have inspired me. I have started sending letters to the editors of local papers and have had some success getting them published. I'll post my latest letters for every one to discuss.

I'd like to say that many Vietnam Veterans are returning to serve in Iraq and one I want to mention in particular SGT. Roger Rowe. Roger won't be joining us on this forum as he was killed in action last summer in Iraq at the age of 53. Roger was a true patriot having fought in Vietnam and volunteering to join our National Guard unit to go to Iraq. SGT. Roger Rowe is a true American Hero.
nexialist
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: "Reporting for duty...." :) Reply with quote

My tour of duty was spent in Germany from Aug 67' to Jan 69'. I didn't go to Vietman...I waited for the call which I knew surely would come....it never came.....I'll never know why.

My friends were not the college bound crowd so almost to a man they went to Nam'. 2 of my friends earned the Silver Star. One of them received it over 30 years later. He was point on a nite patrol when they were ambushed. Everyone thought he was a goner when he was airlifted out.

You Swifties are living proof that what goes around comes around. You are Kerry's worst nightmare. It's payback for what Kerry did to us.

You guys were heros then, you are heros now.

Thanks,

Dan Jaramillo (SP4)
B Co, 3d S&T bn
3d Inf Div
Wurzburg, Germany 67 - 69'
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Home fellow Veterans! Your posts and comments are great, and full of meaning for all of us. Get the word out about Kerry, and this site. And of course, "WELCOME HOME!"

War Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
richard dickinson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Checking in Reply with quote

USMC 75-77 Alpha Co 1st btln/5th marines- Camp Margarettaville
No hand to hand other than within our ranks. While in H.S. joined-Air Force wouldn't take me. Joined Marine Corp activated the day after Vietnam ended-per Kissinger. Voluntered to hump M-60-became gunner-beautiful weapon.
Leroy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: U.S.M.C. May 70 - 74 Reply with quote

I joined to become a man. I knew the Marine were first to go. and i did not think i would be excluded. However i did not go to Vietnam.

My heart was with those who did.
MOS.O311 and i was painting walls, cleaning floors and putting wall lockers togeather. I was watching drug deals and related injurys and racial incidents on my free time.

It was not supposed to be like that.

I asked to go to vietnam and they told me i must be nuts.

I thought ,what was better, to get cought in the cross fire of these druggies or racial fights or go over there and possibly keep someone else from becomming a statistic?

My dad died while i was in my second year I asked for and did not recieve a hardship discharge. The top sarge did not believe that my dad died and blackballed me clean up the chain of command.

It was not supposed to be that way. I was 17 when i went in. My CO was Captain Westmoreland he was General Westmoreland's son.

He had his own problems, his wife left him for an enlisted man.

The Marines were not supposed to be that way.

The Swiftboat Veterans for truth, Are far above and beyond any call of duty. Except that bond that is enherant when you go to war and fight to keep each other alive.

Mr Oneil, Is an outstanding individual. Thanks to him and all those of you who signed on with him to continue to serve this country. We sure need you guys.

~SALUTE~

I should have joined the Navy and not a department of it.
The Swift Vets for truth Is showing us how we as Americans can take back our country from the scoundrels. Scoundrels equate to activist judges and dishonorable men in leadership positions lowering our constitution to curb height .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 35 of 47

Jump to: