SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question of amount of ammo carried on the Swift boats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXBear
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Question of amount of ammo carried on the Swift boats Reply with quote

I just reread this account of kerrys, 20 February 1969 action in the Boston Globe where he states:

Quote:
The destruction included 40 sampans, 10 hut-style hootches, three bunkers, and 5,000 pounds of rice. The crews from two swift boats had expended more than 14,000 rounds of.50-caliber ammunition. No enemy casualties were reported.

(http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/kerry/061603.shtml)

My question is, was it normal to carry this much .50 Cal ammo between 2 boats? Seems like a lot of ammo to carry on what started as a routine patrol. How many extra replacement .50 Cal barrels were carried. Expending this amount of ammo surely burned out a barrel or two.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read Joe Muharsky's story about an ambush on 6 Mar 69, he talks about putting two belts of ammo together (7000 rounds) for his M-60 and how the barrel got so hot it glowed, the machine gun jammed and he had to keep pounding it on the deck to keep firing.

I'm sure they kept plenty of ammo. They were constantly at risk of attack from two sides.
Abbey November
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, on the Mark 1 model swiftboat, the twin 50 mount carried 500 rounds per barrel. The aft piggy back 50 mount carried 100 rounds. There were several pre-loaded replacement containers for the aft mount that were carried on deck. The Mark 3 model swiftboat's twin 50 mount carried about 1000 rounds per barrel. I could be wrong though. The Mark 1's may have had 1000 rounds per barrel in the twin 50 mount and the Mark 3's 2000 per barrel. The boats carried a supply of extra barrels. After firefights, bake offs occured when the gunners didn't clear the last round. In the bilge, under the main cabin was where the extra ammunition was carried. There was enough ammunition to reload twice. The ammunition box on the aft deck at the stern was for mortar rounds. There was room for almost 100 rounds. The boats also carried a large amount of 7.62 belted ammunition for M-60's. Some of the Mark 3 swifts had two twin mounts of M-60's aft and two single M-60's forward.
TXBear
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After firefights, bake offs occured when the gunners didn't clear the last round.

Okay, I never fired an M2, but are you saying they fire from a closed-bolt position? That seems pretty unbelieveable to me. Or was there a different reason they would cook off?
scraper3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to amplify a bit. The spot report for that mission stated there were 6 boats. Used 14,000 rds 50 cal., 8,300 rds M60, 480 rds M79. The CTE was 194.5.4.4, I believe that was Kerry. Kerry and Thorson took shrapnel hits.

The summation of the report states the area the boats operated in that day was "extremely prosperous and open to psyops action." Seems a strange way to describe an area where thesame report says boats came under heavy rocket and A/W fire. 14,000 rds represents over 10% of total usage for the month. This may be routine but seems like a lot of firepower.
Abbey November
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wing Wiper, I don't know about the different models for the .50 calibers, but I do know they did bake off on the boats and that we and the gunners were trained to clear the round that was in the chamber after the firing stopped to avoid accidents. Back aft it was a safety thing. Up top, it would just scare the OinC and helmsman when it baked off, ie. unexpectedly.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
clear the round that was in the chamber

That would imply it fired closed-bolt, unlike an M-60 that holds the bolt to the rear when you release the trigger. Okay, it's an old design, might not want to walk in front of those when they're hot. I do remember my dad telling me of this happening on an F-80 while he was in the Air Force. The guy spotting targets at the time took 3 rounds and lived (as a vegetable). I never really understood how it occured, now I know. Thanks for the warning.
BMG Mike
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma Deuce does indeed fire from the closed bolt. There is a bolt lock open mechanism also, but it doesn't engage automatically. The bolt must be manually retracted to engage. Cookoff is possible with any of the BMG designs.

Mike
Boundless
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMG Mike: > Ma Deuce does indeed fire from the closed bolt.

Astonishing. The M2 was, as I recall, designed by John
Browning, at about the same time as he did the BAR, and the
BAR fires from an open bolt.

Any insight into why the M2 is a closed-bolt design?
BMG Mike
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: OT - MG discussion Reply with quote

Boundless,

All I can figure is that the M2 is a derivative of the .30 cal designs, M1917 (water cooled) and BMG M1919 (air cooled), both closed-bolt designs. The inner workings are identical in concept, with allowances for the differing power (recoil) of the two calibers. The later .30 cals don't have a bolt latch, but the early BMG 1919s did have a manual one.

The BAR M1919 was type-accepted before the M2 development was complete - in fact, I think the M2 was originally M1921.

The big difference is that the BMGs extract the next round from the belt on the rearward movement of the bolt. An open bolt design would have a live round hanging from the bolt face; and I don't think the hanging mechanism would be all that reliable to insure a next shot function. The Canadians have made an open-bolt modification to the 1919, but I don't have any hands-on experience with it, so I can't comment on its reliability.

The BAR and M60 unlink (or strip from the mag) and chamber on the forward stroke of the bolt. The ammo is securely held in the "high capacity ammunition feeding device" until the trigger is pulled.

By the time M2 was type accepted, it may have been envisioned as primarily aircraft equipment, and there is enough air cooling in a slipstream to minimize the chance of cookoff. History has shown it to be far more flexible than was perhaps envisioned.

Cookoffs in the ground guns are prevented by quickly (5 sec or less) opening the bolt to unchamber the round. Unfortunately, it ususally takes longer than that to realize that the threat is neutralized, by which time a cookoff can be imminent.

One thing you DO NOT want to do is to have a .50 BMG round go off out-of-battery. It's real hard on guns and gunners. So the immediate action is to leave it chambered and let it possible cook off, hopefully with the muzzle in a safe direction.

Mike
BMG Mike
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Correction to above Reply with quote

Above post should read BAR M1918.

Mike
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moral to the story: don't walk in front of hot M2's. Good thing to know, thanks.
Boundless
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: cook-off: not necessarily about chili Reply with quote

> Moral to the story: don't walk in front of hot M2's.

Or any full-auto or selective-fire weapon that fires
from a closed bolt, including the M16 & derivatives.

I wouldn't even be terribly surprised if extended
heavy semi firing can get a pure semi-auto, like
an AR-15, hot enough to cook off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: