SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A friend I never met just died

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: A friend I never met just died Reply with quote

Someone posted this.
I won't go into his politics but I suppose that the persons post should indicate that military folks could take a moment to give a salute to an unknown.

In Memorial

I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze.

A young Marine saluted it,
And then he stood at ease..

I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
With hair cut square and eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still,
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant "Amen,"

When a flag had draped a coffin.
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea

Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No, freedom isn't free.
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, Craig... you act as if we DON'T "give a salute" to the unknowns EVERY DAMNED DAY.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poem is beautiful - do you agree with the original poster's comment that we could give a thought to the fallen?

If you don't agree, then why would you defile the honorarium with careless editorial comment?

Here's something to think on - WE ARE WITH THEM. Every day. We don't need a memorial day - we mourn the losses as they are announced.

We hold our granite monuments precious as the gesture of honor and gratefulness that they were intended to be.

Freedom isn't free.

They were the best of us - "greater love hath no man than he will lay down his life for his friend."

http://nathanadams.com/WeSupportU.htm
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95 bxl wrote:
Gee, Craig... you act as if we DON'T "give a salute" to the unknowns EVERY DAMNED DAY.

Gee, you sorry POS. Could you not just doff your hat for a moment w/o the crapy response?
This man did good things and was one of 'ours' and finally died from it.
http://www.legacy.com/OnlineAthens/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=2272727
If you cannot show a moments respect then try to have the decency to just keep shut.
Maybe it was wrong thing for me to do to post about it here. I was on an emotional thing at the time - so excuse me, you sorry disrespectful piece of crap. I am on a different emotional thing now.

Again:

In Memorial

I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze.

A young Marine saluted it,
And then he stood at ease..

I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
With hair cut square and eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still,
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant "Amen,"

When a flag had draped a coffin.
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea

Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No, freedom isn't free.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, very nice poem. I've seen it before and get chills everytime I read it. You see, everytime I hear of one our military people dieing, it hurts. I pain for their loved ones and feel anger towards the ones who brought us to this point. No, not Bush, but to the ones around the world that feel we deserve to die just because we believe differently than they do.

Back in the 40's, the world waited until it was almost too late to stop the spread of tyranny. With terrorists, they have also waited way too long, in my estimation. Terrorist should have had the fight taken to them well over 30 years ago. There is no such thing as if we leave them alone, they'll leave us alone.

Along with the sorrow I feel when I hear of one making the ultimate sacrifice, I also feel a sense of pride that the concept of duty and honor is still alive in younger ones and many are willing to be placed in harm's way fighting, not only for our freedoms, but for people they don't even know. America isn't trying to spread it's borders, but is trying to spread freedom to any that want it.

Hearing Kerry today, at the dedication of the WW2 monument, use it to blast Bush shows me what a low type of person he is. Today's ceremonies were not the place for electioneering. That was low class.

To all veterans out there, I add my thanks to you all. To buddies I knew that died in Vietnam and the ones who passed on after, I pray your loved ones realize they did not die in vain, but that others may taste the freedom their sacrifice ws made for.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Craig, very nice poem. I've seen it before and get chills everytime I read it. You see, everytime I hear of one our military people dieing, it hurts. I pain for their loved ones and feel anger towards the ones who brought us to this point. No, not Bush, but to the ones around the world that feel we deserve to die just because we believe differently than they do.

Back in the 40's, the world waited until it was almost too late to stop the spread of tyranny. With terrorists, they have also waited way too long, in my estimation. Terrorist should have had the fight taken to them well over 30 years ago. There is no such thing as if we leave them alone, they'll leave us alone.

Along with the sorrow I feel when I hear of one making the ultimate sacrifice, I also feel a sense of pride that the concept of duty and honor is still alive in younger ones and many are willing to be placed in harm's way fighting, not only for our freedoms, but for people they don't even know. America isn't trying to spread it's borders, but is trying to spread freedom to any that want it.

Hearing Kerry today, at the dedication of the WW2 monument, use it to blast Bush shows me what a low type of person he is. Today's ceremonies were not the place for electioneering. That was low class.

To all veterans out there, I add my thanks to you all. To buddies I knew that died in Vietnam and the ones who passed on after, I pray your loved ones realize they did not die in vain, but that others may taste the freedom their sacrifice ws made for.

Goddammit!
The first half of your post you had me going.
I guess I got on an emotional thing and had it in my head that some folks could show a moments respect without partisan ********. Now you sorry ******* bastard want to make a kerry issue of it.
I really do not know what Randy thought of kerry - but I think I do know what he thought of bastards like you.
I wanted to make known of a "brother" passing and you garbage bag would make some political issue of it.
Damn but I wish I were articulate enough to really give expression to what a vile piece of crap I think you are.

I wish the Administrator had not taken away to delete a post. I'd wish to just make this thread go away like it never existed.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Goddammit!
I guess I got on an emotional thing and had it in my head that some folks could show a moments respect without partisan Bullcrap.

But, you were the one who started with "partisan Bullcrap," Craig. If you'd posted it without the editorializing, it would have been fine.

As I said, it's a beautiful poem.

But, it's presumptuous of your friend to post such a thing; that we military might spare a thought for our fallen. For him to imply that we have no concern for the cost of war is ridiculous.
Jeremy Eaton
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Navy_Navy_Navy"]

Freedom isn't free.

And ceremony isn't ceremoney
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Craig wrote:

Goddammit!
I guess I got on an emotional thing and had it in my head that some folks could show a moments respect without partisan Bullcrap.

But, you were the one who started with "partisan Bullcrap," Craig. If you'd posted it without the editorializing, it would have been fine.

As I said, it's a beautiful poem.

But, it's presumptuous of your friend to post such a thing; that we military might spare a thought for our fallen. For him to imply that we have no concern for the cost of war is ridiculous.

What editoralizing, you **** brain?
Quote for me what you found offensive.
I thought it enough to mention that one had fallen and I did not want to get political about it. You are a sorry piece of **** who could not just go with it.
I do not know what battle scars took him down. I just know he had some.
Actually I guess it was in back of my mind and I thought as soon as I posted that it was probably not such good idea for sake of sorry pieces of crap such as yourself. I wonder if I can get Administrator to just delete this who dispicable thread.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A friend I never met just died Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Someone posted this.
I won't go into his politics but I suppose that the persons post should indicate that military folks could take a moment to give a salute to an unknown.

This editorial content, Craig. "Should" inferring that they don't.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A friend I never met just died Reply with quote

Greenhat wrote:
Craig wrote:
Someone posted this.

"should indicate" you sorry POS.
military folks could show a moments respect.
Seems that is beyond some SOB's.
Shame I had an emotional moment that appears to have indicated weakness for pukes of your sort to instinctively attack.
Greenhat wrote:
Craig wrote:
Someone posted this.

and military folks could take a moment.
Seems that is beyond some SOB's who can't be distracted for a moment from centering all and everything on their agenda.

Shame I had an emotional moment that appears to have indicated weakness for pukes of your sort to instinctively attack. Some of you creeps must be just hell to be around for sake of nit picking for any slightest hint of an opening to interpret in a manner you can denigrate.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:

In a better state of mind this morning and read again what you wrote.
I don't know what Kerry said, but if it was as you describe then it was low class.
And you did the same damned thing in your choice of where and when to ***** about it.

A difference between Randy and myself is that he would just disagree with your politics while I would consider you a common enemy. And while I would consider him a better person than me I am sure that he would not agree with me on that.
colmurph
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig...I don't know if you have any knowledge of High Speed Morse Radio Intercept and the fact that most "Operators" can recognize the "Fist" of someone sending Morse Code from 1,000 miles away from a location that they were in a few weeks preceeding.

In your case, I recognize the "Fist" of a malcontent, 100% on the VA "Suck", that has infested another web site with his Anti-Bush pro Kerry or any other Democrat rhetoric.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: A friend I never met just died Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Greenhat wrote:
Craig wrote:
Someone posted this.

military folks could show a moments respect.
Seems that is beyond some SOB's.

Doesn't change the meaning of the English, Craig. I just pointed out what editorial comment there was. I didn't make any judgement of it. As for POS, I think you have more than adequately demonstrated your knowledge of that area.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: