SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry is not the root of the problem

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diogenes
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Kerry is not the root of the problem Reply with quote

One of Keith Nolan's posts closes with: "Can we finally all admit that
the Vietnam War was a gray-shaded mess about which good men can
disagree, and that John Kerry came to his anti-war position honestly?"
I'd like to expand on this a little, because I'm still confused about
this organization---not why it's anti-Kerry, but why it's pro-Bush.

All wars are "gray-shaded messes" - Dresden and Hiroshima were far
worse (at least in raw scale) than anything that we were responsible
for in Vietnam. Vietnam was different, not because it was grayer or
nastier, but because unlike WWII, or Korea, or Gulf I, good men not
only could disagree, but *did* disagree. They disagreed violently, and
bitterly, and a lot of people were hurt in that cross-fire.

The bitterness isn't really surprising. If people have any opinion
about something like this it will be a strong one. If a war is just
and necessary, the "messiness" is an unavoidable cost. If the war is
unnecessary, then it's worth almost any cost to *stop* it. In a
situation like this it's not surprising that rhetoric gets out of
hand---sometimes way out of hand. So young men go to war as patriots,
and come back to be branded as baby-killers. And those young men were
certainly justified in being angry at that situation. It's one thing
to get shot at, but this was something different---this was a cost of
war, a type of causuality, that no-one had seen before.

However, it's clear to me that the situation is not solely the fault
of the anti-war movement. If you're angry at them, surely you should
also be angry at Johnsons and McNamaras and Nixons that let the
country be so bitterly divided---the men that took America into a war
that was not accepted, not viewed as just and necessary, by so many
otherwise reasonable people.

And if you're angry at them, surely you should be angry at Bush. Bush
was able, largely because of his unprecedented popularity in the
aftermath of 9/11, to initiate the most contentious war since Vietnam.
Whether you believe he was right or wrong in going into Iraq, surely
you agree that Bush has done a poor job in convincing America that
this war is just and necessary. And on top of that his "mission
accomplished" optimism has done little to prepare us for the very real
sacrifices that were and will be needed.

You can blame us liberals if you like - but, remember, this bitter
split between pro- and anti-war doesn't always happen. It didn't
happen in Korea, and it didn't happen (much anyway) in Gulf I. We're
seeing now the same sort of divide that we had in the sixties, we're
seeing it on George Bush's watch, and I believe we're going to see the
same sort of collateral damage to the young men and women who come
back from Iraq. Maybe you had it tough coming back from Vietnam, but
would you trade places with an MP coming back from a stint at Abu
Ghraib?

Think about it. Maybe you all have hidden reasons for this vets for
truth thing, but if any of you are truly worried about Kerry
besmirching the honor of vets in '71...well, I think there's a lot
more bemirching coming up directly, and if that's your main worry,
there might be far more productive things to do about it.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry is not the root of the problem Reply with quote

diogenes wrote:
but, remember, this bitter
happen in Korea, and it didn't happen (much anyway) in Gulf I.

However, it did happen in the American Revolution, in the Civil War, in WWI and WWII. Shall we be mad at the founding fathers? Abraham Lincoln? Woodrow Wilson and FDR?
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, I can be for Bush because Kerry is a psychotic, self-confessed war criminal.

You don't mind, awfully, do you?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry may not be THE root of the problem, but he was certainly AT the root of the problem.

Marching under the VC flag, lying to Congress, slandering a generation of soldiers, meeting with the enemy in violation of US Code and the UCMJ, propagating the enemy's KGB-crafted disinformation.

Hanoi John Kerry made his own bed and he can damn well lie in it. (no stupid pun intended, but it damn well fits!)
diogenes
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry is not the root of the problem Reply with quote

Greenhat wrote:
diogenes wrote:

However, it did happen in the American Revolution, in the Civil War, in WWI and WWII. Shall we be mad at the founding fathers? Abraham Lincoln? Woodrow Wilson and FDR?

I don't think you're serious. There will aways be a few dissenters - we wouldn't be America without a few wingnuts - but my history books don't describe any major, bitter splits over whether the US should have entered WWI and WWII. Were there really crowds of people on street corners yelling "bring the troops home" after Pearl Harbor? do you really think the anti-war movement in WWII was comparable to Vietnam, or Gulf II? Do you have anything to back up this claim?

The American Revolution and the Civil War, I'll give you - there was certainly dissent. But in each case, the divide---between Tories and revolutionaries, between North and South---was deep-rooted, and had been building for years, and wasn't traceable to any one person.

That's not the case here: in fact, after 9/11, the country was probably more united than it had been decades. The partisan split we're seeing is largely because of Bush.

Think about it. Previous presidents have used pretty stringent requirements before committing US troops (for instance, having a clear exit strategy). Bush didn't. In terms of marshalling support, Bush did little other than rely on his (rapidly eroding) popular support. He's flip-flopped about the reasons for the war, mostly avoided situations (like press conferences) in which he'd be pushed to actually justify anything. And his "mission accomplished" photo-op was exactly the wrong message for the country: you don't prepare people for sacrifice and hard news ahead by telling them "well now, wasn't that easy?"

If Gulf II vets do come back, not as patriots and heros, but to an atmosphere filled with the same sort of hatred and internal dissent that we had during Vietnam, I certainly do blame Bush.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame the liberals for dividing this Nation for political gain rather supporting our troops. Disinformation about the war is truely a democrat baby right now. Their stand should be "lets win the dam thing and get out of there" instead of disinforming and prolonging it for ploitical gain. Demo's don't give a rats a** about the troops, all they have shown me is that they will do everything to make Bush look bad even if it means sacrificing our kid's. Kerry is only a mouth piece and not the whole cause, the party is the root. When Clinton went into Kosovo I don't recall the Republicans campaigning against our troops like is being done today.
diogenes
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
Blame the liberals for dividing this Nation for political gain rather supporting our troops. Disinformation about the war is truely a democrat baby right now. Their stand should be "lets win the dam thing and get out of there" instead of disinforming and prolonging it for ploitical gain. Demo's don't give a rats a** about the troops, all they have shown me is that they will do everything to make Bush look bad even if it means sacrificing our kid's. Kerry is only a mouth piece and not the whole cause, the party is the root. When Clinton went into Kosovo I don't recall the Republicans campaigning against our troops like is being done today.

Actually, it's not just democrats: a number of republicans have also questioned Bush's conduct of the war. Richard Lugar, head of the Senate Foreign Relations, has also criticised Bush's executtion of the war: "'Military action is necessary to defeat serious and immediate threats to our national security. But the war on terrorism will not be won through attrition, particularly since military action will often breed more terrorists and more resentment of the United States....Unless the United States commits itself to a sustained program of repairing and building alliances, expanding trade, pursuing resolutions to regional conflicts, supporting democracy and development worldwide, and controlling weapons of mass destruction, we are likely to experience acts of catastrophic terrorism".

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/05/23/lugar_questions_us_policies_on_iraq_terrorism

Anthony Zinni's comments were even more direct - is he doing this for political gain also? or because he thinks it's right?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/21/60minutes/main618896.shtml

The end of the article is actually perhaps the most relevant to your point - your claim that the anti-war movement is basically a democratic plot. Zinni says:

"Look, there is one statement that bothers me more than anything else. And that's the idea that when the troops are in combat, everybody has to shut up. Imagine if we put troops in combat with a faulty rifle, and that rifle was malfunctioning, and troops were dying as a result..I can't think anyone would allow that to happen, that would not speak up. Well, what's the difference between a faulty plan and strategy that's getting just as many troops killed? It’s leading down a path where we're not succeeding and accomplishing the missions we've set out to do.”

And relevant to my point--that regardless of what you think about the correctness of the war, Bush & company are failing to run it right: the article concludes:

"60 Minutes asked Secretary Rumsfeld and his deputy Wolfowitz to respond to Zinni's remarks. The request for an interview was declined."

If Bush et al are willing to send the troops to war, in my view, they should be willing to engage in substantive debate about their decisions. And they don't. "Blame the liberals" - fine, if you like. But their comments aren't all that different in substance from Lugar and Zinni - only in tone.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry is not the root of the problem Reply with quote

diogenes wrote:
However, it's clear to me that the situation is not solely the fault
of the anti-war movement. If you're angry at them, surely you should
also be angry at Johnsons and McNamaras and Nixons that let the
country be so bitterly divided---the men that took America into a war
that was not accepted, not viewed as just and necessary, by so many
otherwise reasonable people.

Your premise is false. Many "otherwise reasonable" people didn't accept the need to go to war with Hitler or Hirohito. Churchill was ridiculed - big time - for his tough stance on Hitler (that is, until Nazi bombs were dropping over London). War is never popular, but that doesn't mean a particular war is intrisically unnecessary.
diogenes
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hist/student wrote:
Quote:
That's not the case here: in fact, after 9/11, the country was probably more united than it had been decades. The partisan split we're seeing is largely because of Bush.

This is a complete misstatement of reality.

The partison split in the country is the legecy of bill clinton, stephonopolis and carville.

Well, I'm certainly full of astonishment. I agree the media has a lot of influence...maybe too much. And I'm also upset at the all-too-scientific efforts to probe and manipulate public opinion, by both parties.

But blaming the previous administration for this is a bit of stretch, to put it mildly. And really, how much power to you want to ascribe to the loathsome liberal media? how many of your fellow Americans are so easily brainwashed? 10%? 20%? 50%?
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[retraction

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry is not the root of the problem Reply with quote

diogenes wrote:
The American Revolution and the Civil War, I'll give you - there was certainly dissent. But in each case, the divide---between Tories and revolutionaries, between North and South---was deep-rooted, and had been building for years, and wasn't traceable to any one person.

This issue has been building for years; ever since the end of the 2000 election. The divide has been deep-rooted, and is not traceable to any one person.

It is traceable in large part, I believe, to a large number of motivated people (e.g. George Soros, Edward Kennedy, et al.) that have worked very hard to create and maintain the divide. They, along with many others, choose to believe that the election was fundamentally invalid, and that the current president is a ridiculous pretender with absolutely no validity in their eyes.

I'll admit, WWII was a poor example - going after Al-Quaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan in the wake of 9/11 would, it seems to me, to have been a better, if not perfect, parallel for that.
diogenes
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hist/student wrote:

a example of poor reading comprehension, which was so painfully bourn out during the last ellection is your defficiency in understanding my previous post.

I think it's because of your spelling, dude.

(Sorry - that was just too hard to pass up.)
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry is not the root of the problem Reply with quote

diogenes wrote:
Greenhat wrote:
diogenes wrote:

I don't think you're serious. There will aways be a few dissenters - we wouldn't be America without a few wingnuts - but my history books don't describe any major, bitter splits over whether the US should have entered WWI and WWII. Were there really crowds of people on street corners yelling "bring the troops home" after Pearl Harbor? do you really think the anti-war movement in WWII was comparable to Vietnam, or Gulf II? Do you have anything to back up this claim?

Well, I suggest you research a little more. I am not referring to the split between North and South when I refer to the Civil War, but to the split within the North. Are you unfamiliar with the riots in New York City? Or that Abraham Lincoln was referred to as "the most hated man in the Union"? Of course, one of the reasons that there might not have been more riots is because Union Troops fired into the crowd.

In both WWI and WWII there was extensive disagreement with the wars. In WWI, it was extensive enough that the sedition act was added to the espionage act, and more than a few people were jailed under it. In WWII, FDR was ruthless in suppressing dissent in the media or via demonstrations. Most of the dissent was related to Germany and not to fighting Japan, but dissent did exist none the less.

I take it that you believe that Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson or Franklin Delano Roosevelt were universally praised by Americans? They were not. As a matter of interest, I think a rather good argument can be made that the greatest American Presidents are both the most loved and the most hated when they serve (George Washington being a possible exception). It is certainly true of Abraham Lincoln and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. And it is true to only a slighter lesser extent of Woodrow Wilson.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diogenes, I really think that a weapon which does not work is a bad example for people speaking out. That is expected. What I mean is the constant rhetoric about the big lie on this war and that their comander lied to just war monger etc. The lies and misinformation about Bush and this war has a devastating effect on our troops. Morale is affected tremendously when the troops hear this crap, news constantly saying that they are there for no reason. Believe it or not the troops hear it everytime Kerry, Hillary, Kennedy, Dashole, Gephart say that Bush lied to get us into a war that shouldn't have happened. I'm sorry but this war is absolutly necessary. Nobody can dispute the fact that Iraq was supplying training camps for terrorists and also money for terrorists. I would much rather the troops clean house in their back yard and not in mine. Sadaam killed a million of his own people with serin gas, we have dug up the mass graves, now what part of Sadaam had WMD's doesn't everybody understand? Bush had some faulty intellegence and he admits that, but how many times do these terrorists need to use these weapons before the left say's OK they have WMD's. Our military dug up a new well preserved Russian Mig fighter that was buried in the sand, clearly a banned item. The report that I read said that there were 19 more that they are digging up. I am sorry but a mig is capable of delivering a nuclear weapon to London in an hour from Iraq and that I consider a WMD. The split in this country, pure democratic at this point. My son asked me if the people really think they are animals and untrained idiots, that my friend is unsatisfactory with me. The liberals are running on a Vietnam platform and trying to portray or kids just as they did in Nam and I won't stand for it. They want to make our kid's suffer for another 30 years for political gain and us Vets can not let that happen again at the hands of the same traitor. My son has nothing to be ashamed of, he is a US Marine not a UN Marine, the Marine Corps that he is in is the same one that I was in, full of rich tradition and profesionalism that has carried for over 200 years since Tun Tavern. I will not let Kerry divide and destroy this country or my Corps. Semper Fi
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: