SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry and M-79
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Seaman (E-3) Electronics Technician assigned to an LCM-8 (Mike Boat) during amphibious operations. My primary duty on the boat was to man the port .50 cal and my secondary duty was to repair radios and other electronics equipment on all of the boats.

I had just completed electronics technician school and flown over from San Francisco to catch my ship. My formal training on the .50 cal was on the way in to land Marines at Camp Tien Sha - Da Nang in 1965. It consisted of “Here is how to load it. When you want to shoot, push here with both thumbs. Hang on tight because it will rise on you. Aim low to start and it will come up on target. Sweep it left or right for effect. Don‘t shoot across the boat, leave that to the starboard .50. If you have a problem, yell. Got it?” I said yes, but I was scared sh..less looking over the 150 Marines in combat gear in the well of that boat.

I later met all of the qualifications as a boat coxswain which allowed you to proudly wear the symbol on your uniform. I was told that that was not a qualification that an electronics technician could hold because it was not part of my rate qualifications. I was told if I wanted to wear a coxswain symbol, I had to change from electronics technician to boatswains mate. None of this was documented because it was not on my rate qualification sheet. It was noted in my quarterly report that “During this period, ETSN XYZ was assigned to the landing boats for radio repair during amphibious operations.” However, it was documented and initialed off on my rate qualification sheet during this same time that I properly demonstrated how to clean up a broken radioactive vacuum tube. I had to demonstrate that skill every six months.

I don’t know how it is in the Navy now, but that is how it was when the Viet Nam buildup started. They really didn't document small-arms qualifications unless someone mentioned it in your quarterly report evaluation.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry and M-79 Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Anybody know if the M-79 was a standard weapon that a Reserve Navy
officer would be trained on in 1971, prior to assignment to Swift boats?

The M-79 was part of the small arms compliment on board Swifts and other
"Brown Water" naval vessels used during the Vietnam conflict.

Kerry attended OCS in Newport, RI to obtain his reserve commision, as did I.
Small arms training was NOT part of the curriculum taught to the candidates
Naval officers were oriented toward large ship weapons such as 5 inch guns,
torpedos, missles and hedge hog anti-submarine depth charges.

Small arms carried aboard destroyers such as the Gridley, Kerry's only
assignment prior to Swifts, consisted only of rifles, sub-machine guns
and pistols.

Weapons familiarization was part of the training undertaken at Coronado
for all prospective Swift Boat sailors assigned to duty on the boats. But, at
least in my experience, no live firing of the M-79 was part of the training.

I never received any kind of certificate for small arms qualification while in
the Navy, even for the M-16, pistol and shotgun live fire training we did have
during Swift Boat training. Weapons proficiency in the 81 mm mortar an the 50
caliber machine guns were stressed. Certificates were issued to to the crew
for completing training in those. Again, small arms were secondary in the Navy.

We "learned on the job" as far as the M-79 was concerned. And as you and
many others have noted, this is a weapon that requires some familiarity with
its aiming and arming characteristics in order to be used safely. I, along with
my crew, used up several rounds each during our first patrols just practicing
with this weapon to understand its capabilities and limitations. But once familiar
with it, however, it became the small arms weapons of choice to "reach out and
touch someone" without having to resort to the heavy weapons of the 50 cal MG
or the 81 mm mortar. Much more effective on the water than the M-16, which
was used primarily as an attention getter rather than an offensive weapon in
our waterborne enviornment.

Since Kerry was in a "familiarization" mode during his first few days in
Vietnam, it is highly probable that he had never fired the M-79 before the
December 2nd operation. He did not have a crew or a boat and was taken
on this mission to be supervised by (then) Senior Lieutenant Schachte. By
firing a weapon he was unfamilir with, at night, in a small boat .. it is very
understandable that he could have accidently injured himself.

Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Weapons Quals Reply with quote

I was a Gunnery Officer aboard an LST, responsible for the training of the Shipīs Defense Force. I donīt remember any special records that would have ended up in the service jackets of the troops that documented any weapons quals. The quals would have been included as a mention in the enlisted performance evaluations - but only as an aside. It is expected that someone assigned to a shooting position be qualified as a shooter.

I was then assigned to Special Boats - the modern version of Swift boats. We fired every weapon imaginable. I dontīt show any special mention of these quals in my records. From .22-cal "Hushpuppies" to 9mm, .45ACP, M-16, scoped Remington 760īs, M-60s, M-79s, .50-cals, 20mm MG , 60mm mortars and 80mm naval mortars, there is nothing in my records to show qualification on these weapons. But I know that I did it. I had blisters on my trigger finger after a det to Niland, CA. I spent more than six hours each day in the Kill House at Niland firing a 9mm (SIG/Saur P225, I believe, or perhaps a P235). Killed a lot of virtual hostages !!

Given all of that, if someone is familiar with an M-79, he is not going to unload one close enough to shore so that the back-splash can arrive to the firing area. In the heat of a perceived battle, someone can be forgiven for this sort of error. I donīt believe, though, that a tiny splinter should have been parlayed into a Purple Heart. As an aside, we used ours only for illum rounds but, as an anecdote, I fired an HE on Saipan at line-of-sight at about fifty yards against a 1/2" metal plate with no back-splash. Therefore, Kerry must have fired into the rocks at about twenty yards. Pretty damned stupid.

The 1650 states that a Purple Heart is justified if the wound requires immediate medical attention. Kerry waited until the following day to present himself in medical facilitities. And the treatment was a Band-Aid. Hardly deserving of an award.

Dane
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Weapons Quals Reply with quote

I was a Gunnery Officer aboard an LST, responsible for the training of the Shipīs Defense Force. I donīt remember any special records that would have ended up in the service jackets of the troops that documented any weapons quals. The quals would have been included as a mention in the enlisted performance evaluations - but only as an aside. It is expected that someone assigned to a shooting position be qualified as a shooter.

I was then assigned to Special Boats - the modern version of Swift boats. We fired every weapon imaginable. I dontīt show any special mention of these quals in my records. From .22-cal "Hushpuppies" to 9mm, .45ACP, M-16, scoped Remington 760īs, M-60s, M-79s, .50-cals, 20mm MG , 60mm mortars and 80mm naval mortars, there is nothing in my records to show qualification on these weapons. But I know that I did it. I had blisters on my trigger finger after a det to Niland, CA. I spent more than six hours each day in the Kill House at Niland firing a 9mm (SIG/Saur P225, I believe, or perhaps a P235). Killed a lot of virtual hostages !!

Given all of that, if someone is familiar with an M-79, he is not going to unload one close enough to shore so that the back-splash can arrive to the firing area. In the heat of a perceived battle, someone can be forgiven for this sort of error. I donīt believe, though, that a tiny splinter should have been parlayed into a Purple Heart. As an aside, we used ours only for illum rounds but, as an anecdote, I fired an HE on Saipan at line-of-sight at about fifty yards against a 1/2" metal plate with no back-splash. Therefore, Kerry must have fired into the rocks at about twenty yards. Pretty damned stupid.

The 1650 states that a Purple Heart is justified if the wound requires immediate medical attention. Kerry waited until the following day to present himself in medical facilitities. And the treatment was a Band-Aid. Hardly deserving of an award.

Dane
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Weapon quals Reply with quote

Belay my last. Weapon cuals were entered on Page 13 (Admin remarks)of the service record. I seem to remember that quals resulting in a marksmanship ribbon were also entered on Page 6 but my memory is really fuzzy on this.

Dane
Porsche944
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane:

Page 13 and Page 6 sound right.
Dane
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: M-79 quals Reply with quote

That being said, I donīt remember any specific quals for the M-79 such as "15 rounds at a distance of X with 90% arriving to target". We just went out and started playing with them under supervision and instruction and called it "Fam Fire".

Dane
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I donīt remember any specific quals for the M-79 such as "15 rounds at a distance of X with 90% arriving to target". We just went out and started playing with them under supervision and instruction and called it "Fam Fire". "

Yes, same thing we did, a demonstration and familiarization, about 5 rounds of target ammo, 5 rounds of HE, and they noted it in our records without a score -Fam Fire was about right. I did have a weapons card that tracked me from Basic through discharge, though, showing all Fam Fire and M-16 range scores. Funny only the Air Force seemed to do this. Question
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Stupid Military Tricks Reply with quote

An M-60's barrel will glow red when fired for a long time -- on the ground. But this is not the case with a M-60 mounted on a Huey. I learned this fact the hard way.

I was firing my M-60 and it jammed. In the haste of the moment, I grabbed the barrel and released the lock. My right palm was on fire. I couldn't let go of the barrel because we were flying over a jungle. I latched the barrel back and then cleared the jam. I felt so stupid. I didn't even complain about it over the intercom. And I didn't go to the doctor the next day. My palm scabbed over and finally healed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: