SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SBVFT/527 legal commentary from FindLaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredRum
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: SBVFT/527 legal commentary from FindLaw Reply with quote

In an attempt to battle my insomnia, I was browsing around FindLaw (apologies to O'Neill and others, but lawyers induce immediate drowsiness in me Very Happy) and saw this new article linked on their home page. It's biased, but I thought it might be of passing interest to some of the folks here:

Why "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" and Other "527" Organizations Can't Be Silenced
By MICHAEL C. DORF
----
Wednesday, Sep. 01, 2004

When asked whether he supports the attacks on John Kerry's Vietnam War record by "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth," President Bush has repeatedly dodged the question.

To his credit, the President has said that Kerry admirably served his country. But he has not specifically condemned the Swift Boat advertisements, which falsely claim that Kerry lied about the events that led to his combat medals.

Instead, Bush has called for an end to all political ads by so-called "527" organizations, which are not subject to the restrictions on campaign finance that apply to campaigns and the major parties. His position would eliminate ads by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which is a 527, but would also shut down wholly truthful ads by every other such organization as well.

Last week, Bush upped the ante. Calling the "shadowy" 527s "bad for the system," he enlisted campaign finance hero John McCain's support for new legislation. Their proposed law would forbid 527s from raising and spending money outside of the federal restrictions.

click here to read the entire article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: