SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Trip to the Wall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobette
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: A Trip to the Wall Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but a friend just e-mailed this to me and I thought it was worth sharing:

It was 1985 or so. I was in DC for a court case involving the brokerage firm I worked for and we were done early. I figured waiting at the airport for an hour and a half. But I asked the cab driver how far we were from the wall and he said there was plenty of time. As we pulled up all I saw was open field. I thought he was going to rip my carryon off. But he said see that guy walking there? The guy disappeared from sight. Then I realized it was countersunk into the ground. So I walked over and sure enough it was below the surface. It became real quiet when I got over there, almost like in church. As I approached the I saw medals all over the front on it on the ground. Some were stuck between the panels of names. There were flowers everywhere. Notes, envelopes etc.. There was a guy a little older than me in a nice looking suit with an old well worn western style holster in his hands. He was crying silent tears with one hand on the wall almost lovingly rubbing the name on it. He said something I couldn't make out and gently put the holster down and walked away. To say I felt like an intruder is an understatement. I noticed a pair of jump boots with a note in the laces someone had placed there. Then I noticed an older woman with what was obviously her daughter. They had a bunch of roses and the daughter was crying and reading a letter to her dad whose name was on the wall. I remember almost crying myself. She said something like well Dad I was only 2 when Mom got the news that you had been killed and I've always wondered what kind of dad you would have been. Mom has never remarried and said you were one decent man. She went on reading but I couldn't take it anymore so I moved away to a farther section and started talking to a Park Police guy. He said it's like this everyday. By the time night comes there are a lot of flowers medals letters notes boots you name it. And most people don't leave with dry eyes. He said at first they put them in a little shed not far away. Now they have a huge warehouse and they catalog everything as to which panel it was found on.
A few years later they started using a smaller version of the big wall and traveled across the country so everyone could see it. They were at Parks Air College one weekend so Debbie John Justin and I went. Debbie lasted about 10 minutes. We left.
And now here it is 2004 and John Kerry's pigeon's have come home to roost. I was never in Vietnam but many of my friends were. They are livid that Kerry would rip open those old wounds AND pretend he was some kind of hero. How LOW can a person get?
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We will not quickly join those who march on Veterans' Day waving small flags, calling to memory those
thousands who died for the "greater glory of the United States." We will not accept the rhetoric. We will
not readily join the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars-in fact, we will find it hard to join
anything at all and when we do, we will demand relevancy such as other organizations have recently been
unable to provide. We will not take solace from the creation of monuments or the naming of parks after a
select few of the thousands of dead Americans and Vietnamese. We will not uphold traditions which
decorously memorialize that which was base and grim.

Tobette,

You brought tears to my eyes, it brought back the momories of taking the kids to the Traveling Wall when it came to town. I never shed so many tears as I did that day, this was while the kids were little and 2 of them weren't in the Navy yet.

I just can't get a grip on Kerry after what he wrote in The New Soldier which I pasted into here. This man should never be allowed to step foot on hollowed ground.

With Veterans Day coming up shortly after the elections we CAN NOT have this man in the White House.

Honor, Courage and Committment
something John F. Kerry doesn't have
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it many times. John "Benedict Arnold" Kerry should not be allowed within 1000 meters of any war monument.

It would be a desecration.
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: he is a creep Reply with quote

David Ives Mixter's name is there and he to was an elite, east coast

rich, Yale , only he joined the Army prior to his draft notice

then when in the Army chose Special Forces, then when in

Vietnam chose the Studies and Observation Group (SOG)

and was kerry's "last to die" of the SOG's IN CAMBODIA

1971 AS KERRY SHAMED HIM.

and kerry did not take him there in his swiftboat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: