SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry appearance - American Legion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notjfk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interplay of the Hurricanes and the election will be interesting.

You would think that it would help Kerry out, because people will be thinking "we need a big gov't democrat in office who can give us alot of money when this happens again," but, Bush does have an opportunity to help out the people of Florida here, and it may help him.
WebTalk
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel badly for the FLA residents who will be affected by this natural disaster, but from the strictly political view point at this critical political juncture it does present itself as an opportunity for the Bush administration to shine. During the last one, Charles, they seemed to pull off a very positive response, although the final spin may not be in yet.

This is a critical opportunity for this administration to shine. I only hope they realize the magnitude of the impact of this natural disaster and are prepared to respond beyond all expectations.

Again, God speed to all in the path of this storm.
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent article by Ralph Peters

Vets for sale?

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/19097.htm

YESTERDAY, in front of the American Legion's Na tional Convention, John Kerry made his most disgraceful speech since he lied about atrocities to Congress three decades ago. By making promises he doesn't mean and can't keep, he tried to buy the votes of American veterans.
Had he offered each vet a $5 bill and a shot of whisky for their support, his performance could not have been shabbier.

Before getting to a few examples of his breathtaking cynicism, let's put two crucial questions to the junior senator from Massachusetts:

First question: Sen. Kerry, will you admit that you lied to Congress and the American people when you stated that our troops routinely committed atrocities, and that rape, torture and murder were sanctioned by our military chain of command?

Second question: Will you apologize to our Vietnam-era veterans for the lies you told?

This means a direct, no-waffling, public apology. Will you tell our vets, the living and the dead, that you're sorry?

Of course not. John Kerry wants to have it both ways. But he isn't going to get the military vote. Perhaps the best line making its way around veterans' Web sites these days is: "A Kerry defeat would be the welcome-home parade we never had."

......see the link
bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how it was possible for any veteran to sit through that speech and not be fuming with anger? Do they not know of his disgraceful speeches in 1971? Anybody with a smidgen of patriotism would have walked out of that room!
WebTalk
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Kerry makes Bill Clinton look like a paragon of integrity).

Kinda says it all about the DNC nominee.

Those American Legion conventioneers showed great restraint in not shouting "TOTAL BS, and GET OUT!"
RivanG
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry Salutes American Legion He Once Despised

September 1, 2004

Listen to Rush…
(…play sound bites from the energetic Kerry speech and the Lurch's new theme song)

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I haven't bothered to listen anymore, I'm just watching Senator Kerry speak at the American Legion. I have one sound bite for you from the American Legion. Oh, we got a cute little Kerry song I want to follow the sound bite with. But first, Mr. Snerdley noticed something, and I wanted to pass this on to you, for those of you who have access to a television set. They're shooting Kerry a little differently today than they shot Bush. I'm speaking here of the camera angle. Yesterday when Bush was at the American Legion you could see many, many, happy, smiling faces standing behind him. Always the backdrop there and they were members of the American Legion. They were back there and you could see them, they were wearing their uniforms or their get-up. Kerry is speaking in front of an empty backdrop. There is no humanity behind him. And we're sitting here wondering why is that. Now, it could be that the candidate has requested that nobody be standing behind him because, after all, anybody else in the picture would take away from him. If you can look at other people in the picture, you probably would. And knowing this guy's ego and his desire to stand out he may well have said, "I don't want any of you people behind me. This is my speech."

Or, just as likely, uh, ladies and gentlemen, it could well be -- ah, now the camera is widened -- you know what? The camera was tight, because they just pulled on a wide shot, and there are people behind Kerry. So discount the first theory, the second theory is accurate. Kerry finished? He's already through? He got one standing O, folks, when he was finished. One standing O and that's when the camera widened out and that's when we could see people behind him. I'll bet you what happened was they didn't want people behind him because they didn't want to see a bunch of people with no reaction. They didn't want the audience sitting behind Kerry to be seen as listless, uninterested, or what have you. Here's one little sound bite from Kerry's speech and this is a portion of his remarks early on in his address.

KERRY: Eighty-five years ago, as all of you know, the American Legion was founded by and for our nation's veterans.

RUSH: Hear the energy here?

KERRY: As one of those veterans who has benefited from your advocacy and one of the members, I'm honored to accept this invitation to be here today, and I am proud of what the American Legion does every single day to advance the ideals of America. We are grateful.

(Playing of Gilligan's Island Kerry spoof.)

RUSH: Yes, my friends, a little Gilligan's Island theme for John Kerry. So he sits there, and he says that he's proud of the American Legion, honored to accept the invitation to be there, to speak to them today, proud of what the American Legion does every single day to advance the ideals of America. In 1971, this book that he wrote, The New Soldier, that is now easily available but used to not be, Kerry tried to get this book burned. I want to read to you a passage from this book. In fact, re-cue, if you would, sound bite 22. I wasn't quite ready for the song when it began. Here we go now. Kerry wrote in his book, The New Soldier, 1971, "We will not quickly join those who march on veterans day waving small flags, calling to memory those thousands who died for the greater glory of the United States. We will not readily join the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars."

KERRY: Eighty-five years ago, as all of you know, the American Legion was founded by and for our nation's veterans.

RUSH: Hm-hm.

KERRY: As one of those veterans who has benefited from your advocacy--

RUSH: Hmm.

KERRY: and one of the members I'm honored to accept this invitation to be here today, and I am proud of what the American Legion does every single day to advance the ideals of America.

RUSH: Hm-hm.

KERRY: We are grateful.

RUSH: Yes. And again he wrote in 1971, "We will not quickly join those who march on veterans day, waving small flags, calling to memory those thousands who died for the greater glory of the United States. We will not readily join the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars." John Kerry, some 33 years ago. And I'm sure he would not prefer to have this mentioned to people, have them be reminded of this, but we just can't let this pass. It is our duty, ladies and gentlemen, the people have a right to know.

END TRANSCRIPT
rjas77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the left slant from the Toronto Star

Kerry's speech was applauded about three dozen times by the legion, of which he is himself a member. He even received a standing ovation, defying campaign predictions of a tough crowd.

Toronto Star Article

I didn't see it, but can anyone verify it?

(Admin note - fixed long link)
dukeblue
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpilch wrote:
just as a note for the person talking about California, Rasmussen has it 54-38 Kerry in California. I live here, and unfortunately it is true. Just try and win Ohio and Florida, that's what we need....

Question You have a poll which is after this one? Kerry 51- Bush 42 in CA Question
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/California%20August%2028.htm
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's within 5 in every other CA poll i've seen but Rasmussen
NavyBrat
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjas77 wrote:
..snip...

Kerry's speech was applauded about three dozen times by the legion, of which he is himself a member. He even received a standing ovation, defying campaign predictions of a tough crowd.

I didn't see it, but can anyone verify it?

If Kerry indeed received a standing ovation, and this much applause from the Legion, pictures of it would have been plastered all over the front pages of every newspaper. We would have been hearing it from every pundit on TV..

Maybe he received a standing ovation from 5 people in the audience?? Wink

LOVED that new Gilligan's island parody!! Though I think the creators
should have added George Soros name in there somewhere Wink
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyBrat wrote:

If Kerry indeed received a standing ovation, and this much applause from the Legion, pictures of it would have been plastered all over the front pages of every newspaper. We would have been hearing it from every pundit on TV..

Maybe he received a standing ovation from 5 people in the audience?? Wink

The only ones i heard about that were standing, were the one's that got up to walk out. Laughing
WalterW
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See today's NY Post VETS FOR SALE?

The New York Post wrote:
...The guy is an eel in a vat of olive oil.

Yesterday, John Kerry tried to pander to America's heroes, conveniently forgetting that he'd trashed them for political gain, then shortchanged them throughout his Senate career. Suddenly, Kerry was the man who had fought for benefits for his fellow Vietnam vets, the man who felt their pain (Kerry makes Bill Clinton look like a paragon of integrity).

The only veterans' benefit young John Kerry fought for was the right of vets to be spit upon in public.

NavyBrat
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The only ones i heard about that were standing, were the one's that got up to walk out. Laughing

Watch it now, according to the Liberal's pocket dictionary of word spins,
that would constitute a standing ovation Very Happy
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported on several networks here that the American Legion did stand for applause at the conclusion of Kerry's speech.
ArmyMedicsMom
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taped it last night on CSpan.

Kerry said Thank you, gave a Salute, immediately walked to his right, where approximately 40 people were standing, some clapping, some not.

Kerry shook hands/spoke to 13 people, pointed and waved his hands around as to look for directions off the stage.

He went in the other direction, where there were another 45 or so people, waved and pointed for directions again, shook hands with approximately 17 people and was down some steps and out of there.

Not what I would consider a standing ovation, just clapping, some with enthusiasm, some not, and some not clapping at all, some smiling, and some with very stern looking faces.

They were standing respectfully, not with ovation enthusiasm.

From "Thank you" to out of view...93 seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: