SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gonna Hit the fan now!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Gonna Hit the fan now! Reply with quote

From Newsmax.com:

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/2/120951.shtml

Sounds great to me! Also was wondering if any of you guys that have friends and loved ones in Iraq could send the transcript and/or tape of Zell Miller's speech to them.
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news. I wonder how hard the MSM will try to cover it up?
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could get interesting! But...

From the Newsmax article:

"It is to your best interest to have your record in good order," General Thomas Wilkerson, the president of the U.S. Naval Institute, told Lipscomb. "If it is wrong, you are accountable. And if you use it to advance your career, it is even more important.”

A general speaking for the Navy?? What's up with that? What is the U.S. Naval Institute?? This does not sound like an official Navy spokesperson or investigation. Sorry to disappoint.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for the "Navy records support Kerry" defense Razz Razz Razz

Keep up the good works guys.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was right. If this general and the U.S. Naval Institute are the source for this interview than it is not official Navy.

Here is the link to USNI:

http://www.usni.org/

They are an independent 501(C)3 corp.
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: to Hammer2 Reply with quote

A Marine General could be part of the Navy ... And the US Naval Institute is not a official government org but its the next best thing ... may even be better, it deals with vets ...
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: to Hammer2 Reply with quote

FF1047 wrote:
A Marine General could be part of the Navy ... And the US Naval Institute is not a official government org but its the next best thing ... may even be better, it deals with vets ...

You are right. Here is an exerpt from the institute's newsletter announcing Gen. Wilkerson assuming the top post:

The Naval Institute's hunt for a new CEO/Publisher is over. Tom Wilkerson accepted the Board of Directors' offer to become the Naval Institute's new leader. Tom Wilkerson is a retired Marine major general F/A-18 pilot who has been working in private industry for the past five years since retiring from the Corps. A 1967 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Tom Wilkerson is a 27-year member of the Naval Institute who has served on the organization's Board of Directors/Editorial Board (1992–1997) and the Naval Institute Foundation's Board of Trustees (2000–2002). As a serving officer, Tom Wilkerson wrote for Proceedings, and he frequently has participated in our seminar program as speaker, panelist, and moderator—most recently at Warfare 2003 in Virginia Beach, 8–9 October. Link to full article here: http://www.usni.org/proceedings/articles03/propubpage11.htm

Although not officil Navy - this organization is located on the campus at Annapolis and has been around for decades. Any point of view coming from them carries enormous credibility, they will not be easily dismissed.
montanaguard
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: What do you mean by MSM in your postings. Reply with quote

I do not know what MSM means. Can you spell it out for me.

Confused in Montana.

Thanks.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you mean by MSM in your postings. Reply with quote

montanaguard wrote:
I do not know what MSM means. Can you spell it out for me.

Confused in Montana.

Thanks.

It means Main Stream Media you know, ABCCBSNBCPBSMSNBCCNNNEWYORKTIMESLOSANGELESTIMESWASHINGTONPOST they are all the same.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSM = mainstream media such as networks, CNN, LA Times, NY Times, Washington Post; more accurate would be LM = leftist media
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put many members of the AP on their and yahoo lately has been prominently displaying inflammatory headlines on these issues.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Woll wrote:
I would put many members of the AP on their and yahoo lately has been prominently displaying inflammatory headlines on these issues.

Sorry, I forgot the wire services AP,UPI,Reuters etc. Note that they are the source of many of the articles in the MSM. Many of their reporters are not Americans and are not based in the US. Particularly on reporting from Iraq, a lot of the most inflamatory wire stories are coming from Arab reporters.
I wonder if they are moonlighting from Al-Jezeera?
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought by now you folks would know better than to believe scuttlebutt like this.

To wit:

a) the article, from a dubious source as NewsMax, doesn't indentify the "Navy spokesman". I find that suspicious.

b) the US Naval Institute is (as has already been mentioned) not an official source for the US Navy, so whatever they might say about the matter carries absolutely zero weight.

c) Judicial Watch? Is it really necessary to even bring up how irrelevant they are? Check their record: many lawsuits threatened, but how many of the threats have been carried out (something about actions speaking louder than words applies here) and of those that might have been brought, how many have been won?
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: to Hammer2 Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
[Although not officil Navy - this organization is located on the campus at Annapolis and has been around for decades. Any point of view coming from them carries enormous credibility, they will not be easily dismissed.

BrianC wrote:
I thought by now you folks would know better than to believe scuttlebutt like this.

To wit:

a) the article, from a dubious source as NewsMax, doesn't indentify the "Navy spokesman". I find that suspicious.

b) the US Naval Institute is (as has already been mentioned) not an official source for the US Navy, so whatever they might say about the matter carries absolutely zero weight.

c) Judicial Watch? Is it really necessary to even bring up how irrelevant they are? Check their record: many lawsuits threatened, but how many of the threats have been carried out (something about actions speaking louder than words applies here) and of those that might have been brought, how many have been won?

The USNI is a heavyweight. They may not be official Navy, but they are a source that has connections to the highest people in the Navy. If they are saying Kerry's record is suspect, the Navy will take them seriously. Wether or not the Navy will act on it is the real question.
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: to Hammer2 Reply with quote

So what you're saying is that the Department of the Navy requires input from a social club to be told how it should proceed?

Please!

The Navy has plenty of SOP on how to proceed in such matters, and one man's opinion at USNI isn't suddenly going to mean that the Navy is going to open up a can of whoop-ass on a 30-year-old record.

Geez, folks, there's bigger fish to fry on what may well be a typo in someone's records. I know there's a few in my own! Should I turn myself in and throw myself at the mercy of the US Naval Institute?

Enough already!

Do a google search on "Liu Chaoying" and "Kerry" and see if you're as concerned with a letter "V" in his DD-214.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: