SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urban Legends

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Urban Legends Reply with quote

Seems like the identification of topics and issues as Urban Legends to discredit them has become a popular approach on the board lately, so here's some from "SNOPES" that you might find interesting (BTW, both sides are shown here in fairness.. I didn't just cherry-pick the anti-Kerry examples... also, the headlines don't indicate whether the claims are false or true.... you'll need to click for yourself. Very Happy Even when the SNOPES folks indicate true or false, often the write-up provides some good additional info... happy reading):

Senator John Kerry referred to a Secret Service agent as a "son of a *****.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/cussword.asp

Photograph shows Senator John Kerry at a 1970 anti-war rally.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/kerry.asp

John Kerry's Vietnam War service medals
http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp

Senator John Kerry's wife owns Heinz, a company that outsources much of its work abroad.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/heinz.asp

Photograph shows Senator John Kerry and Jane Fonda sharing a speaker's platform at an anti-war rally.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/kerry2.asp

Quotes reproduce statements made by Democratic leaders about Saddam Hussein's acquisition or possession of weapons of mass destruction.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

Didn't find anything on SNOPES indicating that the "spitting on Vietnam Vets" is an Urban Legend though....

Keith
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first link reminds me of the time Bush referred to a reporter as "a major league *******."

From this link: http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/bushcuss.asp
Quote:
Claim: President Bush once referred to a reporter as a "major league *******."

The second link shows a rally two years before Fonda visited Vietnam in which Kerry is at least 5 rows behind her. No clue as to whether they met or not, which would be the clincher and explains why Photoshop was required to put them in closer proximity.

And you left out the evil counterpart to the second link. Click here:

The third link says that Kerry's medals were NOT earned under fishy circumstances. To wit:

Quote:
Claim: John Kerry's Vietnam War service medals (a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and three Purple Hearts) were earned under "fishy" circumstances.

The fourth link, like the above, is a rebuttal to rightwingers:

Quote:
Claim: Senator John Kerry's wife owns Heinz, a company that outsources much of its work abroad.

The fifth describes how rightwingers used Photoshop to link Kerry (I mentioned this above as the "evil twin" to your only legitimate photo)
http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/kerry2.asp :
Quote:
Claim: Photograph shows Senator John Kerry and Jane Fonda sharing a speaker's platform at an anti-war rally.

The last link I've already addressed. Many Democrats were suckered by Bush, who distorted the content of his own highly classified PDB's. And the Democrats didn't jump head first into a war that has since turned out to be highly regrettable. They'd have exercised more caution before alienating the entire world except Coalitionistan.

Keith, do you understand how the urban myth site works? They debunk or confirm rumours. When they say "FALSE" it means "urban myth" and not true. When they report "True" it means it's not an urban myth.
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky.. please pay attention. What did I say?

Quote:
(BTW, both sides are shown here in fairness.. I didn't just cherry-pick the anti-Kerry examples... also, the headlines don't indicate whether the claims are false or true.... you'll need to click for yourself. Even when the SNOPES folks indicate true or false, often the write-up provides some good additional info... happy reading):

Also, the link you said I left out is there... I didn't leave it out.

sparky wrote:

The second link shows a rally two years before Fonda visited Vietnam in which Kerry is at least 5 rows behind her. No clue as to whether they met or not, which would be the clincher and explains why Photoshop was required to put them in closer proximity.

That photo was not retouched.. the other one was.

sparky wrote:
Keith, do you understand how the urban myth site works? They debunk or confirm rumours. When they say "FALSE" it means "urban myth" and not true. When they report "True" it means it's not an urban myth.

You do read the posts and understand them before you respond, don't you? Razz

Unlike those who claim to read various sources and look at both sides of an issue, I actually do... and I'm not afraid to share the truth even if it doesn't support my personal agenda.

Keith
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly appreciate your fairness. Thanks for posting so much information beneficial to Kerry, including the assertion that Kerry's medals were legitimate and that claims to the contrary -- made by nearly all of the conservatives here -- are urban myths.

I just knew Kerry's medals were legitimate!
http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp

And I appreciate your providing that link showing that Kerry critics had used Photoshop to falsify a Kerry/Fonda photo.

Your evenhandedness is actually pretty impressive (and rare). I couldn't even match it Very Happy
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
Thanks for posting so much information beneficial to Kerry, including the assertion that Kerry's medals were legitimate and that claims to the contrary -- made by nearly all of the conservatives here -- are urban myths.

Your evenhandedness is actually pretty impressive (and rare). I couldn't even match it Very Happy

Thanks for noticing.
Very Happy

However, the data is not beneficial or harmful to Kerry, it just is. Truth benefits everyone. Folks need to make their decision in November based upon their own core set of beliefs and who they believe will best represent them in the White House. I believe that there is enough true information about John Kerry that bothers me to make my decision easy without my having to dig up false stuff. Others may not value the same things I value and may agree with Kerry's positions or support his actions or find that those things don't bother them... it's a free country, no?

However, truth applies to George Bush as well, and the hate that some feel for him (for reasons I confess I do not understand) is causing folks to find fault in him for everything that goes wrong in the world. I believe that:

1) It's much harder to hear someone when they are shouting at you
2) You can't have an intelligent discussion if you don't listen to the other person
3) The easiest way to lose a debate is to attack your opponent personally (and you may be the only one to not realize you lost)
4) I can live with losing a debate; losing my integrity is unacceptable. As such, it is important to clearly differentiate between what I believe to be facts and what I know to be my own opinion
5) You may have a slight chance of influencing someone's opinion if you listen, acknowledge, respond and then present your position while insisting on the same courtesy from your opponent; you will have no chance of influencing anyone if they do not respect you; the easiest way to lose someone's respect is to disrespect them

Just my thoughts... Sorry for getting sappy and ruining the mood of the posts here Embarassed

Keith
Jim
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this info quite enlightening. I have not heard of SNOPES before...is this an accepted and legitimate site that "debunks" urban myths, as you've called them?

Or is there more (or less) to this site and its politics? I'm not trying to undermine your info at all, just am sincerely curious as to this site's merit.
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
I found this info quite enlightening. I have not heard of SNOPES before...is this an accepted and legitimate site that "debunks" urban myths, as you've called them?

Or is there more (or less) to this site and its politics? I'm not trying to undermine your info at all, just am sincerely curious as to this site's merit.

Fair question.

www.snopes.com

is a site that has been around for a long time. The folks that run it specialize in either proving or disproving much of the garbage circulating (mostly on the NET these days). Very small percent refers to politics.. I just searched their site for "Kerry". Most of the hits weren't even about John Kerry.

I don't think I've actually detected a political slant to SNOPES... they're just looking for the truth Smile

Interesting stuff on that site.

Keith
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, the Snopes site is generally considered the most authoritative urban myth site on the net.
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
Jim, the Snopes site is generally considered the most authoritative urban myth site on the net.

Confirmation from both sides... I can feel the love in the room Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: