SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KERRY AWARDS-Investigation Request by Judicial Watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCHUTZHUND
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: KERRY AWARDS-Investigation Request by Judicial Watch Reply with quote

For Immediate Release
Sep 2, 2004 Contact: Press Office
202-646-5172

PENTAGON INSPECTOR GENERAL CONTACTS SECRETARY OF THE NAVY ABOUT KERRY AWARDS

Reacts to Investigation Request by Judicial Watch

(Washington, DC) Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption and abuse, announced today that the Inspector General (“IG”) of the Department of Defense has informed the Secretary of the Navy of Judicial Watch’s “formal complaint and request for investigation, determination and final disposition of the awards granted to Lieutenant (junior grade) John Forbes Kerry, U.S. Naval Reserve.”

The Defense Department IG cited Section 8(d) of the Inspector General Act of 1978, which states: “. . . the IG of the Department of Defense shall expeditiously report suspected or alleged violations of chapter 47 of title 10, United States Code (Uniform Code of Military Justice), to the Secretary of the military department concerned or the Secretary of Defense.”

On August 18, 2004, Judicial Watch filed a complaint and request for investigation and final disposition of awards granted to Kerry with the Inspectors General of the Department of Defense and the Department of the Navy, as well as the Chief of Naval Operations and the Navy’s Board of Decorations and Medals. See the complaint and the Department of Defense IG letter by clicking here.

On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, Judicial Watch called upon Senator Kerry to remove the Silver Star citation from his political campaign Internet site pending a review of the granting of the award by the U.S. Navy. Senator Kerry’s political Internet site displays a document listing a “Silver Star with Combat ‘V.’” The Combat “V” device is never awarded with the nation’s third highest award for heroism. A U.S. Navy spokesperson has reportedly stated: “The Navy has never issued a ‘Combat V’ to anyone for a Silver Star.” Additionally, former Navy Secretary John Lehman was quoted with respect to the Silver Star citation as saying: “It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me.”

“We hope this is the beginning of an actual investigation of the legitimacy of Senator Kerry’s awards by the Navy and the Pentagon,” stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton.
militarybrat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Awards Reply with quote

It is about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fox News just carried the story ....
SKLOHR
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: IG investigation Reply with quote

I suspect the chances of getting any results prior to Nov 2nd are slim to null? It's a tragedy that John Kerry has gotten this far with as much information that is available as a matter of public record! Regardless of the outcome of the election, I pray that President Bush is re-elected, I hope this site continues and the investigation is brought to public view.

I suspect that any proof that may have exhisted is probably destroyed by now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: