SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudly
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Coming Home Reply with quote

I recently returned from another tour in Iraq. Our return trip took us through Bangor, Maine. Now this is always a good stop because there is a nice little bar there that serves some ice cold beer.
The first time coming home we had a nice reception. Some vets and retired men and women. This last time they were there in hords. It was most unexpected. They lined the walkway and pumped our hands, many thank you's were exchanged.
My point here is that I can only imagine what Vietnam Veterans must have endured walking through airports after returning. I finally had to step out of the line and bypass all this. Here were veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam. These men saw and experienced much more than we did. Having never been in those battles I can only assume that the chaos and confusion is the same.

I am now nearing retirement and will soon be one of those welcoming the troops home. I have always gone out of my way to thanks veterans from previous wars. So, to all, thank you.
J Robertson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudly,

I have been to Bangor a few times myself and was happy last time to get to talk to a few guys in uniform and thank them for thier service. If you wern't one of them....Well, thanks for all you have done!
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually born in Bangor, at the Dow AFB hospital (it's now the airport, I believe). I'm happy to hear the troops get support there, that's not true in too many places. I returned to San Francisco in 1975 from 2 years overseas and didn't see much of a "welcome". At least I didn't get spit on, but nobody shook my hand, that's for sure. Welcome back and thanks.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a son in Iraq, who was home on leave a month ago. He said that the treatment they received on the way home was first class. They had two guys drop a couple 20 dollar bills on the table while they were having lunch, thanking them and wanting to pay for their lunch. Then the busineesman sitting next to them they had been talking to thanked them and picked up their tab along with his and walked to the cashier. Now thats first class.
My son even commented that he is now able to earn 40 bucks an hour while eating.
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Quote:
I returned to San Francisco in 1975 from 2 years overseas and didn't see much of a "welcome". At least I didn't get spit on, but nobody shook my hand, that's for sure.

I came thru San Fran after a Travis "Discharge at Port," on my way back home in '74. I *did* get abuse from the balcony: tomatoes, eggs and "baby killer" epithets... The "war" was over by then and the 'children' were probably just bored, but it still sticks in my gullet. I wasn't "thanked" 'till after Gulf War I for being in service. Glad it's different for the folk coming back to 'The World' now. They deserve a warm reception.

To all of them: a heartfelt "Welcome home, and THANK YOU!"

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
USMCDoc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: We also passed through Bangor Reply with quote

Whem my unit came home from an overseas assignment during Desert Storm, we also passed through Bangor. The local people had prepared sandwiches, coffee, and homemade cookies. Best meal I had in months. People were shaking our hands and kids were asking for autographs. It was fantastic. I also remember a Viet Nam vet who had to be ordered to stay on the plane by the CO becuase he was suffering because the last time he had stepped off a plane from a military assignment he was spat on by protestors. Thank God that did not happen to us and we received a warm welcome. I will never forget and I would like to thank those people at Bangor Maine who gave us that reception. I am glad returning servicemen are still receiving a decent welcome home. Semper Fi - God, Country, Corps.
blackbear5
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Bangor airport Reply with quote

When my unit returned from the Gulf War in 1991 we passed through Bangor. We were greeted by a terminal full of total strangers who were just awesome. They greeted every troop who came off the plane. The plane was full of reservist/NG folks from L.A. (that is lower Alabama). They gave us a very heartfelt thanks for our service.

I graduated from the University of Maine a few miles up the road from Bangor (hence the name Blackbear5). I have nothing but praise for those folks in the terminal that day. I will remember it until the day I die.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: