SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush pulls a swift one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaRae
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Bush pulls a swift one Reply with quote

Bush pulls a Swift one

He has Kerry caught in a dilemma
on soft-money attack ads

Everybody knows President Bush is a bass fisherman. But the President has spent most of August reeling in a more exotic specimen: the Giant New England Slack-Jaw.
Years from now, when tales of the catch are told around GOP campfires, small boys will marvel at how the supposedly intelligent Kerryfish swallowed Bush's bait, hook, line and sinker.

Slack-jaw season started in January, when John Kerry won the Iowa caucuses with help from a band of Vietnam character witnesses. At the time, Bush realized three simple truths:

1) Kerry would be his Democratic opponent. 2) The theme of Kerry's campaign would be his heroic military service. 3) Kerry would fund his campaign largely with so-called 527 soft money put up by anti-Bush billionaires who until then had been flirting with Howard Dean.

On May 4, a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth held a press conference in Washington, denouncing Kerry. It is possible Bush was taken by surprise by this. It is also possible the moon's made of blue cheese.

Still, it is highly doubtful that Bush put the Swifties up to their attack. He didn't need to. They obviously hate Kerry's guts. All the President had to do was sit quietly and watch. Patience is the fisherman's friend.

Some of the Swiftie charges against Kerry's war record are highly debatable. Others - that Kerry invented a "life-changing" experience in Cambodia or that he slandered U.S. troops when he came home from the war - are matters of public record.

Either way, one thing is indisputable: The allegations have done Kerry a great deal of harm.

It took him a surprisingly long time to realize that. When he did, he tried to get off the hook in awkward ways - dispatching lawyers to scare TV stations into censoring Swiftie ads, pressuring bookstores to ban the Swiftie bible, "Unfit to Command," even appealing to the toothless Federal Election Commission to make his erstwhile comrades-in-arms shut up. But to no avail.

Finally Kerry demanded that Bush himself step in and silence the Swifties. It was a moment Bush had been waiting for.

On Monday, down in Crawford, Tex., Dubya hitched up his jeans, sauntered out to a press conference and allowed as to how he'd be glad to help his worthy opponent. But, just to be fair, he said, let's shut down the negative campaigning by all 527 groups. Goodbye, Swifties. So long, MoveOn. Just say the word, Sen. Kerry, and we'll take all the nasty dollars out of politics.

But Kerry hasn't said that word. He probably can't. His entire campaign finance structure is predicated on 527 money. Of the top 10 soft donors, nine are Kerry supporters. Combined, they have already raised more than $100 million for the Democrats. The Swifties, by contrast, have raised much less than 1% of that. For Bush, soft money is just a dab of Texas perfume; for Kerry, it's oxygen.

So, the President comes off as the champion of upright McCain-Feingold reform, while Kerry is stuck with George Soros & Co. If the senator cuts off his billionaire backers, he suffocates. If he sticks with Soros, et al., he's stuck with the Swifties, too. That's a hook Kerry can wriggle on until Nov. 2. Then Bush will throw him back.

The 43rd President is often said by his critics to be a dunce. Maybe. But in politics, as in fishing, you don't have to be a genius. You just have to be smarter than the fish.

NY Daily News
theflickster
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/225325p-193549c.html

Here is the link to the story. I had to go find it because that is one I will forward on Smile
LaRae
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theflickster wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/225325p-193549c.html

Here is the link to the story. I had to go find it because that is one I will forward on Smile

Thanks! Sorry I was on my way to edit (with the link) and I got sidetracked!!

LaRae
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bush pulls a swift one Reply with quote

LaRae wrote:

The 43rd President is often said by his critics to be a dunce. Maybe. But in politics, as in fishing, you don't have to be a genius. You just have to be smarter than the fish.

Very True. Razz Thanks for another good Link to forward on to my "undecideds".
FireDog53
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bush pulls a swift one Reply with quote

[quote="The 43rd President is often said by his critics to be a dunce. Maybe. But in politics, as in fishing, you don't have to be a genius. You just have to be smarter than the fish.[/quote]

You know those democrats keep underestimating Bush. I hope it never stops. No matter who you are, Harvard doesn't just hand out MBA's.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to geedunk shortly. Please keep the main page on the topic of Kerry and the Swift Boat Vets. Thankyou
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats surprises me is that the NY DailyNews is somewhat left leaning
democratic paper. NY Post a bit right wing. But these are NYC papers,
in a highly Democratic populace.

What even surprised me more was hunting about in the NY Daily News
forums.

go to http://www.nydailynews.com/services/forums/

and check out the Bush Vs Kerry Forum. If these posters are mostly
New Yorkers ( and they sound like it "laying wood into peoples heads" Shocked ),
then it not looking to good for Kerry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: