SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAVY ISSUES CEASE AND DESIST LETTER TO SWIFT BOAT GROUP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hesiod
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: NAVY ISSUES CEASE AND DESIST LETTER TO SWIFT BOAT GROUP Reply with quote

The United States Navy, today, sent a Cease and Desist letter to the political group "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" asking them to stop using the U.S. Navy logo on their website, and misrepresenting themselves as being officially affliated or endorsed by the Navy.*

"We have a long tradition of remaining absolutely neutral in political matters," said Navy Spokesman Captain James Meyerson. "More importantly, it's a violation of federal law for the Navy to endorse any political campaign or cause," according to Meyerson.

Critics of the political group note that it is particularly ironic that it misused the Navy logo on its website, while at the same time sending the Kerry campaign its own "cease and desist" letter asking him to stop using a group photo from Kerry's Vietnam stint that shows a number of the group's members.

"They're a bunch of political hacks who only care about smearing John Kerry and proppiong up George W. Bush," said a source close to the Bush campaign who is insufferably pleased with how gullible and stupid the Swift Boat group has turned out to be, and only spoke on condition that his name not be used. "Boy, are they fools. We are slashing veterans benefts left and right in the next budget once the President gets re-elected. And these suckers are doing our dirty work for free!"

The Kerry campaign refused to comment, citing more important issues like the continuing problematic occupation in Iraq, spiraling health care costs, insufficient job creation, and a ballooning federal budget defecit, that are occupying the candidate and the campaign's time.

*This is a spoof article
Saint
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think this is something they should look into as every so called "veteran" I have seen posting on here in regards to this "site" is a disgrace to the men and women who serve this great country. You people are not even dignified to give or recieve a hoooah. Confused
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint wrote:
Actually I think this is something they should look into as every so called "veteran" I have seen posting on here in regards to this "site" is a disgrace to the men and women who serve this great country. You people are not even dignified to give or recieve a hoooah. Confused

Saint, you are proof of the adage that given enough time, a hundred chimpanzees in front of typewriters will produce the works of Shakespeare.

You just haven't had enough time yet.
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint wrote:

Sorry, I just can't resist this monkey. Please, if you are going to say something about disgrace to our men and women in the service, please put it into the right context, "Kerry is the one who has disgraced the service men and women" That's ok, just keep jumping up and down, you are making and even better case as to why NOT vote for Kerry!!
Saint
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navymomx2 wrote:
Saint wrote:

Sorry, I just can't resist this monkey. Please, if you are going to say something about disgrace to our men and women in the service, please put it into the right context, "Kerry is the one who has disgraced the service men and women" That's ok, just keep jumping up and down, you are making and even better case as to why NOT vote for Kerry!!

Well DullardMom, if you would take the oppertunity to actually read facts and look at Kerrys Fitness report from the Navy which you think so highly of, then you would not have your uninformed opinion and look like such a fool in front of the other ladies at Walmart when you go shoot your mouth off about Kerry. How is Kerry a disgrace for Volunteering to serve, actually serving. Standing up for his beliefs by telling people the Vietnam war was wrong and we should not be sacrificing young lives over there...vs Bush who avoided the war at all costs and was AWOL and Cheney who took a Student deferment. The logic here escapes me. You are indeed an ignorant piece of white trash. Maybe if your son or daughter gets killed in the Navy doing the work of the Bush war of Lies, you will wake up and understand that WAR is not that glamourous after all.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Best response to these trolls is not to respond. Try it for a couple of days and I think they’ll go away. Just an opinion!

Regards.
Hesiod
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that nobody from SBVFT or its supporters cared to address the point of my spoof post.

Namely the blatant hypocrisy with which the group shamelessly uses the US Navy logo on their website, and then asks John Kerry to cease and desist using a photo from his own collection in one of his campaign ads because the bitter old politoical hacks in the photo changed their minds about John Kerry when it looked like he was about to bump off George W. Bush in the 2004 election.
morfdq
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont get it ASPB, we are not going away. We will be here until Bush is voted out. See this is how it works for every 1 thing you post about Bush we find 30 things that he has done wrong. The fact is that you will run out of positive things to say before we run out of negative.
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: it's about Kerry, numbnuts ... Reply with quote

Kerry = liar, slanderer, no honor. That's what this is about. End of story.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint wrote:
if you would take the oppertunity to actually read facts and look at Kerrys Fitness report from the Navy which you think so highly of, then you would not have your uninformed opinion

I've read them. And as an Officer who has read more than a few OERs and who has written more than a few as well, I can tell you that Kerry's are not anything special.
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint wrote:
Navymomx2 wrote:
Saint wrote:

Well DullardMom, if you would take the oppertunity to actually read facts and look at Kerrys Fitness report from the Navy which you think so highly of, then you would not have your uninformed opinion and look like such a fool in front of the other ladies at Walmart when you go shoot your mouth off about Kerry. How is Kerry a disgrace for Volunteering to serve, actually serving. Standing up for his beliefs by telling people the Vietnam war was wrong and we should not be sacrificing young lives over there...vs Bush who avoided the war at all costs and was AWOL and Cheney who took a Student deferment. The logic here escapes me. You are indeed an ignorant piece of white trash. Maybe if your son or daughter gets killed in the Navy doing the work of the Bush war of Lies, you will wake up and understand that WAR is not that glamourous after all.

Well thank you saint for such a wonderful editorial and compliment. Rolling Eyes Typical Kerry supporter style, LOL!!! Your dribble is amusing, can you come up with something original?

I will address you over my son and daughter, you know nothing about them, but to clue you in a little bit, they both volunteered to join the Navy, they didn't try to go to Paris first like Kerry. They are both serving with great honor, courage and commitment, more than I can say about Kerry. My son joined well before 9/11, my daughter was to go to MEPS on 9/11/01, when that day happened she was more determined to join and do her job. As to if my son and daughter were to get killed they will have atleast served with great honor. They would join the real hero's and not be a self proclaimed hero. They knew what they were getting into joining the service. Don't dis on them just because your candidate doesn't have the same honor, courage and commitment that my family has.

Now, where the hell do you get that I think WAR was glamorous? Oh that's right, it's the Kerry style. Now be gone!!
Jeremy Eaton
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hesiod wrote:
I find it interesting that nobody from SBVFT or its supporters cared to address the point of my spoof post.

LOL
They STILL aren't addressing it! Very Happy
Guess no one is concerned about the veracity of what is stated here.
colmurph
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint wrote:
Navymomx2 wrote:
Saint wrote:

I've taken a very good look at Kerry's fitness reports and they DON'T ADD UP! His first PH was written up 6 days before he joined the unit. Care to explain how that happened? Also there is the back page of a derrogatory fitness report included but not the fromt. How would you like to explain that?
Saint
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colmurph wrote:
Saint wrote:
Navymomx2 wrote:
Saint wrote:

I've taken a very good look at Kerry's fitness reports and they DON'T ADD UP! His first PH was written up 6 days before he joined the unit. Care to explain how that happened? Also there is the back page of a derrogatory fitness report included but not the fromt. How would you like to explain that?

Then complain to the Department of the Navy. I am sure it is not as exemplary as your fitness report though Col. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Armorer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for crying out loud... OK, I'll respond to your quasi-article... not that it rates one BECAUSE IT'S FAKE! Satire, like your "spoof", as you may know is protected by the first amendment, the unauthorized use of an individual's likeness is not, particularly if it is used to construe endorsement.

"Appropriation of the Commercial Value of a Person's Identity: The Right of Publicity
One who appropriates the commercial value of a person's identity by using without consent the person's name, likeness, or other indicia of identity for purposes of trade is subject to liability for the relief appropriate under the rules stated in §§ 48 and 49."

The gentlemen in the photo have not given their consent and more to the point have asked that the use of their likeness be stopped. To my knowledge the Navy has not made any efforts towards the same as regards the Navy crest.

On the other hand... I can't seem to find any order or regulation regarding the use of the Navy "logo" (those of us with pride like to call it a crest). This is not to say that there isn't one out there. The military is very fond of regulations and if it were me I would definately have some sort of reg. But there's a famous four word sentence used by NCOs everywhere when some one comes complaining that their practices aren't fair... "Show me the order." So, if you want to complain, the burden of proof is on you... show me the order. Then when you're all squared away and we've discussed the pertinant facts like grown ups we can come to some conclusion. That's something we can't do with only a "spoof" (see also: lie). American Heritage defines "spoof" as follows:
NOUN:
1. Nonsense; tomfoolery.
2. A hoax.
3. A gentle satirical imitation; a light parody.
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: spoofed, spoof·ing, spoofs
1. To deceive.
2. To do a spoof of; satirize gently.

Now how, exactly, are we supposed to have any sort of coherent debate about a "spoof". That's like basing your foreign policy decisions on The Daily Show... like the DNC.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: